Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
After reading the posts... not sure if I how I should feel. I was able to locate a New 2010Trail Team Edition in Boston Area...with the following:
TT Package
TRD Brake Kit
Trails Team All Weather Cargo Mat Roof Rack
Armrest - Passenger Side
Preferred Owner''s Portfolio
Towing Hitch & Wire Harness

Can someone make me feel better? I am paying $33,700 and adding TRD exhaust, VIP Alarm, Blu Tooth and XM radio for another $2500.

Are these ok prices for a 2010 TT edition?

·
Registered
676 Posts
After reading the posts... not sure if I how I should feel. I was able to locate a New 2010Trail Team Edition in Boston Area...with the following:
TT Package
TRD Brake Kit
Armrest - Passenger Side

Can someone make me feel better? I am paying $33,700 and adding TRD exhaust, VIP Alarm, Blu Tooth and XM radio for another $2500.

Im not one to tell people that I think they are paying to much. But I do think thats a little high. Maybe not so much on the truck. But the exhaust etc. etc is way to much. Look aftermarket for that kind of stuff. Is 33700 out the door. If so that is another story. Good job!

For example. I work for a Toyota Dealer so I pretty much get them at cost. What some people here say cost is will differ.
Im in Texas and it is a different region then the East coast. So I am not 100% sure on the options. All the base cost should be the same
Here is the equipment I have on mine and the price I paid. I think that if you are looking for a 10 TT you should hit them around 500-750 over invoice which should put you around $31100-31500 plus taxes and all that.

I payed 30356 plus all taxes.MSRP was $33593
Equipment was

FE 50 State Emissions
SE Trail Teams Special Edition Package:
Sandstorm Exterior Color (including R
Hood Blackout, Blackout Mirrors, Bump
Ends, Door Handles, and Grille, TRD
Beadlock Style Alloy Wheels w/
BFGoodrich All-Terrain P265/75R16 Tir
Trail-tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers,
Active Traction Control,Locking Rear
Differential, Rock Rails,AM/FM/MP3
6-Disc CD Changer w/ 9 Speakers
(Includes Subwoofer w/Off Switch)
& Aux Audio Jack,Leather-wrapped
Steering Wheel w/ Integrated Audio
Controls,Remote Keyless Entry System,
Cruise Control, Power Outside Mirrors
Illuminated Markers, Rear Privacy Gla
Rear Wiper, Backup Camera Linked to a

SE Trail Teams Special Edition Package:
Rear Wiper, Backup Camera Linked to a
* ** -Port Install (RR,RM,BD,HA,A2,WL)
CR Passenger Center Arm Rest
DH Drop Hitch (w/Wire Harness & Ball Mou
P4 Vehicle Shield Package
Lusterizing Sealant
Sound Shield
Sealant Cleaner
Rental Car Assistance
I2 PDS - with State Inspection
G1 Vehicle Fueling (4 Gal.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
TT Package
TRD Brake Kit
Armrest - Passenger Side

You are paying a premium for a specific vehicle... If it's a left-over '10 TT with virtually no miles, it's likely the only one left. I paid "some" less for a NSSE 2011, but there seem to be a lot of them around. When looking for my FJ, I found that left-over 2010s cost about the same as a similarly equipped 2011. So yes, you are paying a little more than the going rate for a new 2010, but it's also not a run-of-the-mill FJ. If you like it and you want it and you can afford it--in the end, it doesn't matter all that much if you over pay a little. I say, "go for it!"

·
Registered
477 Posts
Heathbarcrunch, you certainly are 'paying a premium'...over $36000 dollars. Be aware that your 2010 TT is already a year old and even though it is a TT you are way over what a 2011 costs. That is a 2011 with off roadpkg., tow, automatic, convenience pkg.(which includes factory installed XM in the radio(not dealer added control box) with factory roof antenna and bluetooth and USB port, alloy wheels, etc. lists for around 32 and I have seen several negotiated for 30(that's what I paid).

I also found dealers asking almost the same for a 2010 as a 2011, so I took the 2011 which had more features for a few hundred more. I liked the XM and bluetooth that the 2010 didn't have. and down the road the 2011 will be worth more compared to a 2010 of the same configuration.
So that's 6,000 more for a year old model. 6,000 willl buy a lot of mods/other stuff. In a few years, it is very unlikely the 2010 'TT' will be worth 6,000 more than a 2011 with all the options I just mentioned. If you have to have this particular TT, you are really taking a bath financially. Why not wait for a 2011 TT. Then again, it's your money and sometimes it's just fun to go for it...although if you just wanted to do that you probably wouldn't have hesitated and sought our advice.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Thanks for the honesty and feedback. [If I wasnt looking for honesty and less knowledgable opinion, then I would have emailed my mom...]

My order for a loaded 2011 Silver Fresco with the basically the same options was put on hold [obviously with everything going on over in Japan] and I needed to get rid of the vehicle I was driving. The dealer than called and said hey we are getting a silver fresco in, but we will work with you to get all the options installed you had ordered. The price went from 36,500 [out the door] to 40,500 plus tax and the trade-in price dropped by 1000. I got sick of the dealer and walked away.
Then the wife [upper management] and kids drove past a sandstorm Trailteam edition and the game was afoot.

Then the same dealer called and said I have an "executive" sandstorm with 3400 miles for $38k...
I confirmed that the brooklyn bridge would also be included as well- to justify the $5k above the bluebook price. He had no answer when I emailed him 2 seperate Sandstorms on ebay for less with less mileage.
I used both cars.com and mlot iphone app to locate a vehicle I wanted.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm an old man and between my wife and I we have purchased over 50 vehicles. Vehicles are our addiction.

I'd stop communicating with the dealer that is jerking you around. Based on what you have communicated that is just wasting your time and making what should be a happy experience irritating. Tell him you are no longer interested and to stop calling you. If he calls you again, contact the dealership and ask to speak to the GM(General Manager) who is over all the sales mgrs. and finance mgrs., service mgrs., etc.. He/she is basically in charge of the whole store and tell him/her to leave you alone.

Instead of being forced into a decision, I'd keep looking. You say you needed to get rid of the vehicle you are driving. I've felt that way before, but kept on driving my old one rather than take a bad deal. It saved me money in the long run. Also, if for some reason I couldn't drive my old vehicle I have borrowed or rented for a couple of weeks. Still a lot cheaper than the bad deals I was encountering.

I've also broadened my search and looked at dealer inventories on line. I've used Toyota.com for dealers within 250 miles of my zip using the advanced search function on the Toyota site. I live in the boonies, but that brought up 26 dealers. Our 2011 was purchased from a dealer in another state over 100 miles from our house. We did everything via e-mail and over the phone including the quote for our trade. What we paid was exactly, to the penny, what was in the e-mail from the Internet Mgr. at the dealership. It was a great experience. No hassle. The dealer in NE was a little cheaper on the unit and gave me 2,000 more than several other dealers around Denver for my trade. I don't worry about after sale service, I take my FJ to our local dealer for service,parts and accessories and they are happy to have our business and treat us well. Your 2011 should have free service for the first 2 yrs or 24k miles anyway as part of Toyota's included maintenance on new FJs.

To check what's happening now, I just did a search today of some of those 26 dealers and found lots of FJs. No additional mark up. I guess there's something I'm not understanding or aware of about your situation.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Heathbarcrunch, You mentioned Boston. Just for fun, I used zip code 02123(a boston area zip) and it gave me 63 dealers within 100 miles of it. I checked a few, they have FJs, they are even offering internet pricing up front to induce you to e-mail/contact them. They give color and installed options.
We enjoy shopping. I've done this: I'd get the family involved if I were too busy to search. They can do the initial checking on line as far as prices, color, options and any other details you want. That may also get their mind off the TT 'deal' you seem to be having challenges with. Then I'd take the list they have created and do the actual contact of several dealers. I have had no problem getting e-mail quotes/responses from multiple stores doing this in the past. E-mail is nice because it is in writing and avoids 'salesperson/buyer confusion and misunderstanding'. Be sure the e-mail info. and quote is from or approved by the Internet or Sales Manager to avoid any 'misunderstanding'. I have had zero 'misunderstandings' using this method. I make a phone call to reconfirm details. If it is still all good, we explain that we will be taking a drive to the dealer for a thorough test drive under the conditions we plan on using the vehicle...in town, on the Interstate, loaded with people, car seats, gear, whatever. If it turns out the unit isn't what we wanted, we have several others to check out the same or next day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Other members have mentioned this before, but it is still some of the best information you can go to battle ... err, buy ... with: check out edmunds.com, truecar.com, etc. and find out pretty much what the vehicle cost the dealer. Then bring that info with you to the dealer and explain precisely what value YOU place on the vehicle you are interested in. Then be prepared to look elsewhere. It may take a few weeks and many visits to different dealers, but one of them WILL meet your valuation if it is at all reasonable, particularly if you leverage the dealer against others.

Using that basic process, I felt the most empowered and knowledgeable I've ever been in a new car purchase negotiation, and it made it so much fun I can't wait to do it again. In fact, I've been bugging my friends to let me go with them the next time they purchase a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Good points and all well taken. I think the only reason for trying to hanging there (now seems foolish) was to work with a local dealer for service reasons. It was amazing to me what should have been a pleasant experience just wasnt.. Ya live and ya learn I guess.
I thought my obsession with land rover defenders was bad. Just wait till the modifications I am considering start to arrive at the doorsteps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 upgrade pkg, offroad pkg, w/steelies for $29,897 out the door in Dublin, OH. They gave me $16900 for my used FJ with 120000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys.. I might not the first one asking this but I need help.
I am so badly want to buy an FJ and I'm really confused what right price I need to offer.
-Blue/Sand 2011 AUTO
-4WD
-Convenience Package
-Upgrade Package
-Running Boards
-Hitch
-Roof Rack
-Arm rest
.. and will it make a difference if I paid in cash?
I appreciate it guys.:wave:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Guys.. I might not the first one asking this but I need help.
I am so badly want to buy an FJ and I'm really confused what right price I need to offer.
-Blue/Sand 2011 AUTO
-4WD
-Convenience Package
-Upgrade Package
-Running Boards
-Hitch
-Roof Rack
-Arm rest
.. and will it make a difference if I paid in cash?
I appreciate it guys.:wave:

check out truecear.com for pricing.

Cash? I don't think it matters. The dealer gets paid regardless if it is your cash or the bank's. I think you might get a better deal if you finance with the dealers bank (if they can offer a matching deal with your best non-dealer bank) as they get a kickback from the bank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely go to truecar.com to figure out invoice pricing & holdback; once you determine around what the dealer paid for a vehicle it makes it a lot easier to negotiate a final price.

After that, online shop ALL dealers in your general vicinity and get quotes on similar vehicles, even if they are not colored as you wish. Then use those quotes - remember, your local dealer doesn't know you prefer blue over white - to leverage your purchase. Be prepared to walk, and be prepared to be patient in order to get the best deal, and most of all just be prepared. Know the vehicle you are shopping for better than the salesman, and show them you KNOW what you want and what you will pay. It is up to them to determine if that price is doable or not. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
2011 FJ Army Green Monotone

Upgrade pkg 3
Tow
arm rest
rock rails
roof rack
carpet pkg

30720 + ttl

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive seen a few replies about truecar.com. Does this actually work? Do the dealers listed with the prices actually sell them to you for that price plus options? any experiences with it? Im in the same boat here

·
Registered
134 Posts
ive seen a few replies about truecar.com. Does this actually work? Do the dealers listed with the prices actually sell them to you for that price plus options? any experiences with it? Im in the same boat here
It worked well for us. Gave us a barometer to judge offers against when going to dealers. The dealers in our area gave incredible deals - below invoice, just above cost. Then they screwed themselves when they tried to slip aftermarket parts (tow hitch and wire harness) instead of the toyota brand parts.

But yes, it does work.. just be super accurate when entering zip code, packages, options, color, etc. More accurate you are the better it will work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just bought a Black (really wanted black and they are in very short supply in 4wd in So Cal) 2011 4WD + CQ + OF +RL +3A +DH +Z1 for 29,500 + TTL. Truecar price was over 600 more and they claim only 10 cars were in this price range or below in the last 90 days. I did all my negotiating through email exclusively (let all salesmen calls go to VM). There were some features I didnt especially want but at the end of the day supply was extremely limited so I was glad to get the color I wanted at the price I wanted.

Also very pleased that my insurance only went up $200/yr replacing my 10 yr old civic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay so i'm in the process of negotiating a 2011 and there's alot of unadvertised fees, do these sound a little BS or are all of these fair?

Dealer Holdback $610.00
Advertising Fee $823.00
Parts Inventory $82.00
Financial Reserve $305.00
Gas $14.00
Inspection $63.00

Total: $1,897

I mean if I'm entitled to pay all of these fees before tax title and license i'd already be paying $1,897 over invoice. Do those numbers make sense?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
okay so i'm in the process of negotiating a 2011 and there's alot of unadvertised fees, do these sound a little BS or are all of these fair?

Dealer Holdback $610.00
Advertising Fee $823.00
Parts Inventory $82.00
Financial Reserve $305.00
Gas $14.00
Inspection $63.00

Total: $1,897

I mean if I'm entitled to pay all of these fees before tax title and license i'd already be paying $1,897 over invoice. Do those numbers make sense?
so in technicality the dealer invoice includes all this... the dealer buying price is minus all that... if you can get the car for invoice i would go with it...

so for my 2011 iceberg with convenience tow hitch and passenger side arm rest i paid 29450 something like that...

61 - 80 of 105 Posts