Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So took the FJ on it's first of many camping trips. Amazingly we managed to pack everything for 5 people camping AND ALL 5 PEOPLE! WOW! Love this thing... I didn't think I was going to be able to get it all packed into the FJ, but made it work. I was also very impressed how well it drove with the 5 people and equipment. Didn't get to do any really wheeling since we had 5 people in the truck, and that would start to get a little uncomfortable. Anyhow, we camped off of Schnebly Hill road which is east of Sedona AZ, and South-southwest of Flagstaff AZ. Here are some pics:

The FJ:

Camp:

Meadow next to our camp:

The view from camp:

View from Schnebly Hill Vista overlooking Sedona AZ:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Nice pics I love the area Schnebly hill is soo fun to ride my dirt board down:D and the jeep tours get a kick out of it too!

Cool pics glad you had fun!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics I love the area Schnebly hill is soo fun to ride my dirt board down:D and the jeep tours get a kick out of it too!

Cool pics glad you had fun!
Thanks man! Yea you know camping, it is always a blast. That road would be fun on a dirt board. The Jeep tours out there are something else. During a Offroad Nissans of Arizona Broken Arrow trail run they were actually stopping and watching a few things we were doing. The passengers were gasping and cheering as if they were watching the Superbowl. HAHAHA!! One lady even said "you guys are crazy, why would you want to do that in your own truck!?!?!" Good times...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I got the same reaction at broken arrow but that was when our truck first came out:rofl: I love it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did ya hit up any other trails?
Nah, we didn't do a single bit of wheeling since we had five in the truck and it was a quick trip. Well other than driving on the forest roads to get to camp, but I don't consider that or Schnebly Hill wheeling. This weekend may be the first time we really get wheel the FJ. I am taking my girlfriend out to Saguaro Coves to teach her a few things behind the wheel. Remember the FJ is technically hers, and the truck is mine. She wants to get comfortable enough to drive the FJ on all the trails we usually do around here.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Nice sounds like fun! It really helped me understand trail leading teaching my girlfriend how to drive the MT on some hard runs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice sounds like fun! It really helped me understand trail leading teaching my girlfriend how to drive the MT on some hard runs.
Yea she has rode shotty with me on tons of trails, so she has a good idea what the trails look like and how a vehicle reacts on certain terrain. The Coves has good hill climbs, rocks, off-camber stuff, and sand so I should be able to teach her how/when to use the locker and the A-TRAC. I agree with you though. This will be a learning experience for my self too since I have never actually "taught" someone how to wheel.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Same thing with TrAiLbUsTy1 she has been on so many trails..it was also cool because she learned how hard it actually is to do what i do:D
It will be good for ya just be calm and let her take the reigns

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same thing with TrAiLbUsTy1 she has been on so many trails..it was also cool because she learned how hard it actually is to do what i do:D
HAHAHAHA!! "TrAiLbUsTy1" that's awesome...

She indeed will take the reigns and I will sit calmly and quietly in the passenger seat haha. I think I will run an obstacle first and then let her try it. Then start letting her pick her own lines and try a few things.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yeah when she first showed interest in joining this place and my other forum we brain stormed for about 5 minutes about a name..and that just came to us:rofl:

Very cool post up pics when the time comes, if ya ever want to come down here to romp. Hit me up I shall show you some good trails:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah when she first showed interest in joining this place and my other forum we brain stormed for about 5 minutes about a name..and that just came to us:rofl:

Very cool post up pics when the time comes, if ya ever want to come down here to romp. Hit me up I shall show you some good trails:D
Very cool... I just might take you up on that. I have ran Chiva in my truck before and would love to run some of the others down that way. We will wait to take the FJ down there untill we get a lift, which may be within the next month or two.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The AZFJers baptized me at box canyon a few weeks ago. I love MT and all.....but I was told it was a newbie run (apparently a more of a newbie rock crawler run of sorts) and was REALLY scared a few times on steep inclines after coming to a stop with big rocks and boulders in my path and a clutch with which to maneuver.

It was indeed a blast though...I have to admit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The AZFJers baptized me at box canyon a few weeks ago. I love MT and all.....but I was told it was a newbie run (apparently a more of a newbie rock crawler run of sorts) and was REALLY scared a few times on steep inclines after coming to a stop with big rocks and boulders in my path and a clutch with which to maneuver.

It was indeed a blast though...I have to admit.
We have an AT so that should be one less thing to worry about. I was thinking about taking her out to Box Canyon and letting her run that, but Saguaro Coves is a little closer to me and it can be as easy or as difficult as you like. I do like the fact that Box Canyon has the big rock in the middle of the canyon that you have to get over and the waterfall if you come out via Cottonwood Rd, both of which will really get a newbie going but are very doable in a stock FJ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts