Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this thread, currently daily drive my Hyper Blue BRZ and looking for something more practical to daily drive since I live in PA with harsh winters, and inclement weather is common. Since i work with Computers/Networks, transporting boxes/switches/servers is hard to do in such a small car. Just looking for some advice on a couple FJ's I'm currently looking at. First is an 07' with 138k miles for 14K, lifted with snorkel, voodoo blue, its High miles concerns me, looks modded to go off road, but dealer say's it never was. 2nd- is a 07' 6 spd Manuel 17k with 87k miles, silver, seems to be loaded, has the 400W power adapter and the A-Trac. (a little more than I wanted to spend, but willing to since it was well kept). The 3rd is a 07' with 101k miles for 13k and is voodoo blue again. 3rd one seems to good to be true, low price and miles, CarFax wasn't available, which made me a little concerned. I was reading over other forum posts on here and there was some good advice. Buying a FJ with higher mileage is cheaper and more within my price range but I need it to last a long time, which is leaning me to the one with 87k miles so it last longer and was better maintained, just wondering if anyone can give more advice. I've only test driven automatic's but currently daily a 6 speed, so I'm more interested to find another Manuel. I can provide links to them specially if wanted. Since I'm new to this area, just looking for general advice on buying a FJ. Hoping I can find one soon! They look amazing, and the few I've test driven feel amazing!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pgh. I would probably not recommend the first one for you since the FJ has been modified. The previous owner may not have wheeled it but I wouldn't take the dealers word for it. Also when these are modded the fuel mileage, which is not great out of the box, gets worse and may not be ideal for your use. The last two seem more like vehicle for your needs. Some times the car fax won't show much if the vehicle isn't serviced by a shop that reports the work or if the services are done by the owner. My best advice to you is to take them to your mechanic and let them go over them and see if there's any issues they would be concerned with. Most shops will do this for less than $100.00 and this will give you peace of mind. Good luck with the search and don't be afraid to come back here for advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would agree with the mechanic part. Dont assume that the claims of maintainence have been done as stated. My recent fj purchase was supposed to be well maintained but the diff fluid was molasses, oil was sludge, oil filter was ancient, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help so far! With this next snow storm moving in, I was trying to not get pressured into buying. Lets hope that stays true! I guess it's personal preference but do you guys prefer to drive a 6spd FJ or an automatic?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think in your area if salt is used on winter roads you should be looking underneath for any rust issues.recently A new owner posted pics of a super clean fj but it had some major rust issues underneath that were over looked. You should look for actual rust and make sure they haven't tried to band aid any issues with a fresh coat of something to hide it as well. Good luck take your time

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
New to this thread, currently daily drive my Hyper Blue BRZ
My weekend fun car is an '06 S2000 :rocker:

First is an 07' with 138k miles for 14K, lifted with snorkel, voodoo blue, its High miles concerns me, looks modded to go off road, but dealer say's it never was.
Easy enough to check the engine skid plate, plastic gas tank skid, rear differential, frame mounts for the rear lower control arms etc. Just climb under the truck and look, if it's never been offroaded it will be clean underneath. Or you can look for pinstripes (tree branch scratches) on the sides of the truck. I don't know how many rocks you guys have around there but sticks / mud won't scratch a truck like rocks will.

2nd- is a 07' 6 spd Manuel 17k with 87k miles, silver, seems to be loaded, has the 400W power adapter and the A-Trac. (a little more than I wanted to spend, but willing to since it was well kept).
Sounds decent, see more on AT vs MT below.

The 3rd is a 07' with 101k miles for 13k and is voodoo blue again. 3rd one seems to good to be true, low price and miles, CarFax wasn't available, which made me a little concerned.
The price is a little on the low end, but it's easy enough to tell if it's been in an accident (repainted body panels, things don't line up straight). Just give it a close look over.

I was reading over other forum posts on here and there was some good advice. Buying a FJ with higher mileage is cheaper and more within my price range but I need it to last a long time, which is leaning me to the one with 87k miles so it last longer and was better maintained, just wondering if anyone can give more advice.
And this is usually the point where I tell people that they have a ~$10,000 choice to make. In 20 years you won't want the '07 FJ Cruiser, for a variety of reasons: fender bulges, weak rear differentials etc. You'll want a 2010+, after they fixed all that and when it gets the upgraded engine. Problem is, for decent miles (50-60K) in your area you're looking at $23-24K for the right truck. So you have a decision to make: buy the cheap FJ with the known set of problems or buy the more expensive FJ (none you have listed) with less factory problems. Not to overstate the factory problems, they're not major, plenty of '07 FJ's on the road and everything can be fixed. But if your goal is to buy the best FJ that you can hand down to your kids, and not just a cheaper good-enough FJ, then you have a ~$10,000 choice to make.

I've only test driven automatic's but currently daily a 6 speed, so I'm more interested to find another Manuel. I can provide links to them specially if wanted. Since I'm new to this area, just looking for general advice on buying a FJ. Hoping I can find one soon! They look amazing, and the few I've test driven feel amazing!
The manuals are better on-road in bad weather because they're AWD, the automatic guys (me) have to switch the truck into 4H when we have traction problems. But the automatics are easier to drive off-road, especially if you're doing trails harder than a 2-3 on TrailDamage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!! Your S2000 sounds sweet!:clap: I'm trying to not get pressured into buying, but like you said I can't be too choosy or they will all be gone and I'll have to wait awhile, which I'm cool with! I would prefer an 6spd but they seem pretty rare and are getting up there in my price range. There's one about a hour away with 101k miles and is loaded, roof rack, subwoofer, power outlet, A Trac, Diff Lock, Parking sensor, not modded at all, AT for 14,991. Could probably talk them down a little. The 1st one has my heart though, the looks of it are amazing. Buying with 135k miles was taught to me as a no-go, but Toyota's last forever right? It has enough life in it? Good call on the rust! I did check inside the engine bay and normal places, didn't crawl underneath due to being 15 degrees, but if I go back I definitely will. There is about 15-30 inches of snow coming this week up, I was hoping to get some off snow tracking time in it, but purchasing that quick might be a problem, haha!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts