Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had left water in my blue bag for over 3 weeks and it tasted just fine afterwards.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think Ive done about the same myself. I recently read a thread on AR15.com where a guy supposed said he did a test leaving tap water in freshly cleaned bladders (3 separate bags) for 19months (reportedly October 2009 to May 2011) without issue. That sounded extreme but I'm just curious to see what other experiences have been :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've kept water in my CamelBak resevoir (bladder) for a couple weeks before. It will stay just fine. Never ever ever put anything else besides water in a bladder! I worked at an Outdoors store and its something that I've learned from there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yay another Ole missfan here! It should stay drinkable as long as the bladder was clean to begin with as nothing should contaminate it if you fill it with filtered or bottled water

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have stored water in Camelbacks from a Big Berkey filter system for several months at a time with zero issues. Only in freshly cleaned or new bladders and a combo of civilian and military bladders.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah this is going to be a brand new military (dark brown style) bladder and tap water.

I'm sure that would be "pure" enough to last a couple months but since this will be stored in my truck, which I'm sure could create quite the idea environment in the summer for happy little bugs to grow, I think I'll add a couple drops of bleach just as a precaution to inhibit the growth of anything that somehow managed to find it's way in there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yeah this is going to be a brand new military (dark brown style) bladder and tap water.

I'm sure that would be "pure" enough to last a couple months but since this will be stored in my truck, which I'm sure could create quite the idea environment in the summer for happy little bugs to grow, I think I'll add a couple drops of bleach just as a precaution to inhibit the growth of anything that somehow managed to find it's way in there.
I would use iodine purification tablets over bleach. Even a small amount might damage the coating inside of the bladder.

Edit: would actually recommend a steripen for your situation

[ http://www.amazon.com/SteriPEN-Traveler-Water-Purifier-Blue/dp/B0041EB6EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1397270167&sr=1-1&keywords=steripen][URL] [color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would use iodine purification tablets over bleach. Even a small amount might damage the coating inside of the bladder.

Edit: would actually recommend a steripen for your situation

[ http://www.amazon.com/SteriPEN-Traveler-Water-Purifier-Blue/dp/B0041EB6EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1397270167&sr=1-1&keywords=steripen][URL] [color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Good lookin out but Camelbak bladders are safe with more bleach than is necessary to purify even the dirtiest water according to their cleaning instructions.

You only need 8 drops of bleach to purify up to 1 gallon of clear (or mostly clear) water and no more than 16 drops for 1 gallon of murky filtered water. That equates to roughly 6 - 12 drops for a 3L bladder.

According to Camelbak's cleaning instructions up to 2 tablespoons for 30 minutes is safe to clean a bladder :)

CamelBak | Cleaning - How to Clean your CamelBak Reservoir

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I've had water that sat in my brown/military one for about two months, smelled and tasted fine, I did clean the bladder after that though, but no ill effects.

I also came across this the other day at cabellas to dry the bladder
CamelBak | RESERVOIR DRYER Hang Dry with Ease - Military & Tactical
I don't get it.
I get that it hangs upside down, but they don't show a pic of it actually in use.
What is the rectangular structure for? Does it come apart and you close it around the bladder, or does it collapse to fit inside of the bladder, or what?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't get it.
I get that it hangs upside down, but they don't show a pic of it actually in use.
What is the rectangular structure for? Does it come apart and you close it around the bladder, or does it collapse to fit inside of the bladder, or what?
It collapses like a dry wall stud thingy then you put it in the bladder and it opens up making sure theres an air gap in the bladder so it can dry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts