Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first in a series of articles on foods that can be prepared while bugging out or just plain off the grid. If you’re on the go, with minimal gear, you’ll be glad you know that you can still prepare delicious foods that will both warm your body and improve moral.

In a bug-out situation or in many cases when off the grid, you won’t have all the amenities you’d normally have. But even without an oven or microwave there are plenty of things you can eat, and bread is no exception.

This recipe is one of my favorites when I’m out in the bush. It’s simple to make, delicious and doesn’t require an oven — just a pan, a flat rock, or even a stick, and a heat source. This versatile, oven-less bread is what the Scottish call Bannock. Here’s a video on how it’s done (using the pan method):

How to Make Bannock Video
Here’s a video I made on how to make bannock

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

How to Make Bannock Instructions
Step 1: Mix dry ingredients listed in one of the recipes below. This can be stored in a plastic or mylar bag until you need it.
Step 2: Add water until you reach the consistency somewhere between pancake batter and pizza dough. At this point you can also optionally add any other ingredients you see fit (ie raisins, nuts, sausage etc).
Step 3: Flatten dough onto a pan until it’s about a half an inch thick.
Step 4: Cook on a greased pan (or non-stick cast iron pan) until medium brown underneath, flip over, cook, and repeat. Each side takes about 8-10 minutes depending on the heat of the heat source.

Recipe
Just as there are multiple ways of making bannock, there are equally multiple recipes and variations. Here are my two favorites:

Recipe 1 (breakfast bread) for Single Serving
1 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup powdered egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix all together and store in a plastic or mylar bag. Pack away in your bug-out bag or just take it with you when you’re camping!

Recipe 2 (dinner bread) for Single Serving
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons powdered milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
Same as other recipe; mix all together and store in a plastic or mylar bag. Add water and cook over a fire!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Nice write up and video. I copied the ingrediance list to my computer so I can give this a try next trip out.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Great video write up. Gunna have to try that out next time I camp.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Don't quote the spammers! It defeats the purpose of the mods deleting their posts!
Management
Have you seen the KeltyFalcon 4000? It looks like an awsome backpack, I was thinking of getting it and testing it camping this summer, and thank you for posting this thread, it reminded me I need to order my george forman grill from amazon:lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey sseba2012, it's about bread, not backpacks.

kemosuave, nice video of a great dry storage meal. Thanks for the tip. Gonna add it to my long-term food storage plan and give it a shot next time I'm out camping.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Excellent write up! I'm looking foward to giving it a try!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great video and thanks for sharing. I tried the dinner bread and it was not bad. It almost tasted like pancake mix which got me thinking that I could just buy bulk Bisquick at Costco and bag those up for individual servings as well.

I do want to try the breakfast recipe, but where in the world do you buy powdered eggs locally? I have tried Academy and Gander and the prices on eBay seem pretty high for a can/bag of powdered eggs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's a great setup. A bit bulky for a BOB I would think though. I think a rocket type stove, with the ability to burn the sticks and twigs you come across would be another good choice for a BOB. Personally, I just carry a little Esbit stove and a few fuel tabs. I have more fuel cached if I need it, but my bug out plans don't call for spending more than a few days in the field anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Definitely a cool recipe and idea. Seems easy enough to make a few servings, throw them in your kit and know its there if you need it. I might just make this next time out to try it. I might try it with cubed ham or small slices of sausage and throw it in there. Good job!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have decided to stock up on Kroger brand pancake/waffle mix since this recipe tastes like pancake mix to me. Unlike Bisquick, the Kroger brand only needs water added and is much cheaper. You have to add eggs and/or milk to Bisquick unless you buy the expensive one in the plastic container that is just for one-time use and is bulky to pack.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fantastic. I would like to add one thing, though. While flour doesn't really have an expiration date, the longer you store it the more likely it is for (what I've always heard referred to as "flour weevils") to grow/rehydrate in the flour. The trick to preventing this, or at least slowing it, is to store anything you make that includes flour (or any sort of milled wheat or grain) as airtight and dry as possible. If you can, vac-pack it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts