Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just completed a 6-day desert expedition from SOCAL through Arizona in my 2014 TTUE. I utilized a James Baroud Evo RTT mounted to the OEM rack for my family. Although I could technically fit my family of 4 in the RTT, I also used a foldable cot to make an interior cab sleeping platform for myself.

We covered around 1200 miles. It was mostly highway driving, but we traveled offroad when possible. We camped near the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon before traveling through Flagstaff, Sedona, Phoenix, and Tucson. I learned some interesting things along the way:

1. My TTUE averaged over 17 MPG even with the RTT mounted, periods of high wind, and driving speeds of over 70 mph. Not bad compared to my last Jeep Wrangler that got less than 13 mpg on a similar trip without a tent.
2. The completely stock FJ rides and drives very well. My wife even admitted it was pretty nice compared to the 2 Wranglers and the one Cherokee we have owned.
3. The JB RTT is very comfortable and convenient for sleeping. The view is unbeatable. There is some body roll caused by restless pre-teen sleepers and the ladder ascent/descent in the darkness is less than ideal for kids. However, they enjoyed the tent as much or more than many hotel rooms
4. The stock roof rack is very adequate for the RTT even though it does sit higher than I would like. You have to provide a flat plane for the RTT by using crossbars.
5. The wind was brutal at times, but I had no major issues on the highway during this trip or the long trip I took to Zion and Yellowstone last year. The RTT traveled well but added some wind noise. I do have a Baja Basket insert with a wind deflector that seems to help prevent whistling, etc...
6. Offroad, I did experience some movement of the RTT as I was descending to my campsite on the Colorado River via a washboard BIA road in Grand Canyon West. I had to re-center and tighten the RTT clamps at the bottom of the trail. I believe the bumps, washes, and creek crossings acted with gravity to cause a one inch shift of the tent during the 20 mile drive from pavement down to the river. I should have checked the clamps better at the start of my trip or before my descent into the canyon. (note slight off-center in below picture).

I added a few "Arizona pinstripes" to the sides while driving through dry washes, but otherwise, my FJ came through the trip unscathed.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Watch this Top Gear episode that my son found. We enjoyed watching it at the end of our trip since it covered a similar route. It is a bit staged, contrived, and silly, but it was entertaining nonetheless. The stock TTUE FJ performs well against a Land Rover LR4 costing twice as much and a modified 500 hp Jeep "AEV Brute" costing more than 3x as much. The other 2 had professional rally drivers and the FJ driver didn't really know how to use all the TTUE features and still held his own.

https://youtu.be/0gPc6pqBRqc

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a great trip. Like that RTT, would look really neat on a closer to the roof fitment but works well on the OE rack.
A lower profile would be nice, but I spent the cabbage on the tent instead of the rack. It was a good choice.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sedona is awesome, we were there Aug 11,12 & 13, just missed you.

Did you do any trails there?
Not in Sedona proper. We went to Slide Rock with the kids instead. Did some trails in Flag, Phoenix, and Tucson area. Unfortunately, we had spotty ATT service the whole time and I did not save any routes before leaving home. We actually made it to the Bulldog Trailhead in Salt River Canyon, but were told by the duty ranger that we needed a permit that takes days to get from the forestry service. My Garmin automotove GPS was good for known POI's but not so much for trails. We got some good no-name trails and washes in though.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Broken Arrow and Schnebly trails are right out of town and AAA scenic, with some steps and exposures.

Sedona is one of my favorite trips, excellent trails, food and accommodations right in the middle of it all. Definitely stay out of the tourist commercial block.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broken Arrow and Schnebly trails are right out of town and AAA scenic, with some steps and exposures.

Sedona is one of my favorite trips, excellent trails, food and accommodations right in the middle of it all. Definitely stay out of the tourist commercial block.
Thanks,
I will have to check those out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts