Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, considering a search turned up no other threads for Brown Mountain, I thought I'd share some videos of this past weekend! Our first true off road trip in Jack and DOOOOOOD we enjoyed it! The wife had as much fun as we did, and the kids were along for the ride too. We went with a couple other forum members and friends; total of three FJs, one 4Runner, and one Jeep.

I'll start off by saying we had planned to head to Richland Road, between Lenoir and Blowing Rock North Carolina. However, the storms moving through changed all that. The first stream crossing, typically passable by your typical FWD car, was into severe flood stage. Here's a video of it. Also, in the 10 minutes we took to decide to head to Brown Mountain, one of the small bridges on the way out became completely covered. Glad we got out when we did!

BTW, the road on the other side (above) was under water as well before we left!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So we headed to Brown Mountain NC. It's an official OHV park, with a $5 day pass required. By the time we got there, it was beautiful blue skies, about 75 degrees, just a beautiful day. Excuse the chatter, family along :)

Brown Mountain isn't too tough. I am all stock except for Trail Gear rock sliders with decent tires (Terra Grapplers) and had no problems. Along the top, I did hit frame on solid rock twice, with no ill effect. My lifted buddies did not and also had no problem. I'll also say I was pleased; my friends had said it was easy enough for first timers, and I was afraid it would be boring, but apparently the winter weather roughed up the trails some. Yes, most of it was very easy...at least for an FJ.

I've posted some of my favorite videos, but not all. I've yet to post pics. Here are some videos:

Carrying a wheel a little ways:

Large (wide) puddle half way up. Good for getting wet!

OK, there was too much family chatter in this one (snack time) so I picked a youtube soundtrack. Yes, I have eclectic tastes. OH, and about 1:30 I thought I'd try a different line but slipped on bare rock so I just backed up and went the other way. Wouldn't mind trying that line next time!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's one where I jarred the frame. :( You can hear it at 0:49. Ouch!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOW MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! Gotta love the wife freaking out, LOL! She asks beforehand if the other yellow FJ is 'jacked up' as well; yes, the others all have lifts and we don't. It's also just awesome to watch that churning deep water!
In the middle she says "OMG, OMG IT WENT OVER THE HOOD!"

It was so great, I had to back up and get it on camera from outside!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. I have been to Brown Mountain several times on my ATV. There are a ton of trails for ATVs and Bikes, not so many for full sized rigs. There are some tougher trails there for ATVs. Were you able to see the bald mountain from where you where? Big chunk of rock.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now this was scary. Not the part you see, but what we didn't get on camera. Our buddy Carl in his old 4Runner went first, and I swear I thought it was going to flip. It titled over WAY further than Jami's FJ in front of us that you see. I couldn't believe it.

My turn. Not so bad after all (or maybe a better line).

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you had a good time. I have been to Brown Mountain several times on my ATV. There are a ton of trails for ATVs and Bikes, not so many for full sized rigs. There are some tougher trails there for ATVs. Were you able to see the bald mountain from where you where? Big chunk of rock.
I think so; we came out on top on a whole surface of rock, which was pretty cool. As you noted there are only two trails for rigs. We only had time for the one trail as we had a late start, but it was enjoyable. Considering there ain't much in NC.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the video's guys. I enjoyed watching your adventures.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice videos, thanks for sharing. Looks like something I might not want to tackle on my stock rig without getting some sliders first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts