Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if their is a problem with installing a snorkel with Bushwacker guards already fitted?. If this is a common problem then is there a snorkel company that has a suitable snorkel to suit a 2011 FJ with Bushwacker guards fitted?. Would'nt like to make the mistake of purchasing a snorkel and it not fit. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Numerous people on this site have cut the flares to accommodate the Safari snorkel. I don't know of any template for doing such a thing, though. I imagine it's a fairly simple, but time consuming, project.

BTW, welcome to the site!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Welcome aboard!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Here. I did a search for the term 'snorkel fender flares' and it turned up a number of build threads that documented these mods being incorporated. Looks like this:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the the reply's and cheers for the warm welcome too. I look foward to some more tech talk in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, if you dont feel confident enough or just dont want to tackle it, Man-A-Fre sells Bushwackers already cut for the snorkel. They cost a little more and have never seen them in person so I dont know how they fit, but I am just throwing it out there.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Also, if you dont feel confident enough or just dont want to tackle it, Man-A-Fre sells Bushwackers already cut for the snorkel. They cost a little more and have never seen them in person so I dont know how they fit, but I am just throwing it out there.
That's cool. I did not know that. See? Ya learn something new everyday around here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here is the reply I received from Man A Fre regarding retrofitting my existing bushwacker flare to accept a safari snorkel;

"Yes we can alter yours. Bushwacker does not sell the right front flare individually. It would run $90 plus S&H"

One of these days I'll send it in for the mod.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
No offense on this photo but, this looks like an over trimmed flares.. Can't rush this mod... trim a little bit at a time and test fit.. repeat the process multiple times to get the flares lined up with snorkel..

he're more photos from my installs..

AMGdriver

niceguysanti

frdh.. flares came from man-a-fre but it doesn't fit perfectly so i had to trim it.

LUNA

Mine

all you need is a dremel rotary cutter, wax pensil, filing tool and lots of patience :)
trim a little bit at a time, fit and trim some more do that til you get everything perfect.
filing tool will be your finishing tool..

once the cutting is done use a door sill protector or whetherstrip to cover the cut.. done!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Which attachement did you use on the Dremel tool to cut the plastic?

-B

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Which attachement did you use on the Dremel tool to cut the plastic?

-B
this...

don't use the drill bit like cutter coz that thing is out of control :lol:

:cheers:

·
Registered
935 Posts
this...

don't use the drill bit like cutter coz that thing is out of control :lol:

:cheers:
Awesome! I have a template from Man-A-Fre however I'm only to use it as a rough guide so that I have some wiggle room.

FYI the individual flares are available from bushwacker incase you mess up.

-B

·
Registered
500 Posts
I do NOT recommend spending an extra $100 - $150 for the cutout through Man-a-Fre. I ordered them that way and they do NOT fit even close. Joe and I had to spend an extra couple of hours just trying to make them fit right, could have just started out fresh and been done in the same amount of time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do NOT recommend spending an extra $100 - $150 for the cutout through Man-a-Fre. I ordered them that way and they do NOT fit even close. Joe and I had to spend an extra couple of hours just trying to make them fit right, could have just started out fresh and been done in the same amount of time.
That's good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just finished my install and damn....what a pain in the ass. I would have driven to to Man-A-Fre and paid them the $90 to trim the passenger side flare.

Some pictures:

I believe I still need to trim the flare a little bit more so that the front portion of the flare sits flush with the fender. I bought the little Dremel EZ-Lock kit from sears for $15 and started trimming away with the disks that were included. The disks in the kit were for metal but they worked just fine.

-B

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Big Pain In The Arse...That's all I will share...measure all you want, it still will be fugged!

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Anyone have tips on where I could locate this or a similar type of gasket/rubber for the flair to snorkel seal?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
You can buy it at almost any auto store... However, I have seen it more times than not at Walmart in the auto section... next to the stickers, leds, cigarette lighter attachments, and other blingy crap. Finding it in black was hard for me. Search or ask for door edge gaurd or molding.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts