Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a while since I've been family camping, and we're getting back into it this year. Given I was in the Army for so long, I feel my version of "camping" might be a bit minimalist for my family.

What are you all hauling for a camping trip? What are the things you wouldn't be without? I won't be towing a trailer, so it'd be on the roof or in the back. Eventually I'll have a RTT set up, but for now we just have a ground tent.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like something more than a backpack stove to cook with. No stick cookware. Don't get stuck on a factory put together kit. Get a skillet big enough to cook a decent meal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess another thing to ask is, what is one thing you've added to your camping kit and thought "this is the best damn thing I've ever used for camping"?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I guess another thing to ask is, what is one thing you've added to your camping kit and thought "this is the best damn thing I've ever used for camping"?
Best damn (3) things... not including the 60L Alu-Box that stores it all
1) Partner Steel 9" folding 2-burner stove
2) Jet Boil (quick coffee / boiling water / ramen)
3) ARB Fridge (this is #1 )

My wife and I have all of our cooking/kitchen supplies in one 60L Alu-Box. Super simple and easy to load.

We then just need to carry a 6gal water jug and have our ARB 50 fridge. Everything fits in the cargo area of the FJ.

You might want to check this thread out too for packing ideas: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/659290-lets-see-your-rigs-packed-trip-5.html

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best damn (3) things... not including the 60L Alu-Box that stores it all
1) Partner Steel 9" folding 2-burner stove
2) Jet Boil (quick coffee / boiling water / ramen)
3) ARB Fridge (this is #1 )

My wife and I have all of our cooking/kitchen supplies in one 60L Alu-Box. Super simple and easy to load.

We then just need to carry a 6gal water jug and have our ARB 50 fridge. Everything fits in the cargo area of the FJ.

You might want to check this thread out too for packing ideas: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/659290-lets-see-your-rigs-packed-trip-5.html
Thanks Darkhorse, that's useful info! I also saw this kitchen box from iKamper that looked pretty cool https://www.ikamper.com/pages/aioks

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
ARB fridge
Depending on how deep your going but a chainsaw is sometimes good. Major pain and takes up room but nice when that 18” tree is blocking the path.
Baby wipes

·
Desert Moderator
5,599 Posts
Jetboil. Don't leave home with out it.
You'll also never regret buying a decent gas twin hob cooker.
Steel bucket for heating a lot of water over the fire
A cheap tarp or 3 to use as ground sheets/shade/privacy as required.
Depending on the age of the kids - something for them to do...
For the Mrs - something to sit on while she does her business. In my experience not everyone is thrilled to wander off with a shovel, a roll of bog roll, and a lighter and enjoy the view while having a squat. https://www.snowys.com.au/camp-toilets

A roll of paracord type rope for all sorts of stuff.
paper plates - just chuck them in the fire when you're done with them - means less water needed.
Trasharoo - good for carrying wood in and any rubbish that you can't burn out.
Take canned rather than bottled refreshments (don't break, less space, crush down to nothing). There's no shame in taking goon camping either ;-)
Tin mugs, folding table (or a sheet of plywood on top of a couple of crates)
Pillows - none of those camp pillows - bring your home pillows and some sheets to throw on the airbed - your family will appreciate those small comforts.
Don't go cheap on airbeds (or stretchers) - buy once, cry once - noone likes to have to pump their bed up in the middle of the night., but you don't need to bring monstrosities either.
A steel shovel is your best friend. Filling sandbags, managing the fire, lifting the bucket on/off the fire, digging holes!
welding gloves

Bunnings...

·
Desert Moderator
5,599 Posts
Thanks Darkhorse, that's useful info! I also saw this kitchen box from iKamper that looked pretty cool https://www.ikamper.com/pages/aioks
That looks awesome! I'm looking for one for myself now!
The Kovea burners are pretty decent - I think they do a good copy of the jetboil too, but I am super happy with my original jetboil - it'll probably out last me...

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Partner stove is the best.
I don't leave home without it and a small propane bottle.
https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner

I have a bag with all of my cooking utensils and silverware/plasticware/nylonware packed inside.

The stove propane bottle, bag of cooking utensils, fry pan, pots and pans, all fit in a rectangular milk crate ready to be loaded.

Pat
Pat

How much are those stoves?

I currently use a small stove from coleman that goes in a briefcase. It uses the small coleman gas.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Insect repellent, sunscreen, tarps and para-cord. Signalling devices of several types. Solar charger for the batteries in my flashlights and other electronics.

Where I camp I have multiple firearms, not an option for you I know.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Kids like light. Flashlights, lanterns, hanging decorative lights, these...

Bug spray is another must have if you have biting bugs in your area.

·
Desert Moderator
5,599 Posts
I'll just have to have a really big stick. Guns aren't much good against spiders :grin
They tend not to do the tent any good when you use them against spiders anyway ;-)
At least you don't have to worry too much about the wildlife in Vic - I'm pretty jealous - I really want to explore the high country myself...

·
Desert Moderator
5,599 Posts
Creepy crawlies are more of an issue here than wildlife :) I'm looking forward to getting back out camping, that's for sure
Only the dropbears to consider ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts