Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my second FJ. My 2007 was great and I had no issues with it so when a hail storm destroyed it, I purchased an identical 2010. I have had a few issues with it. First, the rear cabin leaked terribly! Getting them to fix it correctly was like pulling teeth. It was only after I threatened to just give it back to them did they finally remove it and seal the leak properly (roof rack issue). My second issue is paint color. It looks like the front piece just above the grill has been repainted. It is a distinctively different yellow color. Small issue but it annoys me.

My biggest gripe though is cabin noise. Does anyone else have this problem? It sounds like a wind tunnel inside the car when the windows are up. It is very noticeable even at lower speeds. I complained to the dealer and I get your typical "you're nuts" type of answer and they tell me it is normal. My 2007 did NOT sound like this. I have also noticed considerable engine noise in the cabin. It sounds like the engine makes a noticeable tap tap tap noise. I have to turn the radio on to drown out these noises.

One thing I do like about the 2010 over the 2007...the side sun visor! Finally! The front sun visors were completely worthless for side shading.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Did your 2007 have a roof rack too? These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick; wind noise and road noise is inevitable and gets way worse when you put roof racks, bumpers, lifts, more aggressive tires and etc. on them. My 2007 is way noisy but I knew that would happen when I modified it. I just turn up the stereo. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2007 did have a factory installed roof rack and the 2010 has the same factory installed rack. My 2010 has not been modified at all, it is the way it came from the factory, including the Dunlop tires. The primary noise comes from the drivers side window. I do not feel any air leaks but it sounds like whistling wind in my ear pretty much at any speed. I think if my 2007 was the same way I would have noticed it so I am a little baffled.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
The primary noise comes from the drivers side window. I do not feel any air leaks but it sounds like whistling wind in my ear pretty much at any speed. I think if my 2007 was the same way I would have noticed it so I am a little baffled.
Interesting. When I was shopping for my FJ, the first couple of ones I test drove (used, not new) sounded the same as you describe, however the 2007 model I purchased doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MilesofTexas, thanks for that input. I was thinking it was just me. I am positive my 2007 did not have this noise but this 2010 is driving me nuts. I thought maybe my hearing had just become extremely sensitive. Once you notice it too...well, you know how that goes, you just dwell on it. I guess I will have to get some louder tunes!

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Do you have the original factory windshield?

DEWPFO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DEWFPO, yes, the original windshield is there as well. Everything is original as it came from the factory, no modifications have been made at all. There are running boards that were on it when I took delivery of it. I am the first owner, there was only 100 miles or less on it when I got it. I guess it is possible the windshield could have been damaged and replaced without my knowledge. I am starting to wonder if the vehicle did not have some front damage which could account for the different paint color on the front of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
The reason I asked is because some have had their windshields replaced and the job was not done correctly leading to wind noise and even water leaks at speed.

Can you find a name on the glass? SHould be in one of the 4 corners of the glass.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
671 Posts
X2 on the windshield idea. Mine was factory and it whistled as well. It cracked and I had to get a new one put in and now the noise is gone.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Agree with DEWFPO on the windshield although our replacement on our '7 was done well and we had no problems with it.
As far as noise in the cabin, our '11 sounds about like our '7...noisiest in the cargo area. The engine tap tap? is mild, but noticeable at idle with no other sounds around(wind, traffic, etc.). It is different than the engine noise of our '7, but maybe it is the revised engine, roller tappets?. Anyway, I have heard it in other '10 and '11 FJs.
Your mismatched paint in the front is a possible concern. Ours had about 7 miles on it when I test drove it, was freshly washed for us and all the panels matched from multiple angles. We are a little anal about vehicle inspection and thorough test drives...to the point of annoying several salespeople over the years. We always go on the Interstate as well as around town, on rough roads and off pavement. If the salesman refuses to allow this we leave.
Did you notice the cabin noise on your test drive? or was it quiet on your test drive and then get noisier later.
I've never driven or ridden in an FJ(brick)that was quiet. Quieter than a Jeep, but still not quiet.

Yes, the side visor is a great additon as is the optional backup camera.

Going back to 2002, concentrating on little noises started to take away from all the positives of our Subaru turbos: WRXs, Legacy GT and Foresters. I used to listen to them and started to listen for them. Our 2010 XT is very well built in general and a blast to drive, but has some 'little quirks'. Wind noise was there from the test drive and there was also some road noise. This was true of multiple units we drove and was mentioned in magazine/on line reviews. We've learned to ignore the noises and it's worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did check the windshield and it says TOYOTA lamisil or something like that. It also has the PermaVIN numbers etched on it (an option I did not want but it was already on the car).

I bought this vehicle sight unseen pretty much. Last May a huge hail storm rolled through Oklahoma City, softball sized hail. There was $12,000 damage on the Toyota and over $300,000 on the house alone! I loved the 2007 so much so I just went to the dealer and they located this yellow one for me in Paris Texas and it was shipped to OKC. They must have made some modifications because I am certain my 2007 was much quieter on the inside than the 2010.

The wind noise that I hear sounds like it is coming from the drivers side window. It literally sounds like someone is taking a blower from an air compressor and just holding it to the window. It gets louder of course, the faster you are going.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know this may sound obvious, but is the driver side window closing all the way? Weather stripping around the window frame? Also, we had a Honda and a Subie with driver side wind noise and the dealer replaced the weather stripping around the door and significantly reduced the noise. The weather stripping has been misinstalled and had been crimped. This was also allowing a small amount of air to come in which was most noticeable on nasty, windy days when driving at just the 'wrong' angle. Toyota isn't the only one that has imperfect quality control.

We get lots of wind where we live steady 30mph and gusts to 60+ are common. Combine that with driving 70 or 80 on the Interstate and...talk about wind noise!

Also, there are threads/post on noise reduction. This thread has some info. on perceived sound reduction in the rear cargo area starting with the second post.
fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not as annoyed from cargo area noise as I am from the in-door wind noise from the mirror.

But if you have a problem with the FJ, never drive a Jeep Wrangler, especially not a soft top. :D

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
I have all the big noise makers -- tube front bumper, lift, tires, lights, roof rack -- and it doesn't make any noise I'd complain about. There's a soft drone, but, hell, it's a truck. I just turn up the radio.

Ever drive a lowered Subaru STI? You can literally feel every crack in the road, and the engine roars and whines through the thinly deadened firewall and floorboards.

The FJ is like driving a Mercedes in comparison. :clap:

·
Registered
21 Posts
take another 2010 for a ride and listen for the same noise. if it isn't there than grab the service manager. my 2010, with a roof rack, has some road noise and wind noise, but nothing out of the ordinary. the paint mismatch and roof leak could point to in transit damage which may also cause the excessive wind noise.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a 2010 and the only noise I noticed above the hum of my Mickey's was the roof rack when I had that installed a few weeks after taking delivery of the FJ. I don't hear that anymore though. Just what I'd call normal road noise. Def no whistling around the driver window area.

I'd suggest running some tests using electrical tape. Run it around the windshield frame to smooth out the edges. Also around the driver window. You might find the location of the sound, which is probably not inherent in the 2010 FJ, but rather something not quite seated down all the way or air infiltrating some trim. Once you locate it, you may be able to fix it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
By the way, I notice a minor paint variance between the steel fender color and the front trim around the headlight and above the grill. I wouldn't get too worried about that. The paint put on the metal vs. the plastic may be different and might have a slight color difference. Probably not repainted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts