Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unlike the Warn rear, the Body Armor front bumper, though nice in Aluminum, didn't go as smoothly. The Warn instructions were perfect. If followed to the letter you couldn't go wrong.
The Body Armor outfit has work to do. Right off the bat they went wrong, telling me to unpack and check the contents (yup, some bolts were missing), then install the grill guard and lights (I didn't have any lights, but if I did I'd have been removing them later). You can't get the grill back on the truck with the grill guard in place. So I had to remove it, install the grill, and put it back on as the last step.

But the bumper did fit and does look nice. Suspension dropped 1/2" with it in place, no winch, stock springs and shocks, base package.

I used the mesh you see in the photos to help protect the rad and A/C stuff. It's rain gutter aluminum "expanded" mesh, which is supposed to reduce air flow the least of all the types of mesh you -could- use. Yes, I could have painted it black, but I like the black/aluminum combination. The mesh in behind the grill is zip tyed on with 10 black zip tyes. I drilled five holes in the lower bumper opening and used zip tyes to hold the bottom of that mesh. That allows me to fold it out and reach in to get to the bumper attaching nuts.

The Body Armor bumper had two threaded holes in the bottom on each side to attach the fender liner plastic to. They were in the wrong places, and those were the bolts they didn't bother to include in the packaging. No problem, I have lots of stainless 1/4" 20 TPI bolts, a #7 drill bit, and a tap (with handle). I put the holes where -I- thought they should be. I suppose most of you wouldn't even use the fender liners anyway. I like them and hope they will stop -most- of the water/mud from splashing up on the windshield when hitting larger puddles.

Five hours with one person and a helper to lift and place the bumper. Again, the instructions didn't tell me I had to pull -outwards- on each side of the stock bumper cover to unsnap it. That wasted about an hour of my time. The joys of bodywork! ;)

Not yet done is plugging the light holes. Not quite sure what I'll do there. Perhaps a large amber reflector. Perhaps some thick ethafoam. Don't need the lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Id still probably fill them with lights lol.

You could rig up some completely unnecessary brake cooling ducts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
omg...just what kind of critters do you guys run over in Canada????
That is some personal body protection!!!

really is a nice lookin' bumper

Jax':wave:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a steel body armor front bumper brand new in box from a guy on Craigslist and ordered a 9500 pound winch from Amazon but now I'm thinking twice about adding 150 lbs to the front of my Fj because I'm thinking it will lead to suspension work to carry the extra weight .any advice would be appricated thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts