Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having scoured threads for CAI systems, the function of filters has paltry mention. I am not seeking increased power that likely I wouldn't notice anyway. An increase would be nice and appreciated, but its essence of diminishing particulate infiltration is paramount to me. Even so, might as well go for the (theoretical) efficiency increase of a boxed system over a short ram air setup. Also am eyeing the Borla cat-back for concurrent installation. HP & Raptor tuners will be researched separately. I don't seek a loud exhaust, and would like to avoid highway drone. Borla might not be the best choice. I don't know. Which CAI filters most effectively, and which exhaust rigging best mates to it? Which plays best on an '07 manual 4WD? The options are mind numbing. Reading about the all is eye burning. Recommendation appreciated.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go Snorkel and get a real pre-filter! The air outside the FJ will be cooler than anything in the engine bay, too! :D

I would be genuinely surprised if anyone had any kind of real data on how well various CAI options filtered. Really, it depends on what filter you put on the end of it, right? The TRD CAI accepts regular old intake air filters; I can put a wal-mart paper filter in there, or a K&N cotton/oil filter.

If you want to have control over it, I guess I'd say go with a CAI that accepts a common, standardized kind of air filter, so that you have the option to try out different filters as you like.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,915 Posts
I have a TRD CAI with the included oiled filter and I can honestly say, DONT get it! I’ve had numerous problems with it resulting from poor design. It does function well as a filter which I clean and replace. But with so many other choices of CAI, go that way. If you are considering a Raptor tune (highly recommended!!!) you will need a CAI.
As for exhaust I have been extremely pleased with my Dirty Deeds stainless steel BAM catback for both performance and sound. Keith, the owner and awesome guy, will custom tune it for sound - I requested it be more subtle, elegant vs loud gurgling drone and absolutely love it - years later my heartbeat still quickens when I hear it, and it has never made anyone glare at me when I throttle...quite the opposite 😍

·
Premium Member
11,804 Posts
Only snorkel is true CAI as shown here and as per my personal experience Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line
No.

The factory intake is CAI, so is TRD, so is K&N, so is Volant....etc. All access air from outside the engine bay.

The only thing a snorkel will give is:
It pulls in cleaner air
It may flow a few more CFM but it can be argued that those are negated with the 3 additional bends/corners of the snorkel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
They also draw relatively cooler air than the heated engine bay that the CAI draws from and the test shows that conclusively.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,915 Posts
So a lot like a CAI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Indeed it is. On 07-09 models the biggest difference is no bend in the pipe - it’s a straight path from airbox to throttle body, and box is located right at the fender. On 10-14 OE intakes are very similar to the TRD CAI, so almost a pointless upgrade.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Indeed it is. On 07-09 models the biggest difference is no bend in the pipe - it’s a straight path from airbox to throttle body, and box is located right at the fender. On 10-14 OE intakes are very similar to the TRD CAI, so almost a pointless upgrade.
Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so there’d be marginal if any HP improvement with a CAI then; got it. I still want to replace the stock filter to better screen the air. That is my primary if not sole objective. From research, that probably means a large, cone-shaped, dry unit. If housed in a plastic box with some scant thermal insulation, that seems to me to be a CAI, de facto. The location on the ‘07 greatly helps achieve that as well. Essentially, it is a mostly straight run from the fender well to the engine intake where an aux battery would go. Still, which of the many dry cone aftermarket “systems” is best at filtering air? Will consider all recommendations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The plan is to install an intake and cat-back concurrently just before the Raptor tune At the same shop, hopefully next month, thus the fervent investigation and solicitation For specific brands.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Run a cleanable stock filter, like K&N or if you prefer non-oiled for fear of MAF contamination, which I agree with on turbo cars, run a dry AFE filter. I run a K&N oiled filter, works well for the past 10k.

Unless you’re dead set on paying to run a cone for some reason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,915 Posts
@Tortion Tool The stock 07 air pipe does make a rather significant bend going from fender to box and then to throttle body, plus the airbox sits very close to the engine so picks up heat....hence the design of the TRD CAI (and others). While a CAI by itself does not reap “significant” hp gain by itself, in combination with a catback it does, and even more gain when the Raptor is added and why Tim said it needs to be there. I know this from experience as I did my 07 in exactly that order, so was able to feel each improvement from the drivers seat. But if you plan to keep stock intake you may have my gently used K&N oiled filter, currently sitting in storage (just pay shipping). The only trick with it is to not over oil - very light spray. And carry a can of MAF cleaner to quickly fix your problem if you do overspray - simple! I’ve never had a problem now that I learned the technique.

Did you decide on an exhaust?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts