Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am a total newbie to the FJ but fell in love with it after researching it.

Being on a budget (12K-15K) I see a lot out there with over 120K miles on it. Knowing the reliabilty of toyotas it still seems like a lot of money to me for a car with that many miles. US cars always started causing me trouble at around 95K (blown head gaskets, coolant hoses, transmissions..)

I guess my question is, what is there to expect or to look out for when buying a FJ with more than 100K miles. I read here that that 06/07 had issues with the rear end but, thats pretty much all i found so far. So I propably would prefer a 08 FJ.

If you have any ideas I need to look for and tell me whats your opinion about high milage used FJs, I appreciate it.

:rocker:

· Premium Member
296 Posts
My first Toyota was a pickup (before they had more than one pickup, it was just the Toyota pickup). Before that I'd driven mostly Fords. Around 100k miles the pickup started to use oil. Just about every one of my previous cars had not only started using oil around 100k, but most needed an overhaul not long after that, so it didn't strike me as odd that it was using oil. Then Toyota issued a recall or TSB or something saying the rings had been installed incorrectly, and they fixed it. (Apparently every Ford I'd ever owned needed to be recalled.) I sold that truck at around 200k miles, it never used oil again. The rear differential was starting to make noise but that was about it. (I sold it to a mechanic who was looking for a fixer-upper.)

I sold my 2008 at around 130k miles. It was a manual transmission and had the throwout bearing fixed under warranty, that never came back and it had no other major problems. I would have driven it to 200k miles too if Toyota hadn't discontinued the FJ. I panicked and got a 2014 while I still could.

My point is, I remember having the same expectations you have. It's a side effect of not owning Toyotas. Maybe the average Toyota starts having problems like that around 200k miles? Maybe?

· Registered
1,728 Posts
A lot depends on the owner: did they maintain it? Beat it?

If its a high mileage modded or heavily modded I would stay away. If its a stock FJ that was a mall crawler, the better.

Reactions: Muvovr

· Registered
22 Posts
Hey man, I just bought my first FJ last week

it has 115k on it, it's in amazing condition and was very well maintained. It drives like brand new, and I have taken it this week on some amazing hills/terrain and its my new love.

Try to check carfax, my guy used dealer to do all maintenance, so it showed up every time. Its really based on how well he took care of it. If you get it and it looks good, buy it.. 120k is nothing for an FJ. Try to find manufacture date and do some research on rear end issues.. other then that hope it works out.. I absolutely love mine.

· Premium Member
1,452 Posts
My first Toyota was a pickup (before they had more than one pickup, it was just the Toyota pickup). Before that I'd driven mostly Fords. Around 100k miles the pickup started to use oil. Just about every one of my previous cars had not only started using oil around 100k, but most needed an overhaul not long after that, so it didn't strike me as odd that it was using oil. Then Toyota issued a recall or TSB or something saying the rings had been installed incorrectly, and they fixed it. (Apparently every Ford I'd ever owned needed to be recalled.) I sold that truck at around 200k miles, it never used oil again. The rear differential was starting to make noise but that was about it. (I sold it to a mechanic who was looking for a fixer-upper.)

I sold my 2008 at around 130k miles. It was a manual transmission and had the throwout bearing fixed under warranty, that never came back and it had no other major problems. I would have driven it to 200k miles too if Toyota hadn't discontinued the FJ. I panicked and got a 2014 while I still could.

My point is, I remember having the same expectations you have. It's a side effect of not owning Toyotas. Maybe the average Toyota starts having problems like that around 200k miles? Maybe?
Sold my 2007 with 125K after 5 years in 2012.
It had a transmission exchange for shuttering at 103K and a wheel bearing at 78K.
The transmission exchange for a rebuilt cost $2800, Toyota paid $1000 because the failure occurred at 103K and I had the 100K warranty.
I had changed the fluid at 98K, in advance of the 100K interval prescribed by OEM.
Wheel bearing was about $500.
The compression switches on top of the transaxle shifter for the 4x4 had corrosion and needed to be replaced, about $700, mostly labor.
One door panel on the drivers side developed a crack in the arm rest.
No other issues, engine or otherwise!
No fender buckles or rear end issues the were problematic in the early models.
I know the new owner and it has had zero issues since 2012, but the miles are less than 150K.
Good luck….gm

· Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Like others have said buy it from someone who has taken care of it preferably the first owner. Next put the truck up on a lift and inspect for leaks, rust and trail damage. Look for a mall crawler. LOL

· Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Go underneath and check the frame for dent etc (trail damage) A lot a people offroad the hell out of them and then turn them back to stock before selling them. The truck may look stock but the frame will tell you if its abused or not. See if they have some sort of maint. log or something. I have seen some very high mileage Fjs that are still going strong 300K plus so if its taken care of it will go a long way :)

· Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Please check the CV Boots for rips and leakage.
Also check the 4 x 4 operation, if so equipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.