Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's great! Thank you for posting a pic of an FJ carrying a kayak, too! I've been debating on getting an inflatable kayak versus the hard shell. Any thoughts? Where are your favorite places to kayak?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great! Thank you for posting a pic of an FJ carrying a kyak, too! I've been debating on getting an inflatable kyak versus the hard shell. Any thoughts? Where are your favorite places to kyak?
I've never had a chance to paddle an inflatable so I'm not sure how it compares. I purchased this kayak (my third one) at High Trails Canoe in Dallas.
High Trails Canoe/Kayak sales and classes
The guy there has a ton of knowledge and you can rent from him to try them out and see what you like.

Texoma is by far my favorite lake to kayak on so far. We camped at Mill Creek Friday night, woke up early Saturday and made it to two of the islands. One was small enough to walk all the way around in like 15 minutes the other was much larger. Once on the islands we had the sandy beaches to ourselves and I could let my daughter roam at will which she took full advantage of!

Kayaking in the Gulf is a lot of fun too, it's like surfing sitting down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, first step would probably be for me to start spelling kayak correctly. :grinbiginvert:

Awesome, I will check out that place for sure. Thanks!

Also, what kind of rack do you have?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That's great! I've been debating on getting an inflatable kyak versus the hard shell. Any thoughts? Where are your favorite places to kyak?
I was stupid enough to purchase inflatable kayak. Maybe it`s good in the nice tiny lake with warm water... but out in the open water it`s something i wouldn`t wish for my enemy lol.. i had it for 2 weeks and returned it after a trip on the pretty big lake with pretty cold water lol. The only thing it has on the real kayak is the size once deflated.. but fails miserable in every other department. Those are just my experiences... Now i got Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler and loving it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, first step would probably be for me to start spelling kayak correctly. :grinbiginvert:

Awesome, I will check out that place for sure. Thanks!

Also, what kind of rack do you have?
Feet are Thule Rapid System 775
Load Bars are Thule RB53 Rapid Aero
J Cradles are Thule 835XTR

In the end I wish I would have gone with the Thule square bar instead. Some accessories don't fit the aero bars, also I painted the bars black where the square bars are already black.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was stupid enough to purchase inflatable kayak. Maybe it`s good in the nice tiny lake with warm water... but out in the open water it`s something i wouldn`t wish for my enemy lol.. i had it for 2 weeks and returned it after a trip on the pretty big lake with pretty cold water lol. The only thing it has on the real kayak is the size once deflated.. but fails miserable in every other department. Those are just my experiences... Now i got Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler and loving it :bigthumb:
Ok, that's good to know. I have only used a kayak once, and it was inflatable....and it was on a small warm lake. Thank you for the insight. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to stick with a real one and just take special kayaking trips instead of packing an inflatable for all camping trips.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Feet are Thule Rapid System 775
Load Bars are Thule RB53 Rapid Aero
J Cradles are Thule 835XTR

In the end I wish I would have gone with the Thule square bar instead. Some accessories don't fit the aero bars, also I painted the bars black where the square bars are already black.
Thank you so much for the info!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Ok, that's good to know. I have only used a kayak once, and it was inflatable....and it was on a small warm lake. Thank you for the insight. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to stick with a real one and just take special kayaking trips instead of packing an inflatable for all camping trips.
Glad i could help :cheers:

I transport my Tarpon 120 upside down, i have 1 Thule bar up front with foam wrap and 2 foam saddles on the back section of the rack.. Went up to 1600 miles around trips with that setup, no problems at all :bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts