Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 6MT that suffered a breakdown this week.
My kid was driving it and hit the brakes heavy when a truck pulled out in front of him. He says that his right foot also caught the gas pedal causing the engine revs to lurch up to 6000. Clutch was in so no loss of control.

He heard a pop and after that he had lost drive.

He coasted to a stop but nothing will make the FJ move.
Put the clutch in, stick it in gear and - nothing - just a very slight rubbing sound - not like there is any catastrophic mechanical failure sound - just a light rubbing.

Sounds like something has slipped out of place, or worst case the splines in a drive shaft have been completely stripped.

The clutch is new - 5000 miles old.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
All contributions and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would say your new clutch is toast. IF the clutch was good and you can shift it, then you'd hear all sorts of hell in the gear box. The only other thing I can think of would be a drive shaft or u-joint but that would be obvious as well.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Sounds to me like your kid was trying to do a burnout and screwed it up. I`m only saying this cause I have 3 kids and have had 2 of them have messed up and even total a car and then give me some far out story about how it happened. Hope you get it figured out :)

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Any chance in the evasive maneuvering you accidentally knocked the transfer case shifter to Neutral?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that was the first thing I checked. Initially I was hoping I could limp it home without forking out $75 for a tow (to no avail).
What I did determine was that the transfer case does seem to be working OK.

I could shift across all the ratios and when in the central diff lock / lower ratio the truck could not be pushed.

Managed to get it into neutral to roll it onto the flat-bed.

so thanks for suggesting, I've tried all the obvious things with no luck.
There is no drive at all in any gear or ratio:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no I'm convinced he wasn't doing anything stupid. He was in town traffic during rush hour.
And he witnessed a clutch burn-out earlier this year - when I accidentally fried the clutch while teaching him how to evade an accident if he found himself in too high a gear!
That fried clutch smell will be with him til the end!

thanks for the quick response.

My son did find a thread somewhere about shift levers slipping out of position.
I couldn't find that post but was hoping this could be a possibility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say your new clutch is toast. IF the clutch was good and you can shift it, then you'd hear all sorts of hell in the gear box. The only other thing I can think of would be a drive shaft or u-joint but that would be obvious as well.
I toasted the clutch earlier this year and had to drop $1200 for a new one, but hey - I got a new throw-out bearing so the squeaky mouse was displaced!
After the clutch was burned out I could still drive it - just that it slipped badly.

So I don't think it's limited to the clutch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When the clutch was replaced was the release bearing and pressure plate replaced as well?

If the engine is running and you can shift gears in the transmission freely with the clutch pedal out then your clutch pretty much has to be the culprit.
I'd be getting her towed back to the shop that did the clutch. sounds like you may have some warranty work for them.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Do you have fluid in the clutch reservoir?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep, they replaced everything. I kept the pressure plate to show my kid what it looked like.
the toyota dealer who replaced it is 100 miles away. but thanks for the advice. if it does turn out to be the clutch, I will be giving them a call.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cant tell as its in a shop waiting to get taken apart, but its enjoyed 6 years of dealer servicing every 3000 miles.
I'm ashamed to admit it's never seen mud and lives in a garage.
so assuming the clutch level is good.

However - even if the clutch level was low, I'd presume it would still go into gear and drive, even if I had to crunch the gears the old fashioned way.
there is absolutely no power to the wheels under any circumstances.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, There is no conceivable way that the clutch release hydraulics have anything to do with what you're experiencing.

In my mind a clutch failure seems most likely due to it being replaced so recently.
could be a broken chain in the tcase or something too i suppose. seems veerrrryyyy unlikely.

I've got $10 on clutch failure. ;)

Keep us posted on what they find!

·
Registered
100 Posts
ooh, Just had another thought.

has the pressure required/feed back from the clutch pedal changed at all?
does it make any noises when pressing or releasing the clutch pedal?

wondering if the pressure plate blew up or something.
---
all this because I just noticed you said the clutch was in but it all started with rapping out the motor and hearing a pop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for your posts. The clutch feels exactly the same as before. same resistance on the foot and same movement.
My own feeling its after the clutch but before the transfer case - so something to do with the manual transmission is my guess.

I just don't know enough about the mechanics of it. Looks very complex in there.

Was hoping another forum member would respond saying "yeah that happened to me and .....", but not so far.

I certainly appreciate everyone's contributions and will respond once the repair shop starts poking around in there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's possible that you broke the shifter forks and they are not pushing the dogs into the gears. It's possible that the flywheel bolts sheared. Transfer box could be permanently in neutral from a broken chain.....hard metal brakes normally come with noise but sometimes not. I've rebuilt Jetrag and Muncies so it's possible.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's possible that you broke the shifter forks and they are not pushing the dogs into the gears. It's possible that the flywheel bolts sheared. Transfer box could be permanently in neutral from a broken chain.....hard metal brakes normally come with noise but sometimes not. I've rebuilt Jetrag and Muncies so it's possible.
I just got back on the site to mention the shifter fork... :mecry:
I snapped one on a M22 rock crusher years back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just don't see how anything behind the clutch could have been damaged if the clutch pedal was in and the engine was wrapped out.

unless he heard the pop after dumping the clutch with the engine at red line?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He says he didn't dump the clutch at all. Infact he kept the pedal in the whole time.
It was a combination of:

1) Clutch in
2) Full Revs (from foot slipping onto gas pedal)
3) Brake pedal depressed (firmly)

I can't think why that would cause a mechanical failure but it did!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts