Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Best West is sponsoring the Summit, but is there anywhere that anyone has camped out at during the prior summits? I just registered, and I am thinking about camping out a night. Any suggestions? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I know that the Best West is sponsoring the Summit, but is there anywhere that anyone has camped out at during the prior summits? I just registered, and I am thinking about camping out a night. Any suggestions? :cheers:
Tons of people camp, there are several threads about the various campsites around.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, thanks!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked today for availability for everything listed on the website, and everything is booked, cant find anywhere with an open tent spot. The ampitheatre has spots, but they are first come first serve. I cant rely on driving all the way there and someone be parked there. This sux, not sure what Im gonna do now....

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scratch that, I called KOA and the guy said he had one open so I took it, praise the FJ Gods!

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I would encourage you to still check out the amphitheatre. It is very nice. If there is an opening, I would take it. It is not that far from "downtown" and it is very scenic. My wife and I enjoyed camping there in the past.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, ill most def look into it while out there. Thats where i really wanted to camp, but nothing was left. Anyway, I look forward to seeing everyone out there for my first summit.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I stayed at Ridgecrest (or was it Timbercrest?) in town last year and it was quite noisy and dusty. So I looked at all the camping options in/around Ouray before I left. Here's a brief summary:

KOA: too far from town and managed by some crabby folks.
4F & J: in town, walk to HQ, but cramped and crowded.
Ampitheater: fairly close, but sites can be quite small and usually full.
Yankee Boy Road CGs: two located up road a ways, usually full and the first one is really poor acess, no trailers. Other one further up road on left is also cramped and right on the very busy and dusty road.

IMHO the best one is Ampitheater but it was reserved up when I called last winter and I am not willing to take a chance on the first-come sites being open. So I reserved a site at the 4J as best second option.

Anyway hopefully everyone will find a home and enjoy the Summit.

Ace

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stayed at the KOA last year. Great place. No problems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We stayed at KOA the first night then the Amphitheater the next 3 in 07 and 08 both were great, but we spent so little time at the campgrounds during our stay 08 that this year we are going to stay in town at 4J+1 so we can walk to and from HQ.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
stayed at the KOA last year and loved it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Checked today for availability for everything listed on the website, and everything is booked, cant find anywhere with an open tent spot. The ampitheatre has spots, but they are first come first serve. I cant rely on driving all the way there and someone be parked there. This sux, not sure what Im gonna do now....

I would call and confirm that first come first serve idea at the amphitheater...
I reserved and paid for my spot there back in march. The guy told me that it was the last spot available for the 4 day block.

I am going to have one truck and 2 people, max of 2 vehicles and 8 people so plenty of room. if it gets desperate out there i would be happy to share my rented ground...cute single girls between the ages of 21-35 preferred.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Currently at the 4F&J, but it is possible that the wife can make it now. I am looking for a hotel room that is pet friendly (8lbs).

·
Registered
936 Posts
I reserved a spot at the ampitheater a couple of months before the summit registration opened up, got to choose from the whole campground. Alot of the sites are not trailer friendly. Although its not as close as the 4j campground, Its alot nicer IMO, last year there was a fox hanging out and a couple of nice bucks also. In '08 I didn't have a site reserved but was able to get one of the first come first served sites. Just get friendly with the campground host and tell them your with the FJ Summit and they will probaly make an extra effort to get you in. There is quite a few first come sites there.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I was in Ouray last month and checked out 4J and the Amphitheater campgrounds.

IMHO, the Amphitheater is better for tents and 4J is better suited for trailers and RVs. Didn't look at all of 4J, but didn't see any secluded or shaddy sites for tents there, just a wide open gravel lot w/hookups. The best feature of 4J is the location -- which is w/in walking distance of the business district.

The Amphitheater has a great view of the town from an overlook, but would be a bit of a pain to drive up to more than 1-2 times a day. It has a lot of very nice tent sites (but only a few sites large enough for my FJ w/a 10 ft Horizon Adventure trailer attached). So, don't even consider taking a travel trailer or RV (over 20 feet) up there, even though the Forest Service says 35ft is the limit, because the 2 loop roads in the campground are VERY tight and narrow.

Have fun! :wave:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I was lucky enough to grab rooms at the Best Western, but I have to move one night. I really need to find a place to camp on Wednesday night. If I get a spot somewhere and some one want's it when I leave, I'll do my best to hold it for a FJC owner......Man I can't wait for this event:clap::rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I am using one of my expedition trailers at the KOA, but plan to take it one night up on imogene and spend the nite, any takers. I want to see the stars on top of imogene late at night, I can not even imagine that, plus camping by one of the creek crossings would be fantastic. A couple others have already said they are interested.

Space 18 at the KOA. Have stayed there all three years, no real problems and they have a great breakfast.

I did get yelled at once by the camp nazi for going the wrong way down a 25 foot road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts