Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a Smittybilt M1 bumper on my 2014 Iceberg FJC. All is good, but wanting to mount my 23" light bar to the bumper above my winch. I have everything I need to mount but need to drill a couple of holes in the bumper which is 3/16 cold rolled steel. Any suggestion on what tools to use to get the job done? I've gotten a couple of ideas on drill bit to use, but thought someone in the community may have already done this or has a better idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
How about start with the drill bit sized for your bolt and a drill. Start with a prick punch to mark your hole, then use a smaller pilot bit, and then finish. Cold rolled is not hard, look underneath and try not to drill into welds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about start with the drill bit sized for your bolt and a drill. Start with a prick punch to mark your hole, then use a smaller pilot bit, and then finish. Cold rolled is not hard, look underneath and try not to drill into welds.
. Sounds good, no special bit required? I was thinking of getting either a cobalt or black oxide bit for the job. I have a set of metal bits but wasn’t sure it would work.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
. Sounds good, no special bit required? I was thinking of getting either a cobalt or black oxide bit for the job. I have a set of metal bits but wasn’t sure it would work.

I use a set of dewalt titanium drill bit set or a Milwaukee step drill bit works well here too and is more controlled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts