Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Calico 2/17-2/18 Wheelin' & Clean Up

5K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  jeshua 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
12/12 Update

I met with Discovery Trails and BLM today to identify and determine the approved staging area, roll off dumpster location, specific trails and the areas that require our volunteer time and energy.

The attached map below identifies two of the three areas that need attention, including Doran, Odessa, and Mule Canyon. The third area which is not shown is Silver Bow Mine Road and it's west of Bismarck Canyon. Only the letters on the map mentioned below identify areas of concern for this clean up and the areas that have a completed enviromental impact report for our effort. This has been completed.

Staging Area
(A) on the west side of the trail

Roll off Dumpster
(A) Across from staging area at base of Mule Canyon

Area #1 Mule Canyon
(A-F) and (I-M)

Area #2 Odessa and Bismarck Canyon
(Q-U)

Area #3 Silver Bow Mine Road

Discovery Trails has offered to provide trash bags and operate their 14' dump truck to remove any filled trash bags or items recovered at the side of the accessible trails back to the roll off dumpster at staging. Areas requiring 4wd access, we will need to transport the bags and items to an accessible area for him to remove the trash. It's their belief that we will only need one roll off dumpster.

Discovery Trails will also arrange to have (2) uniformed San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies and a BLM ranger patrol our areas on quads and in a marked 4wd patrol vehicle in the shooting areas to ensure our safety. They are also E.M.T.'s and will be available in case we needs a band-aid.

This clean up effort so far has had great response from several land cruiser, TTORA, jeep, and SBNF adopt-a-trail members alike. I believe that the amount of participation mentioned will make a difference cleaning up an area that has been considered for closure because of the on-going abuse.

A raffle was considered to offset some of the costs and to give back to Discovery Trails. Is there any interest?

http://www.calicotown.com/ohv/images/topomap.jpg

I welcome any comments, questions, or concerns for this joint volunteer effort.

Mark

#4 · (Edited)
Sponsers so far

Update
Some great companies have stepped up with donations for our raffle. So far we have the following companies.

Some more vendors added to the list!!!

Vendors, Thank you for your donations. Profits from the raffle will be donated to Discovery trails who is donating supplies and a dump truck to remove trash & the Rubicon Trail Fund.

#5 ·
Ron,

Coordinating this raffle has been more fun while yappin' with vendors that we have supported over the years, and some new ones, than arranging and pushing the paperwork with BLM. So far, we have alot of support and quite a bit more on the back burner. Great Job and props to you for stepping in and helping out where it was needed. Nothing like volunteering for a great cause, huh? Thanks, Dude!

Mark

#6 ·
Ron,

Coordinating this raffle has been more fun while yappin' with vendors that we have supported over the years, and some new ones, than arranging and pushing the paperwork with BLM. So far, we have alot of support and quite a bit more on the back burner. Great Job and props to you for stepping in and helping out where it was needed. Nothing like volunteering for a great cause, huh? Thanks, Dude!

Mark
Yeah, its been great. Gives me an excuse to call some of my friends at these companies. Hopefully we get a good turnout. Calico really needs a lot of cleaning.

#8 ·
This should be a great opportunity for everyone to meet the faces of the forum folks and a whole lot of other off-road fanatics, check out a great area for wheeling, and really make a difference in the maintenance and preservation of an area that has been abused and neglected for a while.

Anyone willing to come is sure to have a fantastic time, and do a good deed as well - I hope everyone within reasonable driving distance will try to commit to this weekend - your presence and participation will be greatly appreciated by the BLM and your fellow wheelers...:rocker::clap::cheers:

#9 ·
#11 ·
Good to see a couple of people from this forum are going to show up.

More vendors joining up!!!

Mark's Offroad​

#14 · (Edited)
Come on FJ owners, help keep YOUR trails Clean!!!
More vendors joining up!!!

Sidekick offroad Maps & Videos​

#16 ·
Just talked to Brian of Swayaway and they are on board with the Cleanup!!!
Pat of Revtek has also confirmed a cool raffle prize!!!

#17 ·
All Pro will be out with the Adventure4x4.Net crew helping with the cleanup, we will also be donating for the Raffle:

FJ Cruiser H.D. Rear Lower Links $349 value
FJ Cruiser Front H.D. Skid Plate $199 value
79-95 Solid Axle Hy-Steer kit $399 value

C'mon vendors - get involved! This is a great cause & a terrific wheeling spot I want staying open for my kids to enjoy (who are also coming along to help out!).

#18 · (Edited)
All Pro will be out with the Adventure4x4.Net crew helping with the cleanup, we will also be donating for the Raffle:

FJ Cruiser H.D. Rear Lower Links $349 value
FJ Cruiser Front H.D. Skid Plate $199 value
79-95 Solid Axle Hy-Steer kit $399 value

C'mon vendors - get involved! This is a great cause & a terrific wheeling spot I want staying open for my kids to enjoy (who are also coming along to help out!).
Awesome!!! Thanks guys. Is Peps and Carlos planning on showing up also?

Right now we have 150 rigs & 339 people registered for this event. Anybody else from this forum coming besides the vendors & cleanup committee?

#21 ·
David Zartman hooking us up with some free subscriptions for the raffle!!!

#23 ·
Come on everyone !!! Let's have a hugh FJC turnout for this event !!! This is a terrific opportunity to meet your fellow wheelers face to face, and to help clean up an awesome off-road area that's been neglected for a long time. Saturday will be the scheduled clean-up day, and many of us will be staying over thru Sunday to get in some great wheelin after the cean-up is completed. Mark your calendar, get the time off, and come on out and help !!!

#25 ·
That would be funny

#27 ·
Steve of PowerTank is stepping up with some Great prizes for the raffle!!!

#28 · (Edited)
Update- We are almost to our 500 person cap on event T-shirts & Meals, so signup soon if you're coming. People are still welcome to come if you happen to be 1 of the people over 500 but, you won't get a free event shirt or fed.
Calico Cleanup '07 - Home Page

#31 ·
Roc u leaving from the valley? Anyone leaving from the valley?

#34 ·
1 more week, don't forget to bring cash for extra raffle tickets.

#35 · (Edited)
bump for this weekend.
Remember to buy raffle tickets. Profits go to Discovery Trails(Calico Area) & The Rubicon Trail Fund.
>$1-1 ticket
>$5-6 tickets
>$20-25 tickets
>$100-150 tickets

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.