Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story....but here's where we're at after about a month of work:

Obviously, it's nowhere near done in terms of the chassis.....

Drivetrain is likely going to be a 5.3L or 4.8L Chevy, built TH350 or TH400, 32 spline Atlas II, 42" Iroks, 14B rear, D60 front, 2.5" 18" travel Kings in back, 2" 16" travel Foxes up front....double triangulated (XX) 4 links f/r. 110-112" wheelbase, 2" or 2.25" 4130 Rc40 links....DOM chassis....should be fairly light.....maybe 3300 lbs?? (depends on how stupid we get with tubing).

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds pretty sick so far!!!

I am thinking of going with the 5.3L in the Land Cruiser.
We're not sure on the 5.3L....rumors of lots of TSBs and that Chevrolet will be dropping it in the next few model years and replacing with the 4.8L which seems to be more reliable and have more low end anyway (better for an offroad rig). 5.3L puts out more power (obviously).....but we're trying to eliminate reliability problems as much as possible.

The 4.8L is part of the LSX engine series so size is the same 27.5"L x ~24-25" wide and ~27" tall.....nice compact package.

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Really nice! It seems well proportioned and very sensibly triangulated.

Is there already a triangle going in over the engine compartment? I see what looks like one tube in there, and maybe that one leaning up against the side of the project is it's brother?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Looking good. Where is my buggy building friend?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Really nice! It seems well proportioned and very sensibly triangulated.

Is there already a triangle going in over the engine compartment? I see what looks like one tube in there, and maybe that one leaning up against the side of the project is it's brother?
See, I think it's a little too long in the nose. I wanted to shorten it up, but JR wanted to leave it. I also think the 63 degree front A pillars are too steep to really flow with the rest of the chassis and the rear is a little too short as well...in short, I think it needs more equal proportions in the nose, passenger area and tail, but overall, not bad.

Ya, there's only one bar on the driver side for now....

Here's another pic:

Theres' going to be a lot more triangulation going in over the engine....just haven't gotten there yet....been too busy hand notching 82 degree notches in like 6 places so far on this chassis. PITA.

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Wow. You weren't kidding when you said that there's going to be a lot more triangulation going in over the engine!

I seriously hope this rig is going to go hoodless so that you can see all of that work. It looks awesome!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Is this thing going to have a rear mounted engine? How do you plan on getting the engine in and out? I didn't see any type of removable sections over the hood.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. You weren't kidding when you said that there's going to be a lot more triangulation going in over the engine!

I seriously hope this rig is going to go hoodless so that you can see all of that work. It looks awesome!
I still want to skin it.....the owner and his dad want it skinless so people can see all the work. It took like 3 weeks to do all that.

I know it's overkill....but it only weighs about 30 lbs.

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this thing going to have a rear mounted engine? How do you plan on getting the engine in and out? I didn't see any type of removable sections over the hood.
Nope...front engine.

Look closer....I came up with a flange design complete with shear plates that I've never seen done before. Super strong, but a lot of work.

The entire engine cage lifts out except for the two small triangles where the coilovers will extend into. I've been calling them 'pockets' for the coilover mounts.

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jon,
Forgot.....I went through 4 different engine cage designs before settling on this one.

Here's the one that mimic'd the Lexus hood I told you about....it didn't look good once I started filling it in though.

Here's what it looked like in the beginning:

Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts