Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused about mounting foglights on my bumper. Is there a bracket available to mount them on? I know there is if you buy the stock FJ lights but I want to get a set of IPF lights from costco. How do you mount them?

Also if I get a Toyota foglight switch from my dealer or somewhere can you use it instead of the IPF one? I just want a factory look in the interior.

Cheers!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am a bit confused about mounting foglights on my bumper. Is there a bracket available to mount them on? I know there is if you buy the stock FJ lights but I want to get a set of IPF lights from costco. How do you mount them?

Also if I get a Toyota foglight switch from my dealer or somewhere can you use it instead of the IPF one? I just want a factory look in the interior.

Cheers!
There's is holes under the plastic bumper, just poke them.

Then drill the plastic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the photos and info. I picked up a set of Hella 500FF's at Walmart for $60 and it took about 20 min to get them mounted. Wiring will be a different story though. How are these Hella's different from the ones that Toyota sell for hundreds of dollars? Also can you use the stock Toyota foglight switch with any foglight? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I installed PIAA 525's yesterday using the two outside, closer to the grill, holes. The 525's are thicker that a lot of lights, but they fit with a little adjusting. Just as noted here, drill a small hole from underneath and a multi-bit from the top. Normally I'm all about a factory look, but not for an extra $100. The 525's are dual beam, so that would have added to the expense as well. I mounted the PIAA dual beam switch just under the switch blanks on the left side. It turned out well, tilted up so it's easy to find. Ron

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Thanks for the photos and info. I picked up a set of Hella 500FF's at Walmart for $60 and it took about 20 min to get them mounted. Wiring will be a different story though. How are these Hella's different from the ones that Toyota sell for hundreds of dollars? Also can you use the stock Toyota foglight switch with any foglight? Thanks!

__________________It can be done with the factory harnesses.
Which is to say, OEM switch, OEM switch harness, Toyota relay, 15 amp fuse, and the OEM lamp harness, using my PIAA 520s.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Do you have part numbers for the stock wiring parts?
Parts List:
(1) Fog Light Switch PN: PT297-35070-SW
(1) Switch Harnes PN: PT297-35070-SH
(1) Lamp Harness PN: PT297-35070-LH
(1) AUX relay PN: PT297-89016
(1) 15 amp fuse

·
Registered
136 Posts
IMHO - for foglights to be effectiove they need to be mounted low and wide. Hard to do on a 4X4.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
IMHO - for foglights to be effectiove they need to be mounted low and wide. Hard to do on a 4X4.
I mounted mine on the bumper and they work great. The beam (520's) lands about 25-35 feet in front of the FJ and cuts through fog beautifully. True the lower the better, but the bumper position works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here are the 500 Hellas from Wally World and a pair of cheap fogs hidden under the lower grill. I used Toyota switches installed in the knock outs to the left of the steering wheel.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hella Illuminated Rocker Switches

The switches are HL96517 Hella Switch F/450 FG Kit Brush Guard Same as Toyota p/n 00550-35976, Made by Hella for Toyota Price: $6.68
Quantity: 2 Amount: $13.36

They shipped quick. I had to carve a little plastic out of the mounting hole, no big deal with a Dremel tool. I also had to look up the pinouts online. I just Googled the part number 550-35976 and found everything I needed to get it wired up right. The internal light in the switch only illuminates when it is turned on.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Well, got the Hella 500's mounted today. Have not yet had time to wire them up yet. Just mounted them to the existing holes underneath and put on a couple of larger washers on the bottom side. Saved a ton of money compared to the factory lights. From what I understand these are the same as the factory just without the FJ covers. Got them from Pep Boy's for just under 70$. Includes both lights, relay and switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, got the Hella 500's mounted today. Have not yet had time to wire them up yet. Just mounted them to the existing holes underneath and put on a couple of larger washers on the bottom side. Saved a ton of money compared to the factory lights. From what I understand these are the same as the factory just without the FJ covers. Got them from Pep Boy's for just under 70$. Includes both lights, relay and switch.

Looks great!!! I have the same light kit that I am installing tomorrow...What do you guys mean about the existing holes that are on the bumper ? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here is a link to the install instructions for the factory lights: http://trdsource.com/Pictures/litefj71AUX.pdf

If you look up under the bumper, you'll see where there are holes in the metal. I stuck a sharp awl up through the plastic so I could find the center, and then drilled down for the right size hole for the mounting bolts. The instructions are pretty tedious, but you may want to look them over to get familiar with the factory way of doing this.

I seem to recall there being 2 sets of holes, the right set will be obvious after a couple beers.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts