Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had to order anything from Budbuilt in years. Last time was like 2004 for my Taco. Talked to him a few times then (great guy) because I had a body and susp lift on the taco and his front skid did not accommodate this until I talked to him about it and he fab'd an extra attachment for it, and then made adjustments, some of the best customer service ever for me. Thats just some background on my dealings with Budbuilt.

After that I knew I would always buy from him again. I cannot remember if he was powdercoating back then or not, I painted my skids I bought off him, I will include pics(just because pics are fun) of when the taco was fresh off of the lift install.

Anyway, finally I will get to my question, how is his powdercoat? Rate it if you will or however, just trying to decide if I should paint it or have him powder coat it. I have seen some piss-poor powder coating lately(Trail Gears PC on my sliders...no offense, I know they are intended to be beat to heck)

Just would like yall's 2 cents on Buds powdercoat. THanks

Heres some pics of the Taco with the Budbuilt skids before I ruined this truck:rofl: (I was single had a lot more disposable income then, I could actually break stuff left and right and not have to ask anyone if I could spend money to fix it....ahhh the good ol days)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Why not ask Bud himself...he's a honest guy that will tell you a straight answer. If you actually go offroad and play in rocks my guess is he will tell you to paint them. Any powdercoat is going to scratch off in rocks regardless of how good the coating is and you don't have much in the way of options for touch up.

Rattle can is much easier for those who actually expect to get good use out of the skids.

If you are just doing fire roads and light trails, I'm guessing he will tell you to go the powdercoat route.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'd go back to bud no problem.

really happy with the skids and the powder coating

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not ask Bud himself...he's a honest guy that will tell you a straight answer. If you actually go offroad and play in rocks my guess is he will tell you to paint them. Any powdercoat is going to scratch off in rocks regardless of how good the coating is and you don't have much in the way of options for touch up.

Rattle can is much easier for those who actually expect to get good use out of the skids.

If you are just doing fire roads and light trails, I'm guessing he will tell you to go the powdercoat route.
I am going to ask Bud soon, I was just requesting some mostly un-biased reviews from you guys. Thanks man.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries. Just making the suggestion. For something that was going to get scrapped up Bud basically said to go the painting route, since it will need to be touched up down the road. So I went with rustoleum paint to match the rear bumper that NCFJ did.
Thats prob what I'll do. Appreciate it:bigthumb:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ordered a pair of BudBuilt sliders about a month ago and I thought the powder coating was nice. I'd recommend it based upon the sliders I received.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I also like the powder coated skids and I do scrape them up on a weekly basis. I just touch the bottoms up with some spray paint whenever I have them off for maintenance or I am pressing them flat again(with a 50 ton press). I can say that the top and sides look almost as good as the day I bought them. No rust. I think its worth it just for that reason. I hate rust.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
My Bud skids have been on my FJ longer then my rear Demello bumper. They see harsher road rasch from salt, then the bumper. But where they were not scratched by rocks from the wheeling, the coating looks a lot better then the bumper. No bubbling through or peeling, like my DO rear bumper or my TG sliders.
Bud has a great powder coater, probably as good if not better the ARBs source.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Bud skids have been on my FJ longer then my rear Demello bumper. They see harsher road rasch from salt, then the bumper. But where they were not scratched by rocks from the wheeling, the coating looks a lot better then the bumper. No bubbling through or peeling, like my DO rear bumper or my TG sliders.
Bud has a great powder coater, probably as good if not better the ARBs source.
Thanks, thats what Id expect from him, its just I have seen some very poor powder coats lately and thought Id ask people like you who have had your hands on his stuff and tried and tested it. Appreciate your reply!:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts