Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,

Okay, I realize that this is my first post, so you'll have to cut me some slack for not having a cool avatar yet.

I have some great news for those of you who have decided to re-rout the exhaust cross over from underneath the transfer case to a position higher up adjacent to the transfer case.

My concern was that if I did this mod, in order to get the exhaust out of the way, it wouldn't make much sense to then turn around and put on a skid plate set that hangs down low to protect the stock exhaust.

I just got off the phone with Bud and he is going to custom build my skids so that the tranfer case skid is now all the way up to the case and then he is also going to reshape the front of the gas tank skid so that it now meets flush with the rear of the new transfer case skid.

He said that he would re-work the computer plans and then keep them on file for those of you who have moved your low-hanging exhaust and now want a skid to cover the area.

And the BEST part is that he is going to do all of this for no extra charge!!!

So if you have moved your exhaust and now want a new skid , or if you are planning on moving your exhaust and then putting a new skid on, give Bud a call and let him know what you want and he'll be able to now make it for you.

Pretty cool, huh???!!!

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
make more posts so you can show us pics of the re-route :) did you consider rerouting it behind the tcase instead of tucking it up? user mactiki also tucked it up and it got kinda hot down there :worried: :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea... that's what I am going to do this week... have the exhaust moved to the area to the back of the transfer case.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That's good news ! It's also nice to see that you finally made a post . Now that you have started you won't be able to STOP. Bud is a heck of a nice guy and makes a great prduct. Post some photos when you get it installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope to have the exhaust taken care of later this week, but the Bud Built skids won't be here for another 2 weeks since he is "custom" making them for me.

I'll try to get some pics posted of the new skids installed once I get them on in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Something here seems to conflict...

2007 Voodoo Blue 4x4 AT; CQ, UP2, Roof Rack, Running Boards, Tow Package

On it's way: Magnaflow Muffler, 2" Leveling Kit for Front, Bud Built Custom Skids for Raised Exhaust Cross-over

Please tell me that you're losing the running boards - otherwise mother nature will mod them for you :D

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I just got off the phone with Bud and he is going to custom build my skids so that the tranfer case skid is now all the way up to the case and then he is also going to reshape the front of the gas tank skid so that it now meets flush with the rear of the new transfer case skid.
Welcome and yes, Bud is the best! He made the front of my gas tank skid flat as well so I could connect it up to the custom cross member skid plates and Jason is building to replace the factory cross members. The gas tank skid will be tied into the rear of the tcase cross member skid. I will also be moving my exhaust cross over... not sure where yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BMTHiker,

Yea, you're right... the running boards are PoS.

I am waiting until they get ripped off by some nice Arizona boulders so that way I can post some knarly pics for all of you;)

Then I'll turn around and put some sweet rockrails on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BMTHiker,

I am waiting until they get ripped off by some nice Arizona boulders so that way I can post some knarly pics for all of you;)

Sell them! I ebayed mine for 400 bucks, and bought a set of trail gear sliders for 300 shipped! I don't know if they're still going for such astronomical prices, but I certainly wouldn't just smash em'.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
BMTHiker,

Definitely sell or remove the running bords before hitting the trails. I made short work of mine and they ended up in the landfill :( . Not the brightest move.....

·
Registered
872 Posts
Definitely sell or remove the running bords before hitting the trails. I made short work of mine and they ended up in the landfill :( . Not the brightest move.....
TucsonFJ... not only what Soup said, but keep in mind that if you bang up those running boards enough, the bottom of your door is going to feel it. The rock rails prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice.

If I can get the outrageous price of even $300 on Ebay it looks like I'll have a new set of rock rails sooner than I had anticipated!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hey and don't forget to keep an eye on the trail runs section as we AZ folks like to get out and play...
as a matter of fact we are coming to Tucson Sunday Sept 16th...go check the thread.
Oh and welcome to the craziness :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts