Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have been wanting to get a new bumper for my silver '08 FJ since I bought it a month ago, and now is my chance, but what to choose!?
(NOTE: Living in Canada, so if you have any knowledge about buying parts up here, please do tell!)
I parked the FJ on the side of the road on my first day of work in town, only to come back to my bumper hanging off. My car had been clipped by a school bus that cut a corner too much, but they left a note and will be covering the estimated repair of almost $3,000 CAD.

In short, I am going to get an aftermarket bumper installed instead of replacing the broken one with a factory one, so I am in need of some tips, please :)

I am looking for a fairly lightweight and small(ish) front bumper, maybe a prerunner style, but I am not limiting myself to that specifically. I don't want to spend too much on it (some of the repair costs will go towards the bumper), and I like the idea of a lightweight one so I don't have to upgrade my suspension just yet. Also, a winch would be preferable, but it isn't a necessity.

Here are a few I was looking at:
N-FAB M-RDS PRERUNNER FRONT BUMPER
https://n-fab.com/m-rds-prerunner-front-bumper/2008/toyota/fj-cruiser
(I like the looks of that one, but as I said, a prerunner with winch capabilities would also be great)

ARB 3420210 Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2014 Deluxe Front Bumper Winch Ready with Grille Guard, Black Powder Coat Finish
https://www.bumperonly.com/collections/toyota-fj-cruiser-1/products/arb-3420210-toyota-fj-cruiser
(also like the looks of that one, but it is a lot heavier, and would consequently demand a suspension upgrade)

https://www.shrockworks.com/FJ-Cruiser-Front-Bumper-2007-2014-pr-16249.html
https://www.4wheelparts.ca/Bumpers-Tire-Carriers-Winch-Mounts/Smittybilt-M1-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-Winch-Mount-Front-Bumper-with-D-ring-Mounts-and-Light-Kit-Black-612850.aspx?t_c=64&t_s=26&t_pt=6410&t_pn=S/B612850
(these are similar to the ARB)

Thanks for any help you can give!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
One problem with the aftermarket bumpers may simply be wait time to have them constructed. You probably want to find a supplier that has one in stock so you arent waiting 6-12 wks to get it.

I personally dont like the tube style or prerunner styles. You can also look at aluminum front bumpers for weight savings. For example Demello Offroad makes alum front bumpers:

https://www.demello-offroad.com/fjc-front-bumpers

The ARB bumper you identified is probably the biggest, heaviest and most massive bumper out there. Will provide great protection, probably available already in stock in some places, but will require changing out the front springs.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,107 Posts
Lots of choices. If you want lightweight then do not go to ARB as said they are heavy, as are the Road Armor. You might find an aluminium one is the best option for winter salt in Canada and for weight. That was what I went with, mine was custom made by Brute Force Fab in CA but Demello have a couple of options that might be a short lead time.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out the Metal Tech tube bumper . light weight . and winch capable .
I have had a look at some of the Metal-Tech front bumpers and they are definitely some of my favourites, but I am not sure about the cost. I understand that with such a large item, manufacturing and shipping costs are going to be high, but still seems a bit excessive.

At the moment, I am leaning towards this one below and the N-FAB in my original post.

Metal-Tech FJ Cruiser Front Tube Bumper W/Bash Plate
https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=3905

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I have had a look at some of the Metal-Tech front bumpers and they are definitely some of my favourites, but I am not sure about the cost. I understand that with such a large item, manufacturing and shipping costs are going to be high, but still seems a bit excessive.

At the moment, I am leaning towards this one below and the N-FAB in my original post.

Metal-Tech FJ Cruiser Front Tube Bumper W/Bash Plate
https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=3905

Thanks for the info!
Just a FWIW . Metal Tech is having a group buy right now on Bumpers and sliders . They are 15% off and $100 off shipping . The N-fabs are nice (N-fab use to sponsor me when i was racing ) But they do not have a winch mount and i believe that the Metal Tech Bumper is a stronger built bumper .

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I was leaning toward the MetalTech as well for a while. It has everything I wanted in a bumper--an excellent approach angle, it's easy on the suspension, and it can carry a winch. But aside from the price+shipping being on the high side, MetalTech was out of stock at the time, and I was eager to get moving on a replacement for the stcok bumper.

I ended up with the N-Fab RSP, similar to the one you're considering in a lot of ways.

IMG_0104.jpg

The plates on yours look to provide a little better coverage. But @Firemedic831 is right. The contruction isn't quite as beefy as that of the MetalTech, and there's no way to mount a winch on it as it is. A mount or a receiver could be welded on, but the way the bumper attaches to the factory bumper mount may not hold up under the strain of winch use.

These are all things to consider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One problem with the aftermarket bumpers may simply be wait time to have them constructed. You probably want to find a supplier that has one in stock so you arent waiting 6-12 wks to get it.

I personally dont like the tube style or prerunner styles. You can also look at aluminum front bumpers for weight savings. For example Demello Offroad makes alum front bumpers:

https://www.demello-offroad.com/fjc-front-bumpers

The ARB bumper you identified is probably the biggest, heaviest and most massive bumper out there. Will provide great protection, probably available already in stock in some places, but will require changing out the front springs.
While I like the idea of an aluminum front bumper, I don't have the funds for any decent ones as of now, unfortunately. I will probably be limited simply to what is available here in Canada, so I don't think Demello will be on the cards for me, as much as I love the looks of them.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a FWIW . Metal Tech is having a group buy right now on Bumpers and sliders . They are 15% off and $100 off shipping . The N-fabs are nice (N-fab use to sponsor me when i was racing ) But they do not have a winch mount and i believe that the Metal Tech Bumper is a stronger built bumper .
Isn't that group buy thing only for when you buy multiple of them? I would like to get sliders as well, but unfortunately I can only afford the bumper at the moment.

Either way, thank you very much for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Isn't that group buy thing only for when you buy multiple of them? I would like to get sliders as well, but unfortunately I can only afford the bumper at the moment.

Either way, thank you very much for your help!
No you can buy single items . Group buy means they are getting a ton of orders from a group of people .

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Here is the Metal Tech Tube bumper. I really liked it light weight. also another option is the Metal Tech Stronghold if you like or want to retain the stock look. if I would have had it my way I woulld have put another Metal Tech tube bumper on the 13 TT but my sister in law wanted the stronghold.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No you can buy single items . Group buy means they are getting a ton of orders from a group of people .
Oh, awesome! So would I be able to get just the bumper and have it 15% off? Or do I have to get both the bumper and the sliders? (if so, do they have to be Metal-Tech sliders, or could I get the significantly cheaper ARB sliders from the site?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the Metal Tech Tube bumper. I really liked it light weight. also another option is the Metal Tech Stronghold if you like or want to retain the stock look. if I would have had it my way I woulld have put another Metal Tech tube bumper on the 13 TT but my sister in law wanted the stronghold.
Hm, well I do love the look of that tube bumper you have in the first image, but I also really like how the Stronghold bumper was done on the 13 TT, looks excellent. That is more for me to consider, I suppose, so I am not sure what to do at this point haha.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Oh, awesome! So would I be able to get just the bumper and have it 15% off? Or do I have to get both the bumper and the sliders? (if so, do they have to be Metal-Tech sliders, or could I get the significantly cheaper ARB sliders from the site?)

Thanks!
You can buy just the bumper . Or Just sliders . Or both

1 - 20 of 39 Posts