Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was looking at places that are prone to damage and places that I have damaged off road and I always am hitting the rear trailing arm bracket. In a recent trip off road, i bent one small part of it to where it touches my actual trailing arm which made a faint squeek. Problem solved with a little grinding. Looking at Allpro's skids that are $89 bucks, I could make these for literally about $5 and an hour and a half or two of work.

http://www.allprooffroad.com/images/stories/fjcruiser/linkskids_04.jpg

My question is: Has anyone made these yet and/or does anyone have the dimensions of their own or allpro's versions?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I'm not really crazy about the design of most of the lower link skids I've seen, primarily because they still represent a bit of a target. Graham (gsgmac) and myself have these skids installed on our FJ's:

As you can see, they're designed to slide over objects, not offer anything in the way of a contact point (in addition to adding substantial protection to the lower links). If you're designing skids you might want to consider making them as contact proof as possible.

Jim

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jim, that looks really good... Makes me go back to the drawing board. I'll see what I can do this weekend

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
all i need is dimensions to make one
Grab a pad of paper, pencil & tape measure then head out to your FJ and measure away. Doing it this way will make sure you get all the dimensions you want/need.

Make sure to post your final results. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a whole lot more than you think. I didnt realize that there is a bend in the bracket from the plate that the bolt goes through to where it meets the frame. This really gets to be a pain in the ass when you are thinking about welding right beside the gas tank...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts