Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been researching FJs for a few days now and trying to decide on what to buy. Just found this site and am impressed with all the activity! Hopefully I can get some good tips to help me pick.

First off, my leading choice is a 2010 with a 6" lift and 35s. It is the only modified FJ I'm looking at. How does a lifted FJ ride, are they known for going through any particular parts like CVs, etc when lifted? This is my wifes DD and although she loves the look, I don't want to hear any complaints when it drives less than expected. (It is 5 hours away so I'm not able to easily test drive it)

Otherwise, I'm considering a used 2008 and two new 2010s, one is the TT edition, both with nice options and unmodified.

So 4 choices as of now:
2008 used (a few options)
2010 used with mods (and many options)
2010 new TT (many options)
2010 new (about $3500 less than the TT and nice options)

I'm not new to offroad vehicles by any means, just new to FJs, and completely new at that.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents..

Personally I like the look of a lifted FJ. But a 3" lift and 33s may be better for a daily driver instead of 6" and 35s. It will ride stiffer than stock for sure. Also, you are probably going to want to get underneath it and verify no damage. All depends on price.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! A 6" lift and 35s for the wife's DD. How tall is she? Not that there is something wrong with that, just might be cooler to look at than get in and out of. I have a 3" lift with 285/70/17s and that sits up pretty good. This is just my opinion. If you're going to mod consider what you are paying Toyota for that you are planning to take off and replace vs buying basic and putting on what you want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take $ .02 from anybody willing to donate! Thanks!

Good points. She is 5'4" and is part of why I'm thinking the 6" is overkill. I'm also concerned about parking height.

I'm also trying to find out if it has been regeared or not. I'll poke around a lot once I'm there but really don't want to make the drive unless I'm fairly sure I actually want to buy it.

I'm not worried about a stiff ride, more about wandering, unresponsive steering, excessive body roll, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Hey I have a 6" lift, 1.25 body lift, on 35's soon to be 37's.. Its my DD and My wife and daughters all drive it pretty regular while IM out of Town.. Wife is 5"8 and the tallest girl Is 5'4" They love driving it!

Congrate on the FJ ANd Have fun Modding!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
My fiancee is 5'4" and has to use the oh-sh*t handle to climb in. It used to be more of a pain in the butt however she's mastered the technique...and I have a 3" lift with 33's. Another 5" of lift would be ridiculous for her as a daily driver, or even me and I'm 6'4".

If I were you, I'd eliminate the already lifted one. Never know where it's been. I abuse mine :)

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome to the gang... good luck getting the rig that is right for you and your wife.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gisack:

Re: Used 2010 FJ. There is a several-page thread on that particular modified 2010 Army Green FJ. I don't know how to link the thread here, but it is located in the General Discussion and (currently) on Page 3.

It is titled "Does anyone know who owned this FJ?" or something like that. You should probably read it before making any commitments!

Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Hi all. I've been researching FJs for a few days now and trying to decide on what to buy. Just found this site and am impressed with all the activity! Hopefully I can get some good tips to help me pick.

First off, my leading choice is a 2010 with a 6" lift and 35s. It is the only modified FJ I'm looking at. How does a lifted FJ ride, are they known for going through any particular parts like CVs, etc when lifted? This is my wifes DD and although she loves the look, I don't want to hear any complaints when it drives less than expected. (It is 5 hours away so I'm not able to easily test drive it)

Otherwise, I'm considering a used 2008 and two new 2010s, one is the TT edition, both with nice options and unmodified.

So 4 choices as of now:
2008 used (a few options)
2010 used with mods (and many options)
2010 new TT (many options)
2010 new (about $3500 less than the TT and nice options)

I'm not new to offroad vehicles by any means, just new to FJs, and completely new at that.
Im still trying to figure out how it has a 6" lift. So far no one has made a true 6" lift for the 2010-11. Otherwise I would have had one. Know of one guy on this forum who worked a RC 6" lift on with modifications.

The daily driver issues would be the main drawback. The tires cost alot more and the fuel usage goes down. Im on 35's now and they "hum" so they may also be deal breaker.

Id say get the TT and have fun turning into your own rig. They look nice right out of the box...

Welcome to the insanity:lol:

:cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link!

I'm glad I wasn't all weird and tried to keep it a secret. Now I've got a bit more info on it. I was encouraged until I got to the body mount hack section. Off to search a little more...

6" lift.... It was a pure guess based on the stance in the pictures. The dealership hasn't been any help. I thought there were a bunch of manufacturers making 6" kits? Unless it only is called a 6" lift kit but nets 5" or somethign like that? If so, then I better stop callling them 35" tires. I'm less concerned with the numbers and more concerned with the driving performance (or lack of). Unless someone has the actual brand and data on the lift installed?

PS. I like the color of the rims, not sure about the style.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Good luck with purchase!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Im running a pro comp "5.5" lift and 1.25 body lift.. We have taking it on long trips/ Wife runs around it to the mall.. No issues as far as ride and handling. My Dad drove it and said it drive better than his PT Cruiser.. Bad comparison but.. Gives you some Idea... Yea the Hight of my beast does make it challenging for those vertically challenged.. But the wife, 4 daughters all rather drive it than their own cars so I guess it cant be that bad...
As far as figuring out what it has for lift and tires.. the tires will be simple to confirm.. just look at the side walls.. THe lift will be more challenging. If it does have a Pro comp/Fabtech/RC modifide lift kit that will be alittle easier.. all have added cross members.. with 3" lift you will have to look at the shocks and struts and compare to whats out on the market..
WIth all the Unknown.. YOUR BET WILL BE get a factory equipped TT or something and start from fresh and go your route best suited to your needs...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my hurry to ask about which of my choices to buy, I never really gave an intro. As I'm expecting to buy an FJ shortly, I should probably use this section as it is intended... as an intro.

I've been into vehicles since I turned 15. My first was a 1977 Jeep CJ5. Since then I've had 9 (I think) CJs, a few different AWD turbo cars and currently have a 1974 CJ5 with simple mods, a 1987 Samurai highly modified and I DD a 2007 GMC 1500. The wife has a 2005 Xterra that I'm going to be getting rid of to replace with either a 4 door Jeep Wrangler or FJ Cruiser. I'm leaning VERY heavily to the Fake Jeep over the Wrongler. (I'm a guy that could care less about brand. I just like what I like). I guess owning a Jeep, GMC, Nissan, Suzuki and trading one in on a Toyota sort of shows that. And I've had many more different brand in my past.

I'm leaning heavily towards the already modded FJ only because I already run out of time to work on my two rigs and I'm not sure if I'll actually mod the FJ if I don't buy it that way. That being said, I'm going to talk to a local dealer tomorrow about getting in a 2010 that I like and see what the price would be. Overall, the price difference is so small between a 2008 and new 2010 that I'm having trouble buying a stock 2008.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome~

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the help.

I decided to go with a new 2011. I just got back from the dealership and I've got my name on the list with money down on a 2011 TT.

They seem to think they'll have one for me in 30-45 days. There are some currently headed to port and allocations have been given to dealerships. The place I'm dealing with isn't getting one but they're working on a dealer trade to get one or put in for the next batch.

I have a printout of the sticker and the TT option price is $6,475. I was having trouble finding this info anywhere.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Congrats and Welcome! You seemed to be rushed into your choice...at one point your talking that you buy what you like and your first impression was the modded FJ with a 6" lift and 35"s. Then you go on to say if you don't buy it modded you may not have the time to do these mods yourself?

I have no problems driving my FJ with all the enhanced lift,big tires and mods....Yeah it burns more gas...but the ride is better than stock IMHO and If your first want was that lifted FJ...you may have second doubts on a stocker...especially if you were getting a great price and not having to pay for them mods...Best of Luck and post some pictures of your ride when you get it home. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts