Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The decision would depend highly on where one lives I guess. For most of us, if 'something' happened we would be faced with about 75% of the general population that has made zero preparations. I'm not a real 'prepper' but I think I could get by for a month or two but that is increasing as I pick up little odds and ends. For me bugging in would be the first choice. I can envision all of the interstates and back roads totally clogged with people stuck in their cars trying to get supplies that others have stored in their bug out cars with ensuing shootouts along the road in a worst case scenario. There will more than likely be no law enforcement as they will be bugging in/out with their families. Those that have a place in the woods, etc. set up for escape would never be able to get to it and if they did would probably find someone else already using it. Oh well, not to worry....Obama has surely thought all of this through to be our savior. :thinkerg: :mecry:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
So....is this an emergency preparedness thread, or a political trash-talk thread?
....just so we know.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Depends on the situation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had never considered the bugging in idea. I'm not a prepper by any means but I do enjoy Doomsday Preppers. The fundamental problem with all of it is that you can prepare for one, but not for all. I have my standard stuff a survival bag, a couple of boxes of MRE's a case of water and what not. It all depends on the area you live in I suppose. My 'metro' area has about 50,000 people in it (non-conservative estimate) with only about half of them being in the actually 'metro" area.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
My 'metro' area has about 50,000 people in it (non-conservative estimate)
with only about half of them being in the actually 'metro" area.
(serious question....not sarcasm) so, is your 'metro' area 25,000 or 50,000? It's not clear since you said that it is both.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Remember the last time the world ended? neither did I...
Or the last time American society fell apart because of the President? I think Clinton was suppose to enact Marshal Law, but you know I guess he decided he would just leave office unceremoniously instead...

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Or the last time American society fell apart because of the President? I think Clinton was suppose to enact Marshal Law, but you know I guess he decided he would just leave office unceremoniously instead...

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App
You know, it's not all about the end of the world or the collapse of society. Many people live in areas that have natural disasters that prepare for them whether it's stocking up to stay put and ride out the storm or bugging out to someplace safer until it's over.

It's also nice to have some supplies on hand just in case. I'm lucky I don't have to worry about some things like hurricanes, but I do get some nasty weather here in the winter that can close all of the Hwys and the Interstate down for a few hours or a week, 2 weeks, or more. The stores don't have huge amounts of stock on hand anymore so it doesn't take long for the store shelves to become empty, especially if it's just before delivery day when the roads are closed. Most of the time when the roads close, we also end up with a few hundred extra people from truckers to families that end up needed supplies too.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,988 Posts
Whether it's the Zombie Apocalypse or the 2012 Apocalypse, it's a fun way to Be Prepared for any Emergency. Just ask the C.D.C. and read their Zombie Survival Guide.

Try living on an Island where almost EVERYTHING but the mail and newspapers are delivered by barge. If the Harbors get hit, the barge does not come until they are repaired. Try going 3 weeks w/out! We've had to Bug Out twice, Tsunami Threats. We lived ground floor, ocean front. Since the Japanese Quake/Tsunami, we've moved to higher ground, elevation 285. This entire island, HELL the entire 5-0 State sometimes, shuts down when a threat is posed. Stores sell out & gas lines are blocks long within minutes. Add Volcano's, Fires, Earthquakes, sometimes earthquakes & fires from the volcano, Hurricanes.... Being Prepared is just smart! Do I worry about Zombie's, NO! UNPREPARED Predators, YES!

When the SHTF, the Civil Defense actual says on the radio stations, You are on your own for at least 3 days to as much as 3 weeks, conservatively.

AT&T goes dead w/in minutes due to a shared satellite w/ Nextel and Sprint. Only Verizon works, so I ate it and switched after last years disaster.

Ask any Hawaiian on here, if there's an accident on the road, they close it until they are clear and done with their investigation. Sometimes up to 8 hours. One 2 lane road/HWY, it closes and you sit & wait. Car kits are a must!

So Bug In/Bug Out? It's all relative to the situation that you've been dealt.

@ 1/2mill90 :cheers: @ ocr14a, I went with Preparedness thread and plz read the OP's username again :rofl:

This was my view...

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Nice view!

·
Registered
86 Posts
To be perfectly honest, this is the topic which lead me to the FJ about a year and a half ago when I started shopping/considering the purchase...

First, because of the possibility that ~$30k wouldn't buy a new reliable capable vehicle 4-5 years down the road, and the fact that pay/salaries are frozen everywhere you look... which makes inflation all the more real.

Second, because I live in an over-crowded area surrounded by desert & trails... and roads and highways prove insufficient every single day of the year... let alone when disaster strikes...

First and foremost, the FJ is my ticket out of here if something bad happens.... ie, "The Big One" in terms of EQ.... As many describe, the initial panic would likely prove the worst in terms of people getting stranded or "caught with their pants down"

I have friends on either side of the fence.... Some that you might consider strange because of how they spend their income on supplies, water, food, fuel, generators, ammo, etc.... and the ones who think that type of behavior is strange while they instead spend their income on (2) life insurance policies, travel insurance, AAA, Medical, Dental, Vision, over-insure everything, Gap, Extended warranties on every gizmo or appliance they buy.....

It's funny, because both behaviors exhibit fear/concern in different ways.. The first example, is concern for basic survival... where the second example is concern for monetary loss... Each individually might appear narrow minded to the other...

If a "Big One" hits here... where crime is already bad enough as it is.... then it will be open season on any and everyone... For that reason, I have enough stored to Bug-in for a month or more without having to venture out for anything.... Hopefully that will be enough time for the smoke to clear and order to be restored....

If things don't improve.... ie, power down for months, no water, no trucks rolling, no help, (ie Katrina) the bottom line is, and always will be... that over-populated areas are not defensible, at least not for very long...

That is why I do not store more than I have which would easily take up every inch inside the FJ's cargo area with the seats folded down.... Keeping any more than that in my case would likely end up being in vain...

I already know the situation is not ideal for what may loom ahead in terms of disaster.... But work often dictates where you are.... It's up to the individual to recognize, and underwrite their own risk and decide what steps they will undertake to lessen their loss in whatever terms they measure it.... money or life itself...

I also read into this as a preparedness thread.... To argue politics is just stupid anyways.... All that accomplishes is to distract a group from the real threat (Zombies) while they bicker over nothing.... all the while the farm gets surrounded, the lookout platform doesn't get finished, and they are standing in a field at each others throats, and Carl is just wandering around completely unsupervised AGAIN!!! *sigh*

AMC series "The Walking Dead"... the ultimate survival film...
:cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remember... wasn't pretty.

...and I thought all politicians were zombies.

If you want to have a vehicle for emergency preparedness, you would buy a '78 Ram Powerwagon or the like (something with no computers). Just like I did... :)

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
Im on a the Regional Response Team for my county last time we got sent out of town was to NYC when they were worried the hurricane would hit. This entails lots of Fema classes and meetings. The last meeting the fema guy stated they have changed their minds in the case of a diaster natural or man made people staying put will greatly increase their chances of survival. who knows

1 - 15 of 15 Posts