Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 2008 FJC Trail Teams. I have NO experience/knowledge in the ways of buying a vehicle. I am talking by email with the internet sales manager. In my initial email I told him that I have found them for $32,000+ and that I would be willing to pay somewhere in the range of $28,000 to $30,000 but preferably closer to $28,000.

I have included his reply email below for you all to look at. He is asking $30,700 + tax and $21.00 title (saying that it retails for $32,628).

Was I shooting to low by asking $28,000?

I have read in other posting where people have paid 6% over invoice. How do I see invoice? When do I ask to see it? When do I offer 6% over invoice?

Is the $30,700 reasonable or should I continue fighting the good fight in light of todays poor SUV market?

I honestly don't know what to do from here. I got the fish to bite...now what?

I BIG THANKS in advance!

ON a 2008 fj 4x4 automatic trail team edition with equipment below I can sell for 30700+ tax and 21.00 title.These vehicles retail for 32628

Convenience Package: Remote Keyless$1,840
Cruise Control
Power Outside Mirror with Image Light
Rear Parking Sonar
Privacy Glass
Rear Wiper
Daytime Running Lights
White monotone Exterior Color
Blackout front/rear bumper end caps
front grille surround, exterior mirror
housings and exterior door handles
Trail Teams Bilstein Shock Absorbers
Cyclone Air Pre Cleaner, A-Trac
Multi-Information Display, Front/Rear
Skid Plate, Rock Rails, TRD Exhaust
System, Matte Black Finish TRD 16 inch
Alloy Wheels with BFG tires, Auxillary
Lights Bumper Mounted, Unique Shift
knob, Leather Steering Wheel w/audio
controls, White color keyed door trim & instrument trim, Spare Tire, AM/FM 6CD
9SP (Including 1 Rear Subwoofer and 2 in Headliner) w/MP3, 12V 100W & 115V 400W
outlets, Rear back door and glovebox
Trail Teams Badges, All Weather Mats/Headliner w/MP3, 12V 100W & 115V 400W
Cargo Mat (5 pc set)
FJ Roof Rack
Passenger Armrest

Mechanical
239HP 4.0L V6 VVT-i/ 5/A/T Full Size Spare-Door Mounted P265/70R 17" Black Steel Wheels Part-time 4X4 System Variable Gear Power Steering
Safety
1st & 2nd Rw Curtain Shield Airbags(CSA) 3-pt Seat Belts in All Seating Positions Driver & Front Pass Airbags Driver & Front Pass Side Impact Airbags ELR Dr Seat Belt/ALR & ELR Pass Seatblts ISO Fix Anchors in Outer Rear Seat Locations/Top Tether Anchors all Rear Locations/Tire Pressure Monitor System Star Safety System: Vehicle Stability Control(VSC),Traction Control,Anti-Lock Brake Systm(ABS) w/Electrnic Brake-force Distribution(EBD) & Brake Assist
Comfort/Convenience
4-Cup Holders/2-Bottle Holders 60/40 Split 2nd Row Seats w/Removable Bottom Cushion 8-way adjustable drivers seat AM/FM/CD 6-Speakers (2 in Headliner) Ext Color-Keyed Dash Panel Insert Fr Sunvisor w/Mirror(Passenger Side) and Flip-Down Side Visors Passenger Seat Back Pocket Power Windows & Door Locks Rr Defogger/Rr Cargo Tie-down Hooks Rubber-like Cabin & Cargo Area Flooring Tilt Urethane Steering Wheel Water-repellent Seats
Exterior
Black Bumpers (Silver Tone Highlights) Black overfenders Silver Tone Door Handles and Mirrors Skid Plates (Engine,Transfer Case, Fuel) Tow Hooks (2 Front/1 Rear)/Mudguards. White Roof

·
Registered
449 Posts
Can't hurt to offer $30,000.
Even if they dont' budge, that's a good price on an SE model.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
counter him one more time...if he doesn't budge, take his email to another dealer and ask them to beat his price. maybe another dealer can do $30,700 OTD (tax, tags and fees included). also, are you paying cash, financing, trading in, or combination of both? if you have a trade in, do some research and possibly get it appraised at carmax, if you have one near you. even if you negotiate the price of the FJ down to $29,000, the dealer can screw you over on your trade-in and you would end up paying more than his original quote. figure out all the financial aspects of this purchase...trade-in value of your current car (if applicable) from kbb, edmunds, or carmax; get a pre-approval from an online bank or your current bank if you plan to finance so you can get a baseline on the rates you might be borrowing at. surprisingly, if you finance, dealers will also work with you on your interest rates, especially if you have a rate in hand from another financial institution. just about everything is negotiable at the dealer...this can work for you and against you. if you aren't prudent and focus on one aspect of a sale, you may think you got a great deal, but in reality you probably got screwed from another part of the sale which kills any deal you thought you had on the purchase. i don't meant to scare you, just letting you know. if you pay in full for the vehicle, you have less to worry about in terms of getting screwed around. good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2008 FJC Trail Teams. I have NO experience/knowledge in the ways of buying a vehicle. I am talking by email with the internet sales manager. In my initial email I told him that I have found them for $32,000+ and that I would be willing to pay somewhere in the range of $28,000 to $30,000 but preferably closer to $28,000.

I have included his reply email below for you all to look at. He is asking $30,700 + tax and $21.00 title (saying that it retails for $32,628).

Was I shooting to low by asking $28,000?

I have read in other posting where people have paid 6% over invoice. How do I see invoice? When do I ask to see it? When do I offer 6% over invoice?

Is the $30,700 reasonable or should I continue fighting the good fight in light of todays poor SUV market?

I honestly don't know what to do from here. I got the fish to bite...now what?

I BIG THANKS in advance!

ON a 2008 fj 4x4 automatic trail team edition with equipment below I can sell for 30700+ tax and 21.00 title.These vehicles retail for 32628

Convenience Package: Remote Keyless$1,840
Cruise Control
Power Outside Mirror with Image Light
Rear Parking Sonar
Privacy Glass
Rear Wiper
Daytime Running Lights
White monotone Exterior Color
Blackout front/rear bumper end caps
front grille surround, exterior mirror
housings and exterior door handles
Trail Teams Bilstein Shock Absorbers
Cyclone Air Pre Cleaner, A-Trac
Multi-Information Display, Front/Rear
Skid Plate, Rock Rails, TRD Exhaust
System, Matte Black Finish TRD 16 inch
Alloy Wheels with BFG tires, Auxillary
Lights Bumper Mounted, Unique Shift
knob, Leather Steering Wheel w/audio
controls, White color keyed door trim & instrument trim, Spare Tire, AM/FM 6CD
9SP (Including 1 Rear Subwoofer and 2 in Headliner) w/MP3, 12V 100W & 115V 400W
outlets, Rear back door and glovebox
Trail Teams Badges, All Weather Mats/Headliner w/MP3, 12V 100W & 115V 400W
Cargo Mat (5 pc set)
FJ Roof Rack
Passenger Armrest

Mechanical
239HP 4.0L V6 VVT-i/ 5/A/T Full Size Spare-Door Mounted P265/70R 17" Black Steel Wheels Part-time 4X4 System Variable Gear Power Steering
Safety
1st & 2nd Rw Curtain Shield Airbags(CSA) 3-pt Seat Belts in All Seating Positions Driver & Front Pass Airbags Driver & Front Pass Side Impact Airbags ELR Dr Seat Belt/ALR & ELR Pass Seatblts ISO Fix Anchors in Outer Rear Seat Locations/Top Tether Anchors all Rear Locations/Tire Pressure Monitor System Star Safety System: Vehicle Stability Control(VSC),Traction Control,Anti-Lock Brake Systm(ABS) w/Electrnic Brake-force Distribution(EBD) & Brake Assist
Comfort/Convenience
4-Cup Holders/2-Bottle Holders 60/40 Split 2nd Row Seats w/Removable Bottom Cushion 8-way adjustable drivers seat AM/FM/CD 6-Speakers (2 in Headliner) Ext Color-Keyed Dash Panel Insert Fr Sunvisor w/Mirror(Passenger Side) and Flip-Down Side Visors Passenger Seat Back Pocket Power Windows & Door Locks Rr Defogger/Rr Cargo Tie-down Hooks Rubber-like Cabin & Cargo Area Flooring Tilt Urethane Steering Wheel Water-repellent Seats
Exterior
Black Bumpers (Silver Tone Highlights) Black overfenders Silver Tone Door Handles and Mirrors Skid Plates (Engine,Transfer Case, Fuel) Tow Hooks (2 Front/1 Rear)/Mudguards. White Roof
Carmax/Laurel Toyota is offering a TT w/auto for $28,384, new.

I paid $29K but I had them add a roof rack, armrest and rear tire cover. You should be able to get another $750 out of them.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
if you are able to do a "build" from a sight, it will/should show you the msrp price, and the dealer invoice..i bought mine for $100 over invoice...that was fair to me, and the dealership, so we all walked away..it didnt hurt that i walked into the stealership on a rainy day, with papers in hand, fully prepaird..basically told them that if they didnt want to take my money, someone would...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I paid $500 over invoice for mine with no problems. Special edition or not SUVs arent moving so someone will sell it for that. Tell them you can get the USAA or Costco $500 over price and make them match it. Use Edmunds or the pricing guide to figure out invoice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What I did was research on edmunds and you can build the exact model either you want or that the dealer has. One dealer faxed me by accident his inventory screen printout that had the dealer wholesale prices and they matched exactly. Then take the invoice base price (use edmunds) which is $20878 minus the destination fee ($715) and the advertising fee which is 3% ($626.24) and the holdback which Toyota rates at 2% ($474.50) and additional holdback if applicable (my dealer had an additional $142.) This gives you the base dealer cost of $18920.16. This is what the dealer financed the car for before options. Dealers don't buy cars they finance just like you. Now choose a reasonable profit to add back in, I used 5% or $998.12. Now go back and add the invoice price of your selected options and you will have a reasonable offer. My calculated offer price was $28,698 and I actually paid $28400. This price seemed to be as low as any of the dealers I talked to would go. I did all my nego by e-mail. This way you have some form of offer in writing. The phone offers I got were always low ball. It took about 3 weeks of emails, research, and waiting for my FJ to come in, but it was time well spent. There is also a good write up on edmunds about a reporter who worked undercover at 2 dealers and then wrote about how they do business. It is very informative. Dealers always want to get rid of inventory rather than order so an in stock item is usually fair game for nego. In Ga. you have a distributor who the dealer buys from, not toyota factory so you need to watch out for useless add-ons and bling and even "free towing/ road service" options. Also find out the option codes (ie SE, CQ, etc) so you can realistically compare prices from one dealer to another. I bought the 6-spd with SE and CQ only B/C i wnat to mod myself. Good luck you can PM if more questions arise. Also remember this is the end of the month and the dealers don't want to pay interest on thier inventory.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer is offering me $31,500 out the door (price includes tax, tag, title...everything). How am I doing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The dealer is offering me $31,500 out the door (price includes tax, tag, title...everything). How am I doing?
That is pretty good price with TTL. If it is what you want (not what you will settle for) and you think it is the best deal, go for it. You can see if they will go down to 31,400 and let you buy parts and accessories at wholesale in the parts department. Make sure they are not bending you over a barrel with financing or shafting you on a trade-in.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Sounds good I think. What is your tax,tag etc. ? Better yet what is the price of the truck before tax,tag etc.?

Mine with the same options was $28,014 before trade allowance and taxes etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts