Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is my first post -- having just joined after recently purchasing a new 2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser with 5-speed AT and OF (off-road) and CQ (convenience) packages. (I've driven Toyota for the past 22 years -- a 1986.5 Supra 5-speed followed by a 1998 4Runner 5-speed with PT4WD.)

Anyway... last Friday I test drove this 5-speed AT PT4WD FJC and received what I thought was an excellent deal from my local dealership (where I had purchased my prior two Toyotas). I had decided to get the AT because of its slightly higher MPG rating and because (in my ignorance) I thought the full-time 4WD 6-speed was unnecessary and even a "negative" ON-ROAD.

But then... later that evening and Saturday I read a significant number of threads and posts AT THIS WEBSITE that explained both the ON-ROAD driving advantages of a FT4WD as well as the pleasure of the 6-speed MT.

After weighing the plethora of evidence and opinions, it seemed apparent to me that I had blundered -- and should have gotten the 6-speed MT with FT4WD.

Unfortunately, my salesman informed me this morning that the dealership will sell me a new 6-speed FT4WD for the sticker difference between MSRP + $3,000 -- meaning, since my car is now USED, I will lose $3,000 on its value.

So, obviously, I'm disappointed (largely with myself for not moving slower on the buy) that my FJC has lost $3,000 owing to the fact that I drove it off the lot (it's now got 77 miles on it).

Anyone have any thoughts on what the best move is... :thinkerg:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I think once you start wheeling it you will be glad you got the auto. Just one less thing to concentrate on when crawling up and over an obstacle.
x2

However I myself do love the 6speed manual. never drove one but I rode with Missmy60 in his and really liked his, it just felt different.
I also have the auto tranny and have no complaints about how it performs on the trail..
If I had a larger bank account I would have one of each..lol! sorry about your situation though.. I know its tough..

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Hmmm, the age old discussion of stick vs auto...

I wonder why the experts will not spot a stick shift on Hell's Gate????? The auto has it hands down on rough terrain. (Flame suit on...)

The part-time 4X4 vs full-time 4X4 to me, makes the difference!

I was a stick addict for many years, but the FJ auto Rocks!!!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
872 Posts
I would have picked the manual myself, but had no choice in the matter and have an automatic. But, now you're here too, so just deal with it. There are pros and cons to each,a nd honestly, I'm really growing to like the AT more than most of the ones I've driven, so for $3K, it's not worth it IMHO

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You should be happy to have the auto, it's definitely a lot easier to drive the AT than the MT off road. The only thing I actually like about the MT is that it's full time 4WD and the fact that it has lower gears than the AT.:bandit:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
You should be happy to have the auto, it's definitely a lot easier to drive the AT than the MT off road. The only thing I actually like about the MT is that it's full time 4WD and the fact that it has lower gears than the AT.:bandit:
Hmmm, 007FJ and others say the stick is always a half-a-gear off...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yamsman.. what is your lot in life. Married, 30, daily driver,off-road 30% WHAT? The AT does take a lttle getting used to, this is my first, but it;s a good one and you;ll learn to like it. If you're below the snow belt, PT $X$ will be just fine, Stay with it for six months,,, if you feel like trading after that, the economy will be better anyhow.. Ron

Hello All,

This is my first post -- having just joined after recently purchasing a new 2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser with 5-speed AT and OF (off-road) and CQ (convenience) packages. (I've driven Toyota for the past 22 years -- a 1986.5 Supra 5-speed followed by a 1998 4Runner 5-speed with PT4WD.)

Anyway... last Friday I test drove this 5-speed AT PT4WD FJC and received what I thought was an excellent deal from my local dealership (where I had purchased my prior two Toyotas). I had decided to get the AT because of its slightly higher MPG rating and because (in my ignorance) I thought the full-time 4WD 6-speed was unnecessary and even a "negative" ON-ROAD.

But then... later that evening and Saturday I read a significant number of threads and posts AT THIS WEBSITE that explained both the ON-ROAD driving advantages of a FT4WD as well as the pleasure of the 6-speed MT.

After weighing the plethora of evidence and opinions, it seemed apparent to me that I had blundered -- and should have gotten the 6-speed MT with FT4WD.

Unfortunately, my salesman informed me this morning that the dealership will sell me a new 6-speed FT4WD for the sticker difference between MSRP + $3,000 -- meaning, since my car is now USED, I will lose $3,000 on its value.

So, obviously, I'm disappointed (largely with myself for not moving slower on the buy) that my FJC has lost $3,000 owing to the fact that I drove it off the lot (it's now got 77 miles on it).

Anyone have any thoughts on what the best move is... :thinkerg:

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Every time i pull out of the driveway i HATE the fact that mine is an automatic. I absolutely hate automatics.... So damn boring to drive.

But, once i have to climb over or up anything i think of how lucky i am to have an automatic when wheeling.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Try and shift manually every now and again, IT'll help with the pain.. LOL... Ron

Every time i pull out of the driveway i HATE the fact that mine is an automatic. I absolutely hate automatics.... So damn boring to drive.

But, once i have to climb over or up anything i think of how lucky i am to have an automatic when wheeling.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Get what you want. If you have the 3k to spare then do what will make you happy.

It might be more difficult to do a certain task with whatever transmission you decide to go with, but your the one driving it and it should be what makes you happy.

I haven't driven my FJ yet, however my preference for all my vehicles is MT. Sure it might be harder to do things, but challenges are fun.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wheelin doesn't mean driving up the face of Mt. Rushmore.

I love my 6MT and had a auto '02 & '03 4Runner. I hate the dead zone in the Toyota auto when coasting and then accellarating. That Toyota auto trait drove me nuts and it always seemed searching for the right gear.

I love the 6MT it drives like a truck, which it is.

I am in Philly on business and have seen 4 FJ's since yesterday. They seem more popular here than home.

There aren't any '08 6MT's left in the SE region, so the AT might be your only option for the next few months until the '09's arrive.

It's only money, if $3K will make you whole, go for it. Get the dealer to throw in a free 100K extended warranty, it cost them pennies on the dollar and they will have two sold units for the month, which will help their quota.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
When I ordered my M/T-6 equipped TT SE, they had an A/T TT SE equipped exactly like mine on the lot and it was tempting to take immediate delivery. After about a week I got a call that, due to a snafu @ the Port Facility my FJ would be delayed an additional 7-10 days & they offered the A/T model to me for $1,500 less than we had agreed to on the M/T-6 FJ on order. Once again it was a tough decision to wait but I did and got the price break on mine when it arrived and I'm very happy with it. The gear ratios on the M/T-6 are well suited to the torque of the 4.0L and for me the offers the perfect FJ driving experience. I've been off-roading with a manual trannie vehicle since 1974 when I bought a CJ-5 Renegade with the 304 V8 and 3 Speed on the floor and have never felt the M/T was a disadvantage. On the other hand if you are not an M/T junkie, the A/T version has some definite advantages; fuel mileage, off-roading has one less component for you to deal with, and resale (A large segment of the population will never consider buying an M/T vehicle).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yamsman,
I recently bought my FJ and got one with 6MT. Took me a while to find one. I have always driven manual and probably always will. There are a few occasions when I wished I had gotten a automatic. However I am happy with my mt.

Bottom line, the grass always seems to look greener on the other side, but its the same old grass. Yes there are pros and cons for either type of trans, each for individual taste or situations.

The way I look at it, its a win win situation. Look at it this way, it doesn't matter if you got a 6MT or auto, either way you got a really cool vehicle. You got an FJ!! So take it out wheelin and enjoy. You will probably get to like your FJ so much, it won't matter anymore.

Besides, toyota has enough money, they don't need an extra $3000.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
It's all in your mind. Just keep the AT and enjoy it,at least you will save some money on gas.

By the way, I hate the Phillies

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the 6mt and now have about 12,000 miles on mine.

I do love the sheer driving pleasure it gives me when I drive it. But have also been stuck in some pretty crappy traffic and thought, "Man I wish I had an AT".

So there are always circumstances to each scenario. And lets face it you can drink a coffee, eat a burger or a doughnut and drive better with an AT anyway..... I know lame excuse but hey you have one of the best trucks in the market enjoy it....AT or MT....put a smile on!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts