Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the site for "Stinger" and got lots of audio related results - not too many bumper related :(
Here's my question:
Looking at the stingers that a lot of the Jeeps run - to prevent damage in case of/or prevent end-over end rollovers, I wondered if anyone had considered a swivel snatch block mount incorporated at the inside of the stinger point? This would allow winch cable to be run at an angle to the vehicle without placing a side load on the winch or bunch the cable all up on one side as you're recovering.
I'm thinking of features to incorporate as I design the bull bar for my DO bumper....

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I see what you're getting at, and it's not a bad idea in that regard...

But I think the huge moment (torque) you'd be adding would be reeeeealy bad... the force of a winch pull a couple feet or whatever out from the truck would be 10's of thousands of ft*lbs of torque on your bumper.

It's hard to predict what would happen, since basically no one has done anything with an FJ to make the bumper see quite that kind of loading. My guess is that it wouldn't be good....

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that.... appreciate the input!!
Hadn't planned to go as aggressive as some I have seen - but the point is taken. I'm not quite sure how much the force would be multiplied, would have to run my Cosmos analysis on the final design.

The bad part about any aftermarket bumper on the FJ is that once you are beyond the width of the frame the bumper is just out there - I don't think the bumper itself would sustain that force.

It's not an option that would be used as long as there is some other method of placing a snatch block elsewhere, just another "trick in the bag" just in case.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Well, the winch being in front of the frame isn't a terrible thing... its the vertical displacement you're talking about that would make things tricky.

Nevermind Cosmos and stuff, this is super easy statics we're talking. The moment on the frame is the force of the winch pull multiplied by the distance between the winch line and the frame, measured perpendicular to the winch line (the line that leaves the truck is the only one that matters, be that the winch itself or at the pulley).

With a winch mounted only a couple inches from everything inside a bumper, the magnitude of these moments are reduced. Moving that point way far away from everything multiplies the torque considerably.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't really talking of moving the winch..

Just a temporary swiveling snatchblock location. The force on the snatchblock is translated into the stinger which is triangulated to the bumper/frame.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
The only thing you should attach to a stinger is a pull rope....for use by your buddies to stabilize or put down pressure on the front tires on a steep climb.

One other thing to consider.....I've seen stingers make things worse if your tires aren't sticking out almost as far as the top of the stinger itself. The nose will catch in the ground or rocks on a very steep descent (like Rockpile on Pritchett for example) and force the rig to go over rather than allowing you to power out on just the front wheels.

In short, the stinger has it's place, but it should be kept fairly short (just above the hood line) and steeply angled, otherwise all it really does is force the roll off to one side and can actually cause a roll in the scenario listed above. You may be better off with a hoop around the grill to protect the radiator since an FJC will be limited in getting the tires far enough forward to have the desired affect and a stinger will just screw up your approach angle more than anything.

Sean

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Wasn't really talking of moving the winch..
Yea, I know... sorry I made my picture unclear in that regard. It doesn't matter if it's the actual winch there or the block, same principle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts