Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but it seems no one on here questions reliability of a used rig..

The one I'm looking at is:

66000 kms (~41000miles)
Automatic
looks to be full load, gauges on the dash, heated seats, locking rear diff etc.
Black on black, with roof rack.
Aftermarket bumper with PIAA lights
looks to have an Airraid intake

Here are some pics:

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It def needs some tlc, and some cleaning but that's normal stuff. I want to get the truck inspected at a Toyota dealership, problem is it's at a Mitsubishi dealership right now (not sure why anyone would trade an fj for a mitsu..) So, I hope they let me get an independent inspection. I am trading my 05 Lancer Evo in, straight trade for the FJ since evo's are worth 10-15k more in Canada than USA.

So main question is, what should I really look at heavily on this truck, main thing I am worried about is the transmission and transfer case, usually pretty expensive parts, other than that it's all general maintenance stuff.

Are these engines timing chain or timing belt?

And finally, are there any common problems with these trucks that I should look at?

According to Toyota Canada, I should still have a year of warranty.

· Registered
3,491 Posts
buy mine...it is at dealership now and they gave it an extended Certified Pre owned warranty to 7 years or 100k miles. Link is in build thread

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buy mine...it is at dealership now and they gave it an extended Certified Pre owned warranty to 7 years or 100k miles. Link is in build thread
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not a fan of the color. I was thinking about going to the states and importing one, but I have been having a lot of trouble selling my Evo, and this is an easy way out, and a win win situation seeing as the dealership is already taking offers on my car.

· Registered
736 Posts
look for fender buldge, off road damage, what springs are in the front to take the wait of the arb if not upgraded check for shock damage in the front, see if the locker and a-trac work together let you know it's an older build date, slightly less problems, sorry to ask but what the asking price? the auto have far less problems than the manual.100,000 km powertrain coverage.check for bearing niose comman also this is most of the comman problems with this rig but frickin awesome trucks man enjoy your rig when you find one!!!!!!!!!1 its not loaded just for your info also does not look like it has the fjammer stereo and sub buying l power for ya

· Premium Member
9,633 Posts
Check the carfax for anything that may have been reported.
Check the inner fender aprons open the hood and look on this side of the hood hinges to see if the inner fenders have any bulges. Check the build date. Some early build dates had issues with the rear dif being weak. All of these issues can be searched on the forum
Having toyota look at it is a good idea. Ask toyota you are taking it to if they are aware of the inner fender bulge problem, if so they will know where to look. You still have the remainder of the factory drive train warranty for the major stuff. 60,000 drive train warranty. see if there are service records for oil changes ETC

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Look for an FJ owned by a poser, a mall cruiser, where the FJ hasn't been abused. Where no tree branch has ever touched. Where no dirt has ever been flung! In other words, look for a garage queen for near the price of one that has been offroad and thrashed.

I know of such a 10k mile 2007 FJ. Actually there are many out there if you look.

I am ashamed. I had high hopes of increased testosterone levels and wild 4x4ing, but no. There she sits in her heated garage. Waiting patiently to be driving to a movie or the grocery store, on MT tires, lifted, and ready for anyone who dares to swing a door (rock guards lol).

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
look for fender buldge, off road damage, what springs are in the front to take the wait of the arb if not upgraded check for shock damage in the front, see if the locker and a-trac work together let you know it's an older build date, slightly less problems, sorry to ask but what the asking price? the auto have far less problems than the manual.100,000 km powertrain coverage.check for bearing niose comman also this is most of the comman problems with this rig but frickin awesome trucks man enjoy your rig when you find one!!!!!!!!!1 its not loaded just for your info also does not look like it has the fjammer stereo and sub buying l power for ya
I don't know what it has for front suspension, I'll find out when I see the truck again tomorrow. What should it have? As for shock damage, your talking leaking strut, cracked/broken coil springs etc?

The asking price is $30500 CAD, but dealer cost is $24500 CAD and that's what I'm getting it for.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the carfax for anything that may have been reported.
Check the inner fender aprons open the hood and look on this side of the hood hinges to see if the inner fenders have any bulges. Check the build date. Some early build dates had issues with the rear dif being weak. All of these issues can be searched on the forum
Having toyota look at it is a good idea. Ask toyota you are taking it to if they are aware of the inner fender bulge problem, if so they will know where to look. You still have the remainder of the factory drive train warranty for the major stuff. 60,000 drive train warranty. see if there are service records for oil changes ETC
Awesome, thanks for the information!!

· Registered
736 Posts
thats on the high side of things still got mine almost all most as loaded wit 13,000 km on it for not much more 2 years ago you can probably do better IMO.as for the shock just like you said, leaks, broke ,spring sag, ect that arb is heavy and does a number on the suspension up front. but the price is not bad

· Premium Member
9,947 Posts
you can always tell if someone was hard on it by looking at the under carriage. Look at the lower control arm mounts!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
you can always tell if someone was hard on it by looking at the under carriage. Look at the lower control arm mounts!
LCA mounts looked straight and true to me. The truck looked straight, and in great shape, the undercarriage had no major scratches, gouges, or signs of rubbing in an off road situation etc, there was some surface rust here and there.

Stance from the side, the truck was parked on an incline, so tomorrow I will get it on level ground and see how it sits. The front shocks didn't look to be leaking, but there was so much road muck and grime on it, it was hard to tell.

What spring / shock combo should I be running with this bumper, and will I have to do the rear as well to level it? I also don't plan to off road this truck.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a good looking rig. Please buy it and get it off that mitsu lot!
Haha that's the plan, I also plan to leave them my Lancer Evolution 8 in the process, what a bad idea buying that car was... bought it for 30k, dumped 6k into a new transmission and transfer case after I toasted it at the track, selling/trading it in for what I owe before I break it again what a weak sack.

I'm now sticking with toyota, it's always done me well. I work for Toyota, and own an mr2 that has a lot of power and is completely reliable, I'm hoping the FJ treats me the same.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought it, as I was signing paperwork, my Evo sold as well, they turned around and sold my evo for 4 g's more than they paid me for it, I can't blame them though, that's business lol. Truck rides amazing, I figured it was going to be a rough ride, but its very smooth, quiet, and very comfortable, had 2 adults in the back seat they were comfy too. Time to buy goodies! FIRST thing is a car trailer to tow my MR2 around with :D

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats! With all the work that appears to be done to it, I'd be surprised the person wasn't a member here at some point.
After digging deeper, all those addons were installed by the dealership, and the person bought it with it all done already, so the bumper etc is all covered under warranty :D

The previous owner never offroaded the thing, I facebooked him (he left orig bill of sale in glove box) The guy doesn't look like the type to let it get dirty let alone drive through the forest.

· Registered
31 Posts
I did a search, but it seems no one on here questions reliability of a used rig..

The one I'm looking at is:

66000 kms (~41000miles)
Automatic
looks to be full load, gauges on the dash, heated seats, locking rear diff etc.
Black on black, with roof rack.
Aftermarket bumper with PIAA lights
looks to have an Airraid intake

Here are some pics: check the frame for rust rust rust .... mine was rusting new. i had it oiled at krown in canada. stoped it dead. short of that, its a toyota.. no worries.

check the frame for rust rust rust .... mine was rusting new. i had it oiled at krown in canada. stoped it dead. short of that, its a toyota.. no worries.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.