Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm picking up my new to me FJ on Tuesday, 2010 TTSE, but before I close the deal I'm taking it to a Toyota dealership with the seller to give it a once over to make sure everything is good.
I'm not sure of the maintenance that has already been done on the truck, I asked the seller, I know he did routine oil changes but "I'm bad with receipts" was what I was told for everything else. That and theres been three previous owners. But when I first looked at it everything looked pretty clean, I looked under the vehicle and didn't see any obvious signs of wheeler abuse, engine bay looks clean, just a few nicks and dings in the paint that I plan on taking care of. It's a 6-speed manual trans, which I don't know if its had the TSB on the pilot shaft done, is there any way to find out? would a tech be able to see that it was done?
When I test drove it, everything seemed fine, the clutch was a little "springy" as I described it, but this is the newest car I will ever own, so I'm not sure what modern clutches in cars (newer than 1998) feel. The way the it keeps the revs up while shifting is definitely something I'll have to get used to.
So, either while its at Toyota, or when I get it home what should I go over and check on the truck? Is there a maintenance schedule that goes 150K+ for an FJ? I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, and am very mechanically inclined so I plan on doing most things myself, I just have to know what to look for. I'd buy a FSM, but the $500+ price tag on eBay is a bit much...

Thanks for the help guys! I can't wait to pick up my FJ, I feel like a kid on christmas, I'm starting to lose sleep over it :bouncy:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
If it was me buying it and I didn`t know the maintence history I would change everything. Front and rear diff oil, transfer case ( if 4wd ) spark plugs, air filter. Clean the MAF sensor. Power steering fluid and new coolant. I would also change trans oil. Hope I thought of all of it. Maintence is key to a long life truck :)

Reactions: bazross

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was me buying it and I didn`t know the maintence history I would change everything. Front and rear diff oil, transfer case ( if 4wd ) spark plugs, air filter. Clean the MAF sensor. Power steering fluid and new coolant. I would also change trans oil. Hope I thought of all of it. Maintence is key to a long life truck :)
Being it's a 6-speed manual, do you know what type of gear oil it would use? I've honestly never changed the oil in any of my manual transmission cars. Even my 98 Toyota T100 with 240k on the clock.
I'm probably going to change everything just for the comfort of knowing when it's been done.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Being it's a 6-speed manual, do you know what type of gear oil it would use? I've honestly never changed the oil in any of my manual transmission cars. Even my 98 Toyota T100 with 240k on the clock.
I'm probably going to change everything just for the comfort of knowing when it's been done.
Mine is a automatic but if you call the dealer they can tell you what type of gear oil. When in doubt change it all :)

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
36,893 Posts
You can also put the VIN# in while at the dealer or yourself on Toyota Owners Official Web Site and if any work was done by a Toyota dealer it should show up on the computer.

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Being it's a 6-speed manual, do you know what type of gear oil it would use?.
Red Line says

For use in front and rear differentials: 75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil
For use in 4WD transfer case: 75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil
For use in manual transmission: MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO WAY!!! Thats awesome! Thank you so much for letting me know this exists! :cheers: I'm almost tempted to buy a few cartridges of ink and a few reams of paper to print this and put it in a binder, but I think my printer would crap out before it was finished :lol:

·
Registered
762 Posts
NO WAY!!! Thats awesome! Thank you so much for letting me know this exists! :cheers: I'm almost tempted to buy a few cartridges of ink and a few reams of paper to print this and put it in a binder, but I think my printer would crap out before it was finished :lol:
Just save the PDF, and keep it handy on some cloud storage, so you can access whenever needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts