Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a "camping at the summit" thread.

I made the first summit but haven't been able to make the others until hopefully this year! So, anyone camped at the 4J camp area in town? If so, what was the experience there?

First summit I camped at KOA which was pretty nice facility but I had a lousy spot (off main road, near road bump and under security light). Any who, anyone inquired about the KOA group camp area?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I am staying at KOA. When looking at the site it looks like the good site kinda secluded from everyone said it was reserved already. So I booked by the pond. I tried calling this KOA directly but they aren't open just an answering machine. Was hoping that the reserved spots were for FJs.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The reserved spot is not for FJs, but a big jeep hillbilly group that was there last year too. If you call and leave a message, they will call you back. I got a call back within 2 days and reserved several tent sites.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hillbillies? They make some awesome corn whiskey out that way (Western Colorado). Leagal like. Not to offend our South Eastern brothers and sisters. After enough of that Jet Fuel you could sleep, well in a jail cell.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
This happens every year. People reserve blocks of tent spaces or cabins and then, once they find out how many in their group can't make it (at the last minute usually), they will cancel some of the spaces. I don't recommend trying it but I've waited until the two weeks before the event the last two years and still got a spot due to cancellations.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm not going to throw out any names, but I think someone camped in their RTT last year in the parking lot of the Best Western. I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying if you have a RTT you can camp just about anywhere. If you are in the hotel parking lot, they think you are just a vendor display.. :)

I'd like to find a place to camp up there to save a bit of cash, but the wife thinks the hotel with out A/C is Camping.. :(

-C

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'd like to find a place to camp up there to save a bit of cash, but the wife thinks the hotel with out A/C is Camping.. :(

-C
we camped two nights last year and stayed at a B&B two nights. Was a good compromise, after all my wife didn't want to sleep on the dirt for her birthday.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This will be the first Summit I will be able to make and I'm looking forward to it. I got a room reserved for the whole time but would like to camp atleast one night while there. I was surprised that my girlfriend was a little disapointed when I told her I got a room for us. She thought we would be camping the whole time. I'll be trying to find out as much info about Summit since this will be our first one. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I plan on camping in the national forest park, just north of town. Since I have the RTT, all I have to do is pick a nice spot & I'm done. I got some great feedback on some secluded & peaceful spots, & am looking forward to it!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ridgeway State park is where we stayed last year. Kids loved it, swimming in the lake, quiet. 10 minutes from Ouray.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No facilities at Ridgeway correct other than assuming vault toilets? Didn't know there was a lake nearby, that would be nice but I bet cold swimming. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ridgeway State park is where we stayed last year. Kids loved it, swimming in the lake, quiet. 10 minutes from Ouray.
We've stayed there twice and it is a great place, very scenic. Rates are good but be aware there is a daily charge for the car and the showers are coin operated in addition to the campsite charge.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We've stayed there twice and it is a great place, very scenic. Rates are good but be aware there is a daily charge for the car and the showers are coin operated in addition to the campsite charge.
The showers are a buck, flush toilets,clean. The car fee is the day use fee for the park. Anyways, the kids enjoyed the lake and play area (8 and 10 year olds). My wife thought a buck was too much and too short a time so she just showered at the hot springs in town. We preferred it to the KOA where we stayed in 08. Less crowded and much quieter. Cheers

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
we got a small one room cabin in 09 at the KOA. this year the whole family coming up for the summit so we are going to camp this year there. i'm bringing all the home made beer and apple pie (southern hilly billy style) you can drink.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
This was my campsite at the first Summit, near a little pond up on Black Bear Pass, free, great views, quiet...

·
Registered
253 Posts
we camped two nights last year and stayed at a B&B two nights. Was a good compromise, after all my wife didn't want to sleep on the dirt for her birthday.
That's funny. My wife MAKES me take her camping to sleep in the dirt for her birthday. Swap? :lol:

·
Registered
253 Posts
This will be the first Summit I will be able to make and I'm looking forward to it. I got a room reserved for the whole time but would like to camp atleast one night while there. I was surprised that my girlfriend was a little disapointed when I told her I got a room for us. She thought we would be camping the whole time. I'll be trying to find out as much info about Summit since this will be our first one. Any suggestions would be great.
Keep your girlfriend happy. That's my advice.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
this is were i stayed in 09

1 - 20 of 35 Posts