Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time poster here battling a major dilemma. For about 6/7 years I've wanted an FJ cruiser as the first vehicle I purchased myself. I'm 23 and finally almost done college (graduating this summer), getting my green card at the end of 2015 (born/raised in Canada) and will be looking to buy my first car in February/March of 2016 (currently driving an 07 Jeep Patriot given to me by my parents).

My dilemma is, come that time should I look into purchasing a FJ even though it has been discontinued or should I look more into the 4runner or maybe a Jeep Wrangler? I'm debating because I was thinking that if I get a used FJ a year from now - any issues I have will be more expensive to fix because it has been discontinued and parts/labor will be more expensive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You can buy your FJ worry free....First Any manufacture that discontinues a model must honor the warranty of the vehicle and continue to provide parts for that product for years after last production year, Usually ten years, I cannot speak to US requirements. Also the aftermarket companies have adopted the FJ and offer many OEM style parts and custom parts. And last, FJ's are very reliable if you find a good condition used unit you should expect many miles and years of operation only requiring normal wear and tear item repair and maintenance. There are a number of owners with multiple hundreds of thousand miles on the odometer. Just don't except the same fuel milage as a Prius.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Welcome!

Here are my thoughts...

It will take a super long time before parts get hard to get. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Toyota is still making all the parts. I would not let the FJ being discontinued stop you from buying one at all. If anything, it will retain its value really well!

Wranglers are nice, but not a Toyota. I would have a hard time choosing though...
The 4runners are great vehicles, but I like FJs more.

It will come down to your personal taste, needs, and wants, just don't let the FJs discontinuation stop you from getting one.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts
Buy with confidence

The FJ Cruiser Is still in production, just no longer imported into north America and Canada.

It is identical to the 4 runner, just a different body on the frame

There are over 215,000 FJ's in the US, and last year Toyota sold almost 75,000 4runners in the US alone.

Yep, spare parts for an FJ are going to be as hard to find as a donut at Tim Horton's.

Yet the FJ has one mortal enemy, iron oxide, aka rust. But there are many Tacoma and tundra owners driving around with new frames under their old bodys, courtesy of Mr. Toyota, because the FJ ain't the only rust bucket in the toyota army.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome... good luck getting the truck you want and that is right for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the US, all vehicle manufactures must have the capability to produce enough parts or contract with suppliers to maintain a part supply for 10 years. This shouldn't effect any prices on parts as they are also still being made overseas as well. Nothing to really worry about for at least a few years.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I wouldn't worry, Toyota isn't going anywhere.

Heck, my other rig is an Isuzu Trooper (which they stopped making in 2002, and Isuzu doesn't even operate here anymore as a passenger vehicle company) and the parts you might expect to need haven't been a problem.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,671 Posts
I would agree with all the above comments. Parts and knowledge will be around for longer than you'll need them. I had an old LC and still buying genuine parts when it was 20 years old no problem at all despite it being an odd ball model within limited markets

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
If you want a FJ get one! Parts wont be an issue as many others here have pointed out Good luck & happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
They didn't stop making the FJ cruiser they only stopped importing them to the USA.

THE FJ LIVES!!!!! Technically if you wanted to and had the money you could import a 2015 from some other country.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm gonna go against the grain here, sort of, and give you a little paternalistic advice. Hopefully it will stay with you as you head out into the world.

If you want to get affirmation that you should by an FJ Cruiser, you did good by asking people on this forum. However, if you want advice about investing precious time and money into something, don't only ask people whom you can pretty much be guaranteed on what they will say.

Having said that, I have an '07 that has been flawless. It is what it is and is amongst the very best at it.

Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts