Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While returning from an outing with my son today on his birthday, we encountered a wreck moments after it had happened (see pic below taken by my son through the bug-encrusted windshield of our FJ). One other car had stopped and they had just called 911. I ran up to the car that had slammed into a very large tree. Steam and some smoke was coming from under the hood. I peeked in to find the unconcious passenger buried under the dash and the door jammed closed. The couple who had stopped right before me were tending to the driver who was very disoriented. I got a bad sense about the smoke coming from under the hood and remembered the fire extinguisher that I had purchased and stored in my FJ after reading a thread on preparedness equipment on this forum. I shouted to some of the other folks that there was danger of fire and that I was going to get my extinguisher.

I ran back to my FJ, grabbed the extinguisher, and when I turned to run back to the wreck, flames had already started pouring out from underneath the hood and were at least 2-3ft high with some flames coming out from underneath the driver side wheel well. I used the extinguisher that I was very afraid was too small to do the job. It worked well and very quickly. I had the fire out by the time another person showed up with another portable extinguisher to treat it for good measure. While I was dealing with the fire, the couple had forcfully dragged the driver out (I wouldn't have done that just yet myself, but the couple didn't want the girl to burn up). A trained medical person showed up and took over for them. Some other untrained folks were getting ready to try to pull the other girl (passenger - not wearing seatbelt...) but I told them to stop and let the emergency responders do that because the fire was out. Then, the task turned contolling traffic until the emergency crews arrived. Once they did, I left the scene to stay out of the way.

I later followed up with a person whose house was right across the road from the accident (she was a nurse, but unbelievably, was unaware of the accident until the emergency vehicles were already there. She said that emergency personnel had told her that the passenger had been life-flighted out with major lower body trauma, but that both girls were expected to live. Thank God.

I absolutely believe that had I not had a fire extinguisher - thanks to this forum - it is quite possible that the fire would have reached the point of no return and that the passenger could have lost her life in the fire. It is of further note that due to reading threads on this forum, I made sure that I purchased a fire extinguisher specifically rated for automobile fire use. In this case, I believe some of the useful information on this forum may have saved the life of someone today. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow!

You did well...everything from stopping the fire to preventing movement of a severely injured person. Nicely done!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Totally agree! We should be prepare for what's happening on the road. Specially we have a all terrian vehicle. I mean, lots of people think we drive a SUV, so we only do off-road, waste a lot of gas, and do all the harmful things to the enviorment. But hey, we don't do street race like those EVO or Sti did! Those who modify their turbo waste more gas then us. Those who race on the street can kill other innocent people on the road! I think it's time for us to change the image, the image of us who drive the FJ at least.

So, for what you did today, is for all of us~! hats off for you!:cheers:

·
Registered
148 Posts
So what colour are your cape and tights gonna be?

Seriously though, good job! No need to say anymore- you my friend are a decent human being (and an FJ owner as well!):rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Great heads up maneuvers. Just remembering you had the fire exstinguisher was a good start especially with all the thoughts running through your head during the whole episode. My hat's off to you for keeping your wits about you. WTG! Because of that those girls didn't wind up in a burn unit.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
you did what any of us should do...the difference is you stopped and investigated and did something instead of driving by thinking "someone else will help"

God Bless you.....you likely saved those young girls lives.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Crotalus, you should feel damn good - not just for doing what you did, but for being able to do what you did. You had the foresight to allow you to save a life or at a minimum, prevent some horrific injuries.

A lot of people would’ve stopped… and later thought “Damn, I wish I could’ve prevented that girl from dying in the fire." You did both.

As others have said – hat’s off to ya man!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to help others. Awesome job! and what an inspiration you will be to your son. Pass it forward!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
someone once told me there are people that say something should have been done as long as it is not them...whether it is fear or complacency or thinking they dont make a difference. Then there are others that will jump into the fray without hesitation to do the right thing.

we know the type of man you are.... beers on me if we ever meet.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Nice job with the extinguisher!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Good job man - you saved the day...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I too put a fire extinguisher in my rig thanks to the advice of this forum. I think I may know add another after reading your story.
You did a heroic thing that day and more importantly set an outstanding example for your son.
God bless......

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have one in the truck and would not go with out it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts