Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a group buy for this, and had to get it. $200!!!

But that also means i have $200 less now :crbaby:

Anyway, install was easy. I just happened to have two L brackets and two U bolts in my garage. See? Easy.

The awning did not include mounts, just 8 stainless bolts to use for your own mounting method. So i drilled 4 holes into each bracket... and Kazaam i'm done.

BUT, the mounts are somewhat weak and not final. Will be rethinking them :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hmm, has anyone considered and awning that would extend out over the rear? Say when you have the rear door open, it would pull out and cover the rear as far out as the rear door?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I use a Kelty Canyonlands tarp and a couple of poles. With this setup I can put the shade anywhere I need it. I attach it to my roof rack, pull it tight, pole it up, stake it out, and viola-shade! It takes about five minutes to set up and has a cantileiever cut so the wind just rolls right off it without a bunch of annoying flapping. Costs about fifty on sale if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
CASA EL DOMINICO 6.What are ur nightly rates for this fine FJC suite?:rocker:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Update:

I like it.. Provides shade when i want to work on my FJ.

I don't like it. It is a ***** to unroll/rollup by your self.
Ah come on, this old man can do it :D

It is easier to setup than put away though.
Ya gotta be careful when putting it away that you do not let the tubes that come out horizontally to angle down, or the plastic hinge where it attaches to can get weak or snap.

Saw a picture of that happening over on IH8MUD's site.
The guy made a new one out of wood until he could get a replacement.
I think his was the ARB awning though.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Seem like if they made it spring loaded it would make it easier to put back. How weather resistant is it? I would concerned with mildew if I live in wetter climates.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update #2:

I really really fricken hate this thing.

It takes me longer to set this up by myself with two hand's then it does to completely deploy and setup my ARB RTT.

But i do love the shade..

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Maybe you should've gotten one of these.

You could ask Dustpark to see if has spares. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts