Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So is it as easy to put back as it is to set up?
I would say so, the first time or two takes an extra 5 minutes. After that takedown is just as quick.

Can you fold it up with sleeping bags in it?
I've heard mixed things from other people, but I have 2 queen size pillows and two queen size comforters (In a waterproof bag), along with 2 flashlights, travel toothbrush in mine closed up right now.

How hard is it to take on and off? I would need to leave it off unless I went camping otherwise it won't fit in the garage.
IMO its a pain to take on and off, 8 bolts that go relatively fast on a stock roofrack, but I've heard are painful to remove on some low profile aftermarket racks. Then two people to remove the tent from the roof.

I have seen a thread somewhere else on the forum though, where someone developed a lift system inside their garage to lift it off of their FJ and store it against the ceiling when not in use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm curious about weight - nobody's really been able to identify what the real capacity of the stock bars (not the crossbars) are. Have you had 2 people up there? Any noises or other signs of damage?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is the Camping Lab Tent available only through the manufacturer/distributor or are there other places that it can be purchased?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm curious about weight - nobody's really been able to identify what the real capacity of the stock bars (not the crossbars) are. Have you had 2 people up there? Any noises or other signs of damage?
I believe the roof, or roof rack of the FJ is rated for 500 pounds. I have had at least 400 pounds in mine with 2 people (Myself and Brother) Plus the weight of the tent itself. Never had any issues, heard any noises, or noticed any wear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So...no ladder extension required?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with the same setup on an OEM rack and figured I'd have to get a ladder extension based on the specs.

Looks like yours is working just fine without one...can you confirm?

Thanks a ton, great write up - Bob

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So...no ladder extension required?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger with the same setup on an OEM rack and figured I'd have to get a ladder extension based on the specs.

Looks like yours is working just fine without one...can you confirm?

Thanks a ton, great write up - Bob

Wow just saw this post when I was coming in to ask a question about that.

It has worked wonderful without an extension.

That being said, I just ordered a lift kit, and I will be needing an extension when I get a lift. I noticed camping labs has them on backorder.

Does anyone know if any of the other companies ladder extensions are compatible?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts