Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at another awning, but it was almost double the price of the one I just got last week.
It is sold by Camping Labs, owned/ran by a Toyota guy named Fernando.

The awning is basically the same as the ARB one which is also the same as the Mombassa.

It arrived Wednesday along with two nice camping chairs.
Rain this weekend, or I would have tried to hook up the awning to my roof rack yesterday.

I hope to get it installed before Memorial Day weekend so I can review it along with all the other camping gear I have been stock piling up on.
I will have a full review of a bunch of stuff I have bought over the past few months for camping.
I will have the reviews up in this section.

The chairs are really nice, and they are extra wide.
They come with a carry case too.
Those are currently setup in my home to test out.

Camping Lab

The awning

The chairs

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The chairs look nice but that design usually breaks quickly unless these are really good. About how much are the chairs and where can you get them?

I was looking at another awning, but it was almost double the price of the one I just got last week.
It is sold by Camping Labs, owned/ran by a Toyota guy named Fernando.

The awning is basically the same as the ARB one which is also the same as the Mombassa.

It arrived Wednesday along with two nice camping chairs.
Rain this weekend, or I would have tried to hook up the awning to my roof rack yesterday.

I hope to get it installed before Memorial Day weekend so I can review it along with all the other camping gear I have been stock piling up on.
I will have a full review of a bunch of stuff I have bought over the past few months for camping.
I will have the reviews up in this section.

The chairs are really nice, and they are extra wide.
They come with a carry case too.
Those are currently setup in my home to test out.

Camping Lab

The awning

The chairs

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chairs look nice but that design usually breaks quickly unless these are really good. About how much are the chairs and where can you get them?
You get all the Camping Labs stuff directly from the link above, and you contact Fernando via email.
I used PayPal to pay him with.

The chairs were $40 for the two of them.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
PS...
It warmed up a bit here, so I put the brackets on the awning loosly and test fitted it to the rack.
It looks good.

I am spray painting the brackets with Rustoleum smooth black right now, and I hope to have it on the rig by Tuesday for a few pics.
I doubt it I will be able to open it up though, not enough room here.

Will have open pics for sure though over the upcoming holiday.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have similar chairs from Cabellas that are very sturdy and have held up to abuse. I am 6'4" 230 lbs and they handle my weight no problem.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Nice Corey..I would like to see better pics on how the Awning attaches to the rack...on their site it's not real clear. Oh, and how much for the awning too. It looks great, I know your rig is really coming along now. Can't wait to see the pics. :)

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, the awning was $200, not bad.
Yes, I will get some nice closeups of how it hooks to the Yakima crossbars.

I have to use the two outer bars, as the two inner bars the bottom of the Maggiolina rests on them, but there is a gap on the two outer bars, perfect for the U bolts to work.

Dangit!
I had just put the fourth coat of paint on and was getting ready to flip them to do the other side and it was raining.

The wet paint had rain all over it.
Hopefully it will dry OK, I brought them inside, and will tackle the outer part of the brackets tomorrow after work.

The back of the awning itself has two channels on it which three bolts slide into.
The bracket plate then sits on the bolts and you tighten down some included Nylock nuts.

The other part of the bracket has four holes each.
That is for two U bolts per bracket.
It pretty much attaches the exact same way as my tent does to the Yakima bars.

I will be sure to get good closeups of how it all attaches.

This awning is also 6'7" wide, but I am not sure of the length when you unroll it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Corey,
Personally prefer this chair from REI
Solid and comfortable, adjustable, lumbar support or head rest.
Only caveat is that it might be a bit low to the ground for some

·
Registered
820 Posts
We just ordered our RTT from Camping Labs....Fernando is top notch! Should be getting it this coming week, will be posting a review.

I wanted to get the awning too, but I already bought another one earlier this year...not quite as cool and convenient, but so far it hasn't been used a single time so i don't plan on upgrading until I see that its something we will actually use.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do.
And if you are not running crossbars such as Yakima or Thule, you could make up some brackets to work with the stock rack for the awning.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Will do.
And if you are not running crossbars such as Yakima or Thule, you could make up some brackets to work with the stock rack for the awning.
Cool Thanks !! I was wondering about that.. I would hate to get a good deal on a RTT and then have to shell out the money for a new roof rack.... Thanks again for the tip..

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool Thanks !! I was wondering about that.. I would hate to get a good deal on a RTT and then have to shell out the money for a new roof rack.... Thanks again for the tip..
If you are running the stock roof rack, it should work with any roof top tent, but you will want Yakima or Thule crossbars.

Most of the tents out there including mine have channels on the bottom that a plate slides in and a U bolt hangs down you tighten to grip the rack.

I wish I had a better closeup of how the tent mounts, I will have to snag one later.
The two inner crossbars have the U bolts that clamp to the crossbars.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/fj/rtt/13.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, I will get you more shots tomorrow.
It was to hot to set it up today.
I just got it mounted today.

Tomorrow I have to pop the tent to put my down comforter in it, and I will get pics of the awning setup.

Here is the way the custom mounts work that Fernando made.
You can see the three bolts that slide into the two channels on the back side of the awning.
His custom mount slips over the bolts.

The mount is then secured to the Yakima crossbars by U bolts.

First picture shows the mount before I painted it.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Final shots are done.
And man, is it hot out!
93 degrees it says on my Yahoo weather widget.

First picture is the awning in its case.
It sets up pretty easy, but a little cumbersome for one person.
You have to jockey yourself behind the material with you in between it and the rig.
It was like an oven with me in between the material and the rig.

I had the tent opened up also, as I put the down comforter in it.

The awning is free standing, but there are stakes for the loops at the bottom of the vertical support poles, and also guy line ropes and stakes that hook to the top rope loops hanging down from the horizontal supports bars.

I also made a video earlier today, and this is also in my buildup thread.
Not of the awning, but of the tent.

YouTube - Setting up the Maggiolina roof top tent

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
That tent if friggen awsome! Do you take it off to go wheeling? Is it hard to take off the roof?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts