Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been running the Camburg IFS setup I bought from FJNewb for a while now. But being in the driver's seat i never got a chance to see it doing work in action. This time my friend got a video of me crawling up a washout and it was my first time seeing how it moves. It's pretty cool how much it's flexing. This washout wasn't hard and every other FJ with Atrac on can get up no problem. But still the additional travel just makes it that much less tippy and looks more elegant.

Anyway, feel i would share the action shot with a comparison to an FJ with regular 3" lift :wink

UPDATE: Here is the action shot for front swaybar disconnect links for comparison. The up-travel gain is very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Excellent demonstration! Big difference between the two. :clap:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Your FJ was definitely on 4 wheels much more than the other FJ. Amazing! The Camburg kit is +3.5" correct? How are you able to run that without fiberglass fenders? Also, what coilovers do you have with this kit?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,925 Posts
woah.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
That's always a good run to test the suspension. Was there last month with a Taco that didn't have A-Trac and he couldn't get through that section. If you ever want to run with the Keystone guys let me know. We hit Rausch or AOAA once a month.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Wow. That's a huge difference. Same questions as above posters ^^^^

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Just thought of something else I want to ask :grin Being in PA, do you have any problems with the ball joints or bushings with the road salt?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your FJ was definitely on 4 wheels much more than the other FJ. Amazing! The Camburg kit is +3.5" correct? How are you able to run that without fiberglass fenders? Also, what coilovers do you have with this kit?
That's right. The +3.5. I have a front bump stop spacer to limit my up travel for now. In the future I plan to do just redo the flares. I don't like the look of those fiberglass fenders. I'm running icon coilovers.

And you are absolutely correct about uniballs in PA lol. With this setup, I have 16 uniballs/heim joints in the front? my solution? Bought a 1st gen Tacoma for winter driving lol

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was the swaybar removed on the red fj?
Man, that red FJ looked like it had a hard time stuffing a tire up in there. Same question as equalme.

Mine goes all the way up in there.
Wow. That's a huge difference. Same questions as above posters ^^^^
Good insight. No the front sway bar is connected in the red TT. Going up hill also makes stuffing front tire harder. Removing the front sway bar really helps a lot. I have a footage of another FJ who had front sway bar disconnect links. I'll post it later to show the difference.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's always a good run to test the suspension. Was there last month with a Taco that didn't have A-Trac and he couldn't get through that section. If you ever want to run with the Keystone guys let me know. We hit Rausch or AOAA once a month.
Cool! Always great to meet new friends to wheel with. You guys have a Facebook group or somewhere to post trail rides?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
That's right. The +3.5. I have a front bump stop spacer to limit my up travel for now. In the future I plan to do just redo the flares. I don't like the look of those fiberglass fenders. I'm running icon coilovers.

And you are absolutely correct about uniballs in PA lol. With this setup, I have 16 uniballs/heim joints in the front? my solution? Bought a 1st gen Tacoma for winter driving lol
Would love to see a close up shot of your suspension setup :rocker: And x2 on the fiberglass venders lol Great trail! Was that video from the FJNE run?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would love to see a close up shot of your suspension setup
And x2 on the fiberglass venders lol Great trail! Was that video from the FJNE run?
Here's a close up shot. Very maintenance heavy setup... and yes! It was a great run!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a close up shot. Very maintenance heavy setup... and yes! It was a great run!
How have the RCV's been? Back in the day nobody could get them to work right with the +2 LT.
My passenger side inner joint is binding relatively early. It only binds at 1 spot and in reverse. Maybe the shaft length is not setup correctly but I have yet to find out. Do you know what was wrong on those RCV for +2" LT?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Sweeeeet!! Wish I could've made it - and see your rig in person... Yes, curious about the RCVs as well - did they come with the Camburg kit or did you figure out fitment on your own? I'm still waiting for RCV to release their FJ specific CVs....and truthfully on the fence about getting them (more likely to break a diff, etc). Super interested in your feedback :smile

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
My passenger side inner joint is binding relatively early. It only binds at 1 spot and in reverse. Maybe the shaft length is not setup correctly but I have yet to find out. Do you know what was wrong on those RCV for +2" LT?
The shaft length was not right or the c clip would pull off to easily and the CV would fall out.

There is a thread on here I just read yesterday where the 3 people who had them basically went back to stock CV joints and +2 extended shafts.

RCV could have made some improvememts since then I don't know. Seems lile they couldn't quite get the formula right.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...150849-rcv-performance-ultimate-cv-axles.html

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
The shaft length was not right or the c clip would pull off to easily and the CV would fall out.

There is a thread on here I just read yesterday where the 3 people who had them basically went back to stock CV joints and +2 extended shafts.

RCV could have made some improvememts since then I don't know. Seems lile they couldn't quite get the formula right.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...150849-rcv-performance-ultimate-cv-axles.html
Very interesting thread... I was talking with RCV not long ago and they're "nearly done" with r & d on the FJ specific axles. I'm on their email list for announcement of the release.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts