Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I can buy identical FJs (all options the same, including color). One is a 2010, and the other is a 2011, and they are about $1K different in price. I understand that there is a little more HP in the 2011, but functionally, how different are we talking between the two? Is it better to spend $1K more for the 2011, or would the 2010 be basically the same in driving experience, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My $0.02. Go for the 2011. It's only money. And you don't start out with a 1 year old rig. :lol::wave:
Whats the color ? That might make me change my response.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If, they are both new, and both identical in every way, then obviously go for the cheaper one. But the big thing is, they wont be completely identical. The 2011's come with a few slightly different things. Different head rests on the rear seats, the front seats lean forward just a little bit more, a different head unit (i believe), and unless you're getting steelies they have different alloys. So, if all the the things I just listed (and the things I've forgotten) are worth the extra 1k, then get the '11. If not, get the '10 and use the 1k for some mod money!

·
Registered
655 Posts
1k is not enough. A 'last year model' should be at least 5k lower than the new one. In fact, Toyota raised the price of the 2011, so the dealer is not even giving you any real rebate on his overstock...

Go back and ask for 5k off the 2010. Otherwise, go for the 2011...

That's my 2 cents...

·
Registered
477 Posts
When we bought ours in January, we found dealers asking about the same(within a few hundred dollars) for 2010s as 2011s. They also acted like the 2010s were something special and that we were lucky they still had one in stock. Why buy a vehicle that is instantly a year old when we drive it off the lot when we could have a current model year? Everything else being equal(equipment, condition, mileage et al), a few years down the road, the depreciation on the 2011 should be less than on the 2010. That's been my experience from the purchase of lots of vehicles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thread on the 2010s--thanks for the link.

Both FJs are Silver, which is not my favorite, but preferable to Yellow or Brick (sorry to those who like these colors!) I like Black, White, and Army Green, but Silver might grow on me...it might hide the dirt better when I go all winter w/o washing it in the rain here in western Oregon.

I do agree with the year difference in depreciation--very valid point.

Thanks for all the replies!:rocker:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good thread on the 2010s--thanks for the link.

Both FJs are Silver, which is not my favorite, but preferable to Yellow or Brick (sorry to those who like these colors!) I like Black, White, and Army Green, but Silver might grow on me...it might hide the dirt better when I go all winter w/o washing it in the rain here in western Oregon.

I do agree with the year difference in depreciation--very valid point.

Thanks for all the replies!:rocker:
Probably the most significant benefit to a 2011 would be bluetooth (if part of your package). It's a significant benefit over 2010's.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ences-between-2010-2011-fj-2.html#post1817429

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
you want the BT i have a 2011 and the fact that its a 2011 should be enough the added BT not only allows you to make hands free calls but it streams music over your phone or ipod too... i love having XM and you cant go wrong with the backup camera.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in the same boat right now... looking at Black 2010 and 2011's... only difference for me is that they want $1800 under invoice for the 2010, and $500 over for the 2011. I want the bluetooth really bad but $2300 bucks??? Ugh.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I put in the bluetooth myself on my 2010 and you can buy it from one of the forum vendors for about $180. No steering wheel controls, but I have not found that to be an issue at all. In fact I rarely use the radio steeering wheel controls, so maybe it is just me.

As for depreciation, if you buy a 2010 now a few years down the road you will likely have a "low mileage" 2010 which is always a selling point if you plan to sell it private. I am not sure either side of this coin will really make much difference in the end.

There are no significant differences (in my opinion) between the 2010's and 2011's. Just get the one you like best or that you can get the best deal on. if you plan to do a lot of mods first, perhaps the 2010 is better simply because there are more people that can verify the installs on a 2010. Sometimes small changes are made to the new models and it takes a little while until everyone figures out that this bolt changed and that wire was moved, etc.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
or you could get yourself the 2010 model, and get one of the pioneer double din navigation units.. you get bluetooth, iPod integration, navigation, MP3/DVD/DivX player.. and some models come Sirius ready IIRC..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts