Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been into off-roading for a few decades now and have had several iterations of off-road machines from YJs, XJs, TJs, full-size Rams and even an old 4-runner. Then I got into sports cars and got a convertible C6 Vette that I kept for a year, but it just didn't have the same personality as any of my off-roaders. However I thought long and hard and didn't want to just build another solid axle, locked front and rear, rock bouncer but wanted something that could take me out on adventures in comfort and maybe even a bit of style and allow me to stay there for a while and enjoy the scenery instead of spending time between runs fixing trail damage.

After I sold the Vette, my wife and I found the FJ and both fell in love with it. We had never ridden in one before but instantly loved the roomy interior (well anything is roomy compared to a Corvette, LOL) but the quiet ride, adequate power and cool traction gizmo's sold us on it. We paid the guy and drove it home.

Of course leaving any vehicle stock is anathema, so I have slowly started to make a few changes. I will be building this specifically for overlanding.

I have dropped a few pictures around the forums but decided that I needed to chronicle my progress here so I could have a place to keep track of it myself as well as have others see it if they wanted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scuba mod, man this was easy!

Pushed the vent through the little rubber grommet toward the back...
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

And fed it into the little compartment that holds the jack.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting a bit more serious, the flimsy skid plates had to go. I won't be rock crawling so didn't want anything too heavy, so decided on the ARB. Good protection at a decent weight.

Hood Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

All Pro rock sliders just in case.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
431 Posts
Nice...
Can u upload full Pic to see both wheels without the fenders?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Do you have a locking rear diff?

If so, you'll want to elevate the breathers for both the axle housing and the e-locker housing.

I ran separate breather lines up into the jack housing exactly where you did. I was initially concerned about the potential for getting sulfurous gear oil smell in the cabin, but after 7 years not a trace.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a locking rear diff?

If so, you'll want to elevate the breathers for both the axle housing and the e-locker housing.

I ran separate breather lines up into the jack housing exactly where you did. I was initially concerned about the potential for getting sulfurous gear oil smell in the cabin, but after 7 years not a trace.

Yes, I combined both breather tubes into the larger one and that is the one that I ported up into the jack housing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The great big truck of happiness brought me something else for Aristeros! Will be putting this on as soon as the mounting hardware arrives.

Rectangle Font Gas Electric blue Parallel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mounting bracket came in for the ARB Base Rack yesterday evening and it is mounted and ready to go! This rack is definitely 1st rate.

Cloud Sky Motor vehicle Automotive carrying rack Plant

Update: After driving it at normal speeds, there was quite the vibration at certain speeds. Unmounted it and placed some double-sided tape (only peeled off one side of it though) between the base mount and the rack. Easy cure and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big brown truck of happiness brought the OVS 270 passenger-side awning. Got it mounted up using t-slot adapters for the base rack and some carriage bolts that fit like they were made for it. Got a bit carried away on the length (1 and 1/2") so will replace them one of these days with some 3/4". Solid as a rock!

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Grey Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a good chance to use my awning this past weekend as my son was performing in a band competition and there sometimes were a few hours between performances. Not enough time to go home or do anything but plenty of time to kick back under the shade with a cold one (soda) and wait for the next competition and make all of the passers-by jealous. I did get quite a few folks stop by and comment on the setup. Lot's of jealous guys out there. LOL.

Sky Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got a bit of time to start building the rear drawer system. Waiting for my drawer sliders to be delivered but got everything measured and cut and mocked it up a bit to check fitment.
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Trunk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts