Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pumped! Took off from work and headed over to the custom truck shop to have the Bushwacker pocket fender extenders installed.

To my surprise, they didn't fit on the front due to my Toyota factory brush guard!

Did I do myself a favour by not installing them? Or. Remove the brush guard and sell it and then have the pocket extenders installed?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Get rid of the brush guard. It won't do much to protect the front and will cause more damage if you are in a wreck. The Bushwackers are a more functional mod and will do a better job at protecting the side of your truck from rock and crap. I would go with the Bushwackers. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Bend both side of the brush guard.. done.. i did it... the space between the brush guard and bushwackers are 1"

:rocker: :wave:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Awesome ^^^!

I'm doing it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Question: What did you use to bend the brush guard?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Something to note: I've seen a few people around here mention that the fender flares will mess up the paint beneath them. Something to consider before you install if you haven't already. Search around I am sure there is some info....and maybe even a solution

·
Registered
190 Posts
Something to note: I've seen a few people around here mention that the fender flares will mess up the paint beneath them. Something to consider before you install if you haven't already. Search around I am sure there is some info....and maybe even a solution
I think the solution would be... "It's under the flare... you can't see it"

;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I restored my old CJ, I didn't want to damage the new paint so I did two things, one of which might be helpful. For the fender flairs I ran a bead of silicone between the fender flare and the fender, then bolted it on, wiped off the excess and let it dry. My theory was the damage will be dirt getting in there and wearing away at the paint. So the silicone filled the gap and kept dirt out (and rust away).

Second, where the fender met the firewall, I cut a strip of rubber off of an old truck sized inner tube (great source of flat rubber), then rubber cemented the strips to the fender, and then bolted them up. The thinking there was if the fender and firewall were to be in contact, the paint will chip away and rust will develop.

Both ideas worked as intended. I've pealed off the fender flares a couple times and it's been fine. When I put it back on, I put more silicone back in there as before and this time I ran a real fine bead across the top. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Mine been on a long time no problems...make sure there tight and you can buy a one sided stick down...other side thin foam 3M product that is perfect for a seal or protection.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I think the solution would be... "It's under the flare... you can't see it"

;)
'tis true, as long as you never want to take them off

some good ideas above

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
You really can never take them off, you cut too much of the original ones to replace. I have them and they look good, but are totally useless if you really use your FJ off road. Everyone of mine are broken and were after the first tough run I did with them, John Bull, which is not a terribly tough trail. Keep your stock ones in the long run you will be happier.

The material is not strong enough and the holes tear out upon impact with the wheel. It is a good looking product and really sets the mall crawler up, but the quality of them needs work. I just ordered another set as mine are about to fall off.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
^^^ Awesome ^^^!

I'm doing it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Question: What did you use to bend the brush guard?
I used our gas meter security posts :lol:

Im sure you get the Idea :lol:... you have to remove the brush guard from your FJ and protect the side that will get in contact with the post I used moving blankets... bend it a little bit at a time and test fit and measure it untill you clear your flares :bigthumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Keep your stock ones in the long run you will be happier.

It is a good looking product and really sets the mall crawler up, but the quality of them needs work.
Agreed.

I've never really understood the need for them. I run 37" tires with a 3" lift, and the stock flairs clear, and cover them fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts