Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil today and rotating my tires when I took off the front left tire I noticed that the whole disc had shifted. So that the wheel studs where no longer centered. Didn't have time to try and straighten it out. When I put the wheel back on I was torquing the the lugs to factory specs 85 ft lbs. when I snapped one of the studs off and another one feels like it is ready to go. When I checked the broken stud with a micrometer it was much thinner towards the part that snapped. So at some point the stud had been stretched. I'm assuming at the factory, because since I've owned the truck I'm the only one that has removed the tires and always do it by hand with a torque wrench. Went to the dealership and the service manager said they would replace the studs tomorrow under warranty. You can see the disc has shifted in the photos also the stretched broken stud.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Do you have spacers? Ron

I was changing my oil today and rotating my tires when I took off the front left tire I noticed that the whole disc had shifted. So that the wheel studs where no longer centered. Didn't have time to try and straighten it out. When I put the wheel back on I was torquing the the lugs to factory specs 85 ft lbs. when I snapped one of the studs off and another one feels like it is ready to go. When I checked the broken stud with a micrometer it was much thinner towards the part that snapped. So at some point the stud had been stretched. I'm assuming at the factory, because since I've owned the truck I'm the only one that has removed the tires and always do it by hand with a torque wrench. Went to the dealership and the service manager said they would replace the studs tomorrow under warranty. You can see the disc has shifted in the photos also the stretched broken stud.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have had 2 lug studs break. I broke one changing a flat and the tire shop broke another a few months later on the same wheel when I got my new tires. The dealer charged me to replace the first one, but the second one was free. I opted to have them get the second one from NAPA instead of toyota since the toyota ones broke twice. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the dealer replaced the studs on that wheel today under warranty, but still no clue as to why the whole disk was off center.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I used to have to replace studs on an 80's car of mine, do to service people using too much torque, ruining the stud, making the lug nut impossible to get off by hand, and when they tried to get it off again with the air power tools, it would twist the stud until it broke. They said they didn't have to repair it cause they asked me if they could keep trying to torque it off and I agreed.... But, I've never had that problem with my FJ or my dealership service. Strange.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Unfortunately I'm now a member of this club too. During a routine tire rotation, the guy at the tire shop sheared off one of the studs and swears he torqued 'em all the same - to spec - and I believe him, the rest are fine. But when I called my Toyota dealer, they said it won't be covered and it'll run me about $100. While that's not the end of the world or anything, I think they should cover it. I put in a call to my sales guy who's helped me before so I'll see what he can do.
I'm sure this is more common than I realize but I've never had it happen and I've owned 17 vehicles and counting.:indifferent:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear it happened to you too. Dealer replaced all the studs on my wheel under warranty.

·
Registered
387 Posts
tire shop snaped one off on mine and the dealer covered it under warranty

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Unfortunately I'm now a member of this club too. During a routine tire rotation, the guy at the tire shop sheared off one of the studs and swears he torqued 'em all the same - to spec - and I believe him, the rest are fine. But when I called my Toyota dealer, they said it won't be covered and it'll run me about $100. While that's not the end of the world or anything, I think they should cover it. I put in a call to my sales guy who's helped me before so I'll see what he can do.
I'm sure this is more common than I realize but I've never had it happen and I've owned 17 vehicles and counting.:indifferent:
Holy crap!!! $100 to change a stud?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Holy crap!!! $100 to change a stud?
Seems like I remember buying lug studs for just a few bucks last time I changed one. Of course the install was complicated. Knock out the old one, stick in the new one, put wheel back on, etc :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
try telling them other dealers are changing replacing them...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
wow lucky for you that you caught it before the wheel came off! that would have been a bad day!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm joining the club now since I was just at the end of rotating my tyres when on my front left snapped off. I'm used to diagnosing other mechanical failures and if you look at the stud that broke, it sheared into the stud, forming a bowl. This is not a typical shear pattern for all of those ME's and material science guys out there. It should be closer to 30-45deg on a 'standard' steel test bit. This leads me to think there may have been a defect or overtorque'd by the factory. FYI I was doing this all by hand, just a simple four way lug wrench, so I find it hard to believe that it sheared quite so easily. I felt it never got close to tight as the wrench just kept turning and turning and...snap oh #$%^!

Guess a few spare lug studs should be kept in the kit if this were to happen overseas on some major expedition.... *sigh* At least it happened in a apartment parking lot.

Chris

·
Registered
834 Posts
ive had a tire shop break one off, last time i went to a non toyota dealer to get service.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Most shops use impact guns on lug nuts. Thats a no no in my opinion. Finger tight on the nuts then use a torque wrench to torque to spec. If there is a defect in the stud then impact gun or torque wrench it will eventually shear off.

N

·
0 Posts
I joined this club today. Went to the local Firestone for a tire rotation (I live in a condo complex and its' not allowed to work on cars in the parking lot) and the driver's side front snapped when the guy was torquing it - with an actual torque wrench! He had it set to 50 ft-lbs I wasn't sure if that was correct, seemed high but I see someone else says 85 ft-lbs. Now I'm not sure what the correct # is and I don't have a repair manual yet.

At any rate, the guy was as nice as could be about it, but I have to bring the truck back tomorrow and they are going to get another lug stud from Toyota and fix it for me at their cost - as it should be.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts