Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed that a few members are having problems with their STAUN Tire deflators. I thought this would be a good chance to make a “How-To” thread on how to properly make the calibrations of your Staun’s.

First off, I just used my Spare on the back of the vehicle to do my Calibrations. You don’t need to put them on all four of your tires.

Items that you will need:

1. Air Compressor
2. Staun Tire Deflators
3. Patience :)

Calibrating

1. Deflate your Spare to the “DESIRED” air pressure. I set mine to 20psi. This is just about right for most anything you will encounter, unless your running bead locks and are running Rock Crawling trails.

2. With the lock ring and adjusting cap wound down, screw your deflator on the spare tire.

3. Loosen the cap (Anticlockwise) until deflation “Pin” pops open, then immediately tighten the cap to a position where the Air stops exhausting.

4. Turn the locking ring up to the adjusting cap and tighten.

5. Air up the spare about 5 psi over the desired set pressure, then re-install your deflator. It will probably NOT start deflating, this is normal. Just pull up slightly on the deflation “Pin” and it will start the exhausting process.

6. When the air stops, remove the deflator and check your tire pressure, it should be exactly the correct PSI.

7. Repeat the process with the other three deflators. I have all mine set perfectly for 20 psi. Once they are set, you don’t ever have to mess with them again, unless you want to change air pressure.

I hope this will help those that have the Staun Deflators, I love mine, very well built and high quality along with being a very precise instrument for airing down your tires. Good luck, if you have any problems just pm me. :D

TIP: You may want to add a drop of lock tight to the locking ring so it dosen't get loose on you.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Awesome thread! Thanks.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I had noticed some members having a hard time "setting" their's I thought this thread may help. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Great thread, I was just about to throw those things in the trash.

Thanks for clearing everything up!:rocker::bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
you only put these on to deflate and then put them back in the pouch.....correct?

I guess I need a way to air up first before I worry about airing down...LMAO

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I didn't have any problem w/mine, but the additional explanation is certainly useful.

I set them after I got them and haven't touched them since. The instructions that came with them seemed clear to me. The only "trick" is to use smaller tire (if you have one) to use for setting them in order to reduce the wait time for deflation. I used one of my motorcycle trailer tires. It also helps to have a CO2 tank to make refilling the tire quicker.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for clearing everything up!:rocker::bigthumb:
Don't throw them away, they work AWESOME!....just take your time, if you have any problems, PM me. :)

you only put these on to deflate and then put them back in the pouch.....correct?

I guess I need a way to air up first before I worry about airing down...LMAO
Yes, they are used to deflate your tires. It would help if you had a way to re-inflate after coming off the trail, you don't want to ruin your tires by running them with low presure on the highway. :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
If you still want to throw them out, send me a PM. I'll take them off your hands and will pay for the shipping too! ;)

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Mike,

Thanks!!!!!

dale

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Thanks for the post Mike. I've missed this one. I'll try it again when I get the chance. I've done this similar technic, but it seems work on one tire and not the other. I don't know if it's related to specific tire valve stems or something else. Thanks for the PM reminder. :)

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
be careful about throwing them in your pocket too, enough rattling and they'll come lose and then you have to do it all over again.
They shouldn't, make sure you have the locking ring "tight", then it shouldn't be a problem with them unscrewing. :bigthumb:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Mike,

Your instructions are sooooo much clearer than the ones that came with...

BTW, we're in Moab making tire tracks that even you and uphill will be able to follow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you at the Summit! Travel safely!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Mike,

Your instructions are sooooo much clearer than the ones that came with...
Ditto! Thanks!

:bigthumb:

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your Welcome guys, glad I could help :)

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts