Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know were I can get speakers for the C pillars? I found the speaker covers to replace the blank ones but i cant find stock speakers.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Does anyone know were I can get speakers for the C pillars? I found the speaker covers to replace the blank ones but i cant find stock speakers.
THe c pillar is the wide one with no speakers.
I believe you are referring to the rear d-pillar. I have seen people make threads on them in here. The stock rear speakers SUCK. They sound like there are headphone playing really loud back there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can buy speakers specifically made for the FJ D pillars is here:

Bazooka TMS-SA-FJ (Factory Speaker Upgrade) (tmssafj), Car Speakers, 3-1, 2" Speakers - Sonic Electronix

These are Bazooka 3.5" speakers. However, they are very expensive and you can mount other 3.5" speakers in the FJ that are good but cost less. I purchased my speakers from Crutchfield (Phone: 1-800-555-8305 Web: Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield!). They also supplied the Toyota plugs for free. All I had to do was splice the Toyota plugs to speakers and plug them in to the plugs that are in the D pillars. The Crutchfield folks are very helpful and knowledgeable and I suggest you give them a call. They can fix you up with all you need.

My stereo sounds a lot better with the D pillar speakers installed. My FJ did not have D pillar speakers when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Are you running the Bazooka's with factory head unit? Ron

You can buy speakers specifically made for the FJ D pillars is here:

Bazooka TMS-SA-FJ (Factory Speaker Upgrade) (tmssafj), Car Speakers, 3-1, 2" Speakers - Sonic Electronix

These are Bazooka 3.5" speakers. However, they are very expensive and you can mount other 3.5" speakers in the FJ that are good but cost less. I purchased my speakers from Crutchfield (Phone: 1-800-555-8305 Web: Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield!). They also supplied the Toyota plugs for free. All I had to do was splice the Toyota plugs to speakers and plug them in to the plugs that are in the D pillars. The Crutchfield folks are very helpful and knowledgeable and I suggest you give them a call. They can fix you up with all you need.

My stereo sounds a lot better with the D pillar speakers installed. My FJ did not have D pillar speakers when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Are you running that on that factory head and what is the sensitivity? We need replacements that will run in out limited power.. Ron

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
OK this is interesting because I was frigging with my head unit the other day and rolled the fader to the rear and you are right they do sound like headphones.....really really crappy headphones....So any 3.5 inch will fit.....What sensitivity and resistance is best for use with the stock FJammer?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Precisely.. We need a replacement that as a sensitivity good enough to not overload the head unit.. Ron

OK this is interesting because I was frigging with my head unit the other day and rolled the fader to the rear and you are right they do sound like headphones.....really really crappy headphones....So any 3.5 inch will fit.....What sensitivity and resistance is best for use with the stock FJammer?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
By reading the the specs on the Bazooka I guess we are looking for 4ohms impedence..Power handling is not a big deal since our head unit doesn't generate big power. I doubt the FJammer puts out anymore than 40watts. I guess speaker depth(height) would be important also....hmmm...I see the kickers are under $50....I could handle that....Any improvement would be good.

The Rockford Fosgate P132c looks like a decent deal.... specs match up well with the Bazooka that says it is an "official" FJ upgrade

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Has anyone else replaced the rears and running them off the FJammer??

I am no audiophile and I like the FJammer unit but replacing the speakers sounds like a plan. I know most 6x9s will fit the doors with an adapter plate but what have you replaced the rears with??????

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you can install most 3.5" speakers in rear pillar. Yes the stock stereo will push them. May not sound great, but better than the 2" ones you got in there now probably.

I installed polk 4" db401 speakers in the rear pillar. They were too big to install by screwing directly into sheet metal. I cut holes in the blank covers and attached to covers like in this page.

Tonka: Want to know how to replace your factory FJ Speakers? - Savannah, Georgia

My speakers came with grills, so the screws are covered making it look a little nicer. I am running them off of the regular stock stereo(not fjammer). They don't sound bad. It was driving me crazy having all the sound upfront, sounds more balanced out now.

I am going to replace the front door/dash in a couple months and install a new deck. When I do, I will re-install the 4" in the rear by creating a mount/spacer to screw them directly to sheet metal and put factory cover will grills in pillar.

Also got the speaker harnesses from crutchfield, made install a snap. Install was like 10 min.

I am into home audio, but not so much car audio. So I am not looking to put a lot of time and money into a really good sounding system, just something that sounds better than factory and can be heard over road noise.

·
Registered
163 Posts

4 inch polks in rear pillar.

·
Registered
790 Posts
yup all fjs have the spearker harness there. Tough to get to but they are there. I am personally going to mount mine on the sides of the rear seat and unplug the useless headliner ones.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,837 Posts
Although it sounds like you were referring to "D" pillar speakers, you can also mount "C Pillar Speakers" into the cosmetic indentation just about shoulder height above the back seats. At that time I had the mounts custom made, but you can now find them on-line for much cheaper. I installed a set of two ways there and it really rounded out the sound of the cabin. I had the tweeters mounted on the wall pane to provide better separation. Installed are a pair of Boston Acoustics Z's

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
This thread just reminded me that I need to order some replacements for the rear . . . so, therefore, I deem this thread to be "worthy". :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts