Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a brand new FJ owner, but I've always loved camping and am excited by the prospect of camping out during off-roading trips/events. However, I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of posts on this thread fall more on the "glamping" side of things. This makes the search function a bit harder to use for finding more "traditional" camp setups. While I appreciate comfort, and understand that much of the nuanced discussion would fall into that realm, through a combination of price and stubbornness that style of camping just isn't for me.

I currently have a bone stock rig, and I'd only be storing the absolute necessities. I already have my toolkit and first aid storage figured out. I need to store 1-2 sleeping bags, water, just enough food to get by, and a small tent. Does anyone have a setup like this?

The FJ is going to be my daily, so I'm not quite ready to build out permanent drawers in the back. Preferably something affordable and low-profile/removable that won't jostle too much on the trails. My first thought would be nets on the back seats and door, but I could be totally off base with that as I'm a clueless newbie when it comes to modding.

· Registered
2014, Trails Team Ultimate Edition.
304 Posts
I am being presumptuous but most people who are "glamping" probably started from very humble origins of traditional camping .

However, by definition, creating storage and organization with the intent to provide more luxurious accommodations is glamping. Welcome to the Glamping club....

all joking aside, I started by throwing my hiking 85L backpack fully loaded into into my trunk for several years. This was more than enough and I eventually migrated to more luxurious accommodations so this could be a first step,

As per your inquiry, I do recall a wonderful video with a simple platform and storage totes. this might be a good option. hope this helps.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire

· Registered
7,941 Posts
Because you can never effectively pack them 100% full, I've found that the contents of ANY kind of rigid storage containers make a terrible amount of annoying clatter when off-road.

I stuff EVERYTHING into gear bags of various sizes (HD military bags are ideal) and stack and interlace them in the cargo bay. Nothing moves, shifts, or rattles, and because the bags are collapsible, they are always at 100% packing density. Because they're fabric, they can be stacked and won't slide around like rigid containers will.

Two weeks worth of camping gear will fit in the cargo bay (rear seats folded), including a 50 quart freezer-fridge, 5 gallons or water and 65lb Golden Retriever and her bed.

Bedding is stored in the hard-shell RTT, so bulky blankets and pillows don't take up any room inside the rig.

· Registered
57 Posts
I tow a camper trailer often, so yeh i usually fit into the glamping category.

I have thought about doing solo trips (when i can somehow ditch the family, lol) and cutting down what i take, right down to a minimum.

Regardless of towing the camper, for any trip, my car has a 40L fridge, a 2.4M Gazebo (both shown in pic below) i have a folding table that slides in vertically beside the Gazebo (where the red noodle is) , and i can easy fit 4 or 5 folding camping chairs behind the fridge.

I have a tent that clips into the Gazebo , as well as a small stand alone 2 man tent, both would easy fit just sitting on top of the fridge, then i have 120W folding solar panels that sit up beside the table.

Cargo barrier helps to secure things, but other than that, the car is standard in the back.

I sit a 20L jerry for water behind one of the front seats, mostly for convenience lifting it in when full (it will fit in the back ,but i have to lift it over the fridge, and my lil chicken arms don't like doing that ,lol)

Bouncing around on the trails nothing moves or makes annoying noises, well, except the kids.

Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

· Premium Member
5,271 Posts
As with our trucks, some people do go overboard and buy a bunch of extra stuff that they don't really need. But some of what you'll consider "glamping" is experience on the trails as well.

If you sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground, the first night you don't get a good night's sleep you'll be buying an air mattress. That may never happen for you, it did for us. Skip the ones with the internal electric pumps, the batteries go dead at the wrong times. A $10 Coleman air pump powered from the cigarette lighter in the back of the truck lasts forever, and can also be used to pump up tubes when you go river tubing in the summer (we do this in Golden CO).

If you live near an REI / Murdochs / JAX, go there and try out every camping chair they have. Buy whichever one is most comfortable to you. No matter your gear level, you'll be spending a lot of time in that chair. And they take 4 seconds to close up and put away.

After that, how cold do you want your drinks (portable fridge, I don't have one) and how hot do you want your food. If you just want to sit around a fire and eat prepacked sandwiches, that's easy. If your wife requires coffee in the morning (the Navy plates on my truck are my wife's) then you can buy a good thermos and keep coffee warm for a day or you can make coffee with a percolator and a small grill. At which point, you might as well get something with two burners and a griddle top.

If you do the two burner stove I'd add a small folding table, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/JOFTIX-Anti-Slip-Adjustable-Lightweight-Portable/dp/B09Y8WVZ8L/

It doesn't take up a lot of space in the back and its less of a fire hazard than putting your grill on the ground.

I know people with rooftop tents that use them once every two years. And I know people who take their kids camping 30 weekends a year. How often you go / much you spend is up to you, spending a lot on gear you rarely use is expensive. Spending the correct amount on gear you use a lot is smart. It's the same rationale as building your truck right for the trails you do. What you don't want is a failure when you're out there.

Good luck!

· Registered
2014, Trails Team Ultimate Edition.
304 Posts
prior to building out my trunk storage, I spent many years tossing my 85L backpack into the back. My backpack contained everything i needed for a long trek so it would make sense that it's more than adequate for car-camping. the advantage of this system is that you don't overpack, you are always trail ready, and your are mindful of the ounces. plus you have better opportunities to camp away from your vehicle. this is how my daughter does it now and she has her own FJ. to be fair, she's also broke (college student) so her backpack will do for a long time. i have my full backpacking list in case anyone needs it which all fits in an 85L backpack.

· Registered
29 Posts
Every working setup is a result of numerous trials and errors and extensive research. Because everybody has different needs and requirements you have to find your golden setup.

In your current situation I wouldn't bother with any storage solution besides "loose items in plastic bin, the rest just as is". Here is example of good inexpensive plastic bin - Sportsman's Trunk - Medium - If you really need - 3 of these fits perfectly in FJ trunk. Unfortunately empty box consumes same amount of space as full one, so I use only 2 - one for toolkit and one for camping kitchen.

The biggest disadvantage of this approach that it is hard to manage. And if playing tetris in a trunk doesn't amuse you, then you need to build a platform to add a layer.

· Registered
60 Posts
Just do a three day camp out close to home. You will soon find the ideal setup that gets you through those three days. Get your note book going on what you missed not having and stuff you simply don't need. Lots of stuff on craigslist to ease the expense of new but lots of water, wipes, an etool for the occasional squat and trash bags.

· Registered
2013 FJ Army Green MT
568 Posts
I find a fabric car top works great, you can secure with extra straps to your roof rack, locking options, waterproof. A good place for items you don't want inside your rig. Don't need anything flying around inside your rig!

· Premium Member
2008 Sandstorm Automatic Upgrade Package II
1,275 Posts
Whatever you decide on, make certain that it can be properly secured. In a wreck or slamming on the brakes, can turn unsecured items into deadly projectiles. Evaluate the various solutions that you will see on the Forum and then think (God forbid) that FJ rolling over at any speed and the results.

· Registered
10 Posts
I'm a brand new FJ owner, but I've always loved camping and am excited by the prospect of camping out during off-roading trips/events. However, I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of posts on this thread fall more on the "glamping" side of things. This makes the search function a bit harder to use for finding more "traditional" camp setups. While I appreciate comfort, and understand that much of the nuanced discussion would fall into that realm, through a combination of price and stubbornness that style of camping just isn't for me.

I currently have a bone stock rig, and I'd only be storing the absolute necessities. I already have my toolkit and first aid storage figured out. I need to store 1-2 sleeping bags, water, just enough food to get by, and a small tent. Does anyone have a setup like this?

The FJ is going to be my daily, so I'm not quite ready to build out permanent drawers in the back. Preferably something affordable and low-profile/removable that won't jostle too much on the trails. My first thought would be nets on the back seats and door, but I could be totally off base with that as I'm a clueless newbie when it comes to modding.

This is my setup , I can be asleep in 3 minutes , also have 2 draws in the back for camping gear
Tire Sky Wheel Car Automotive carrying rack
Dog Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Vertebrate

· fka trailman
1,015 Posts
I went out and got one of these little guys. a little over board but nice to be able to load everything in the trailer and still be able to use the FJ while camping
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Reactions: tomwill55
1 - 20 of 23 Posts