Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I'm a guy that loathed the silver bumper wings, and I'm so happy to have them gone! I ordered them and had them in hands inside of 3 days IIRC.

That night, it was a bit cold out, somewhat dark, but I went to work. As a guy with a normal length (but not very slender) arm, I had some difficulty reaching the clips in my bumper wings. So, I did a lazy man's method. I took out a saw, and chopped the bumper wings in half. This way I could see the backs of the clip mechanisms. The plastic is soft. I used my CRKT "Razel" tool, and a hammer, and carefully dismantled (pryed off) the assemblies.
I then reached into the bottom of the bumpers and scooped out the clips.

Installation was much easier!

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice to see this thread still going. I just managed to peel one of these bad larrys half off and fold it over lol

Thinking I will just hammer it back straight, instead of remaining lazy with it hanging half off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Installed mine recently. Like the exposed tire look, a little more distinctive than stock without an aftermarket bumper. Would consider pulling the factory wheel flares for a little more exposure if I knew that the wintertime salt would not be a problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed mine this weekend- these are awesome. Couldn't be happier, transforms the front end look. I was pleased with the fit and finish too, and I am an OCD SOB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received mine today and got them installed in about an hour. I had to remove the skid plate in order to be able to reach my hands up behind the bumper, but that was pretty simple with only 6 bolts holding it on.

Installing the diamond plates was a cinch. They really look really great! No more stupid remarks from my co-workers about missing one wing and a big dent in the other. If you want to get rid of those stupid looking and impractical Fisher-Price looking wings, this is the way to go!

BTW-I should have mentioned that I received mine in three days. Also, I had considered some type of DIY plates, but I'm glad I bought these from Rich. I couldn't have made anything as nice as these and I would have wasted a lot of time trying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I now have the flat black diamond plates installed. They look great!! They really improve the looks of the front end.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Will put up picks, but ordered mine a little while ago- he shipped them out that same day, and they were at the house the next. Took about an hour to put them on as those clips are a pain the ass. I left the bumper on so that's why. Absolutely love them. Great person to deal with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. God I need bigger tires, lol. As soon as these are worn out, bigger ones will be going on. Can't wait. The clearance with the silvers gone is awesome. Don't know why i didn't do it sooner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. God I need bigger tires, lol. As soon as these are worn out, bigger ones will be going on. Can't wait. The clearance with the silvers gone is awesome. Don't know why i didn't do it sooner.
Looks awesome man, I like that bug shield too, where'd you get it?

:smile

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Hey guys, received mine from Rich on Friday, (took 2 or 3 days to receive them after paying for them on Paypal) so I got them ON today.

I've read on here how some guys couldn't fit their hands up in there to get the tabs out,
and sure enough, my left hand goes in to "take a look around", it slipped past this big plastic tab thing
that seems to allow hands past it but doesn't allow hands to "backup", so it got stuck!

I'm 6"5'' 240. So a little bigger than average. I guess my hands are too.
As soon as I realized my hand was stuck, my wife walks into the garage and says "whatcha doin babe?"

I'm laying down there with this confused look on my face... trying to figure out how I'm going to explain...

:rofl:

After I freed myself, she jumps down and says "I'll do it!".
Gotta love a woman that doesn't mind turning a wrench!
So I got to play assistant today!

I didn't like the look of the hex head bolts, so I used some round head bolts on mine.
I'll probably shoot a little Plastidip over them tomorrow or I might leave them, can't decide.

Oh, and the other thing... after doing a lot of research here on the forums, I decided to Plastidip my grille, so I did that today as well.

The last one I took at a car lot that we went to tonight, looking at something new for the wife now, since I got my toy.

Pics below!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Hey guys, received mine from Rich on Friday, (took 2 or 3 days to receive them after paying for them on Paypal) so I got them ON today.

I've read on here how some guys couldn't fit their hands up in there to get the tabs out,
and sure enough, my left hand goes in to "take a look around", it slipped past this big plastic tab thing
that seems to allow hands past it but doesn't allow hands to "backup", so it got stuck!

As soon as I realized my hand was stuck, my wife walks into the garage and says "whatcha doin babe?"

I'm laying down there with this confused look on my face... trying to figure out how I'm going to explain...

I didn't like the look of the hex head bolts, so I used some round head bolts on mine.
I'll probably shoot a little Plastidip over them tomorrow or I might leave them, can't decide.

Oh, and the other thing... after doing a lot of research here on the forums, I decided to Plastidip my grille, so I did that today as well.

The last one I took at a car lot that we went to tonight, looking at something new for the wife now, since I got my toy.

Pics below!
That looks great, I need to order these asap

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks awesome man, I like that bug shield too, where'd you get it?

:smile
Thanks man. That's actually the Toyota Hood Protector. Got it for a great price because I worked for Toyota for a long time. I tried the AVS- absolute junk, didn't fit well at all. Weather tech was a POS, doesn't even bolt on, just tape. NO thanks. This one bolts to factory locations- brackets keep it away from the hood, and they even give you protective tape just in case the brackets move. Very pleased. It definitely helps with bugs too. While I still get plenty - it certainly deflects the air.

If you get one make sure you check. Each area of Toyota gets different accessories. I know for a fact the SE Toyota version is different than midatlantic where I am. Some SE Toyota ones dip down into the fake hood scoop. The exact opposite of what I wanted.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Pics below!

Did yours not come with black bolts?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Did yours not come with black bolts?
Like he said in the post you quoted:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I believe this post is relevant.

I'm an anti wing guy too. Those look pretty slick. However, I think with the wings gone, less 3-D, they make the bumper look EVEN Bigger. Top to bottom if measures a full 15 inches.

The plethora of plastic on these FJ's was almost a deal breaker for me. Especially on the rear body. Was real disappointed at what I saw when I uncovered the rear corners.

I wonder if anyone has done a front bumper trim job. I Googled it and found nothing.

I'm talking about cutting from above the top of the wing, closest to the tire and curve it down to meet the silver valance. A line similar to those on the aftermarket front bumpers. Exposing the tire and part of the WW bottle (another WTH was Toyota smoking???) , increasing off road capabilities a whole bunch, and yes, further depreciating you beloved Cruiser.You would need to dress up the cut, but some plastic tubing might do the trick.

As far as the rear end goes. I removed my wings and then fabbed up some pieces to replace them out of some 1/8th inch belting I scrounged at a gravel pit. Yes it was a bit scarred up, but I put it on anyways until I can find something better. If I could order plating like you guys found for the front, I would.

DSC03363.jpg

DSC03454.jpg

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
21 - 40 of 74 Posts