Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Call 'em FJ LAND cruisers!

5K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  MrBigAxe 
#1 · (Edited)
because I'm vain and I can't stand it when people call my ride a "PT crusier".
:flame:

Besides...it's more true to the vehicle's pedigree. We're just driving a LC Prado with a new body after all...

#2 ·
I like the name, I actually just want them to shorten the badge to just FJC.:bigthumb:

#4 ·
Yeah, this has been one of the issues with the FJ's name since it was released. There is an entire gray area of debate as to where the FJ fits in the "Land Cruiser" family. Some debate that it is a distant cousin, others feel that it represents MORE of the heritage that the LC name signifies than the newer land cruisers do, and still others feel that it is a completely different vehicle. I feel that it is a combination of the above...lol.

FJC would definately get my vote. The Cruiser name just seems weak without "Land" in front of it, especially with the similarity to the abomination of a car known as the PT Cruiser.

#5 ·
I just tell my friends or relatives that its my landcruiser. They usually don't know the difference and if they do and ask me the model, my reply is the new FJC. Which sometimes leads into a whole discussion on what model LC's have been around, but that rare. Regardless of badging etc, FJC has my vote for shorthand and in general yackity-yack is my LandCRUISER (special emphasis on CRUISER).

Cheers!

#8 ·
I call mine the FJ or the Land Crusher..

Just depending on what I am talking about.... I would like to have Toyota change the name to Land Cruiser FJC, to get back to the Land Cruiser FJ40 heritage.. Just an Idea and all...

:cheers:

#9 ·
My friend at work calls it a "Jeep." He is working his way out of my circle of friends. My neighbor called it a Landcruiser, and I explained to him that it's not called a Landcruiser and he said, "Well, that's dumb." I agree.

I wish they would have given it a name like the FJ(number designation) Landcruiser. Even if it was the FJ41 or something. Just something to let everybody know that it was related to the Landcruiser and part of the heritage.

Or even call it the FJ Prado, Landrunner, or something better than something that sounds too similar to PT Cruiser, which is a complete piece of crap.

#10 ·
Well the technical name for the FJ is GSJ15, but I wouldn't want that on the back of the FJ. So I just call it a FJ.:cheers:

#13 · (Edited)
As a professional namer (really - that's what I do), I agree with you guys on this - Toyota blew it with the "FJ Cruiser" name.

The evolution of the Land Cruiser is part of the problem. But as much as it is completely unlike the original FJ40, renaming it to free up the LC name for another vehicle would be a mistake.

But "FJ Cruiser" seems like an attempt to borrow some of the Land Crusier's past and present equity. I don't like the idea - even if it weren't for DC's "PT Crusier". "FJ... PT" I can't tell you how many people have said "Really, you take that offroad... I thought they were more like stationwagons... " thinking I said "PT Cruiser".

Literally, the day my FJ came come, the "Crusier" was peeled off. I now (after the first month) refer to it as..
- a Toyota
- a Toyota SUV
- my truck
- or, the most common - an FJ

As stated ^ up there and (in my professional opinion) Toyota had two options:
1. Use FJ + a relevant set of numerals, e.g. FJ40 (it does have a 4.0), FJ120 (edited), etc.
2. Use an entirely different name - either unrelated to the FJ40 or something related, e.g. tying to the original designer, town of first assembly... coined into appropriately pronouncable (marketable) word.

Still love the FJ... just not the name ;)

#16 ·
Yeah, that sounds really good actually. I was thinking LC 120, but that is what the Prado is called I think. So FJ 120 would be great. Same platform and all of that. It makes perfect sense.

#17 ·
Ya know... the Jeep name started out as a nickname... we could ignore the "FJ Cruiser" moniker... and call it what ever we want... and someday... just like the M38 became the Jeep... the FJ Cruiser can be become the FJ120 ;) And as the post on the General board tells us... we are 20,000 strong... 16% of the FJ120 market... those soldiers didn't have the internet... Al hadn't invented it yet... and they did it

#31 ·
IHMO, Land Cruiser no longer means what it did when referring to a 40.
That's true; but only in America.

Australia still gets the real thing:
http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/42817.jpg

I've got a FJ Cruiser and a FJ40. IMO the FJC should not be called a Land Cruiser. It's a capable truck right out of the box but it's not what I would consider a real Land Crusier. Toyota stopped bringing them to America in '97 because that was the last year of the solid front axle.

I call it an FJC most of the time.

#21 ·
I call mine "the rig". FJ is good to though......:lol:

#23 ·
I agree. The other day a friend asked me "How are you enjoying your PT Cruiser?" I had to stress that there was no way would ever drive a Chrysler or any other domestic.

I wish they would have numbered the TT's. Let each one of us that owns one, know what number we have. I like FJC though. Or just stick with FJ. NO cruiser.

#24 ·
I think either could work... and either is better than "FJ Cruiser".

FJC could (possibly) beg the question "What does FJC stand for?". But, given the plethora of MLs, RXs (Mazda and Lexus), GT-Rs, etc. it would probably just seem like an other random set of letters/numbers to the uninitiated - you know, the ones who think we drive PT Cruisers.

FJ120 could run intro problems if the platform designation becomes less relevant, e.g. Prada changes, the FJ Cruiser doesn't or vice-versa... Would next-gen platforms call for a FJ130, FJ220 (or 221... what ever it takes). This is isn't necessarily bad... just a consideration.

Now how funny would it be if a vendor created a replacement badge for us - a nice shiny "FJC" or "FJ120". That would be the coolest (and subtle, e.g. no window sticker needed) "in the club" designation out there.

#25 ·
Toyota should badge our vehicle "Landcruiser FJ". This is clearly a vehicle following its origin and designed for the rugged off-road use. By calling it the "Landcruiser FJ" the identity is complete: (1) it is of the Landcruiser Family and (2) it is a re-adobtion of the FJ40 styling and prowess.

If one thinks of the vehicle like genealogy research, it is like Grandpa and Grandma Landcruiser who had two boys. One boy was tall, brawny and liked the finer things in life, got married early, and went on to have children that were big luxory (city-fied) types (current Landcruiser). The other boy was average size, agile and liked the simpler things of life, and married and had children late in life. Following his life style, these children were regular simple (country-fied) types (current FJ Cruiser).

Now both boys have the same last name - Landcrusier. Just because the first boy had children early, there is no reason the second boy can't use the same last name. Therefore, the children of the second boy could be called "Landcruiser FJ" to distinguish the later generations. By-the-way the FJ signifies the relationship to Grandpa and Grandma (FJ40), but also recognizes the "Fantastic Journey" that occurred to bring us these wonderful machines.

#26 ·
I do like the rationale... but (yeah, there's always a but... Toyota can't have two vehicles sharing the same name (and the reality is that the Land Cruiser FJ would be shortened to Land Cruiser by the market) when there is such a MASSIVE difference in the price - $28,000 vs. $70,000.

The more I think about this...
FJC has problems... that "C". Why is it there? What does it mean? Now we're back to two cruisers...
FJ120 has problems... the LC uses the FJ80, FJ100 system... there could be issues with the FJ120 confusing the issue at some point.

Back to thinking the name should be simply "FJ" A pure heritage name.
Pros:
- It's what we're calling it now
- We already have the badges!
- Toyota can relax... much less of a mutiny by the 16 percenters

Cons:
- Not nearly as fun... no mutiny by the 16 percenters

Damn... I'm supposed be working on PAID naming jobs right now... this is a distraction... wish they were all this fun.

#27 ·
There is another thread where we are getting new badges made....right now it looks like brushed finish and FJC but I like the FJ120 as well.

They were looking for more interest to keep the cost down....FJC Rebadging

#29 · (Edited)
When I think of the name "Land Cruiser" I don't think of the luxury beast that is sold here. I think of FJ 40's and LC 70's

Toyota now sells three very different vehicles (worldwide) that have the name Land Cruiser attached to it....so why can't there be a fourth? :smokin:

Then again maybe it doesn't matter too much considering that I "fixed" the badge and call it the Land Cruiser anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.