Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mysterious clunk backing out of the driveway this morning. When I got out of the FJ, I found my rear sway bar link had broken clean.

I don't really wheel, nor do push my FJ very hard. Its a daily driver with a 150K on the clock. I'm blaming the harsh, salt filled, Chicagoland winters.

I picked up two sway bar links from Rock Auto for less than $50 delivered. It looks like it should be a quick DIY job.

Is switching these out as easy a job as it appears to be (2 nuts?).

Any one else had their stock sway bar links break?

Any install tips? (I've attached pics.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel like the FJ already drives like I'm riding a snuffleupagus. Without a rear sway bar, isn't it going to be even worse?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The links are easily replaced ... but given your corrosion problem, you need to soak all the threaded fasteners involved with PB Blaster (or some similar penetrating oil) for a few days before you start wrenching.

For a street-driven FJ, you definitely want to keep the anti-sway bar installed & attached.

·
Registered
392 Posts
OP,
When removing the nut where the link attaches to the actual bar, use an Allen wrench to hold the bolt in place or it will just spin with the nut... You will need to use a box end wrench so the Allen wrench can remain in place. Like others have said... soak the bolt and nut with penetrating oil real good... Since you don't off road much, I agree with those that have said to keep your sway bar....
Good Luck..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks good. I'm replacing my stock ones after my superflex coils went in the back. Stock ones just aren't long enough and the aftermarket looks a lot beefier. Plus I live in Colorado so salty winter roads are happeing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts