Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas, we barely have ice and snow but when we do, I need to get around due to my job.

I am about to buy a FJ but I don't plan on off roading, so could really save some cash buy getting the 4x2.

I'd like to know if the 4x2 will drive ok in snow. My hummer H3 AWD does a great job but I'm turning it in off lease to buy the FJ which in really like. We recently had a ice/snowstorm and my Hummer passed several cars, trucks and suv's with their rear wheels spinning going nowhere. Will I have this same problem in a 4x2 FJ or will its traction features get me by as good as the Hummer did?

I assume the 4x2 bashers will chime in on this, but I'm really only interested in the technical answer. Do I require a 4x4 or a 4x2 for my driving needs.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
No you do not require a 4X4. But, in the conditions that Texas just experienced you will notice a big difference between the 4X2 and 4X4. The AT (part time) and 6MT 4X4 (full time) have different systems that you might consider if you decide on a 4X4.

With a 4X2 you could consider tire selction and/or chains/cables to improve traction for those rare times you need it.

Resale value might be a future consideration. Good Luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
It's not about 4x2, 4x4 or even brand of vehicle that can handle the snow.

Its all about the driver - Can the driver handle the snow?

A good driver in a 4x2 can out drive a poor driver in 4x4.

Have confidence on your abilities, slow and steady wins the race in winter driving.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
The good news is Texas probably won't get another snow storm like that until your FJ is worn out. :)

If you're buying new, think about resale values. Around here, a 2007 4wd is still going for $20K (+/- a couple grand depending on specifics). A 2wd is down around $13K. 4wd holds value much better so I think paying a couple thousand extra up front is worth it.

If you're buying used, you're right. You can save a lot by buying a 2wd. If it's all you need, why not?

·
Registered
483 Posts
like what mikey and snafu said about driver and tires, but i will say i drive a lot with rwd even in the snow unless it gets over an inch because while going up a steep hill if there are pockets of ice, the traction controll will cut power to the wheels, leaving you stranded, i think the 4wd is good to have as a fail safe and 4low is when sh*t gets deep

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in north Texas and we get good snow up here every year. You can get by with 4x2 I drove a truck for years and never had problems, put a little weight in the back and watch where you go. Nothing works good on ice, maybe chains or something. The 4x4 will have better resell value and may be easier to sell. I would get the 4x4!

·
Registered
317 Posts
NO IT CAN'T
listen, i have an auto so i can drive in 4x2 and 4x4. trust me the 4x2 is total CRAP in the snow, and im talking worthless. i have brand new awesome tires and it still sucks. the FJ has a lot of power going to the back wheels, and compared to the weight in the front is lighter weight in the back over the axel being powered (rear wheel drive) and this kills traction in bad weather. its been snowing a lot up here in the midwest this year and if i try to drive in 4x2 it gets completely stuck on hills, deep snow and ice. switch to 4x4 and it moves no problems at all.

if you are spending $20,000+ why not spend the extra couple hundred and get a true all wheel drive SUV. your resale alone will be worth it. and you won't look like a chump gettings stranded in the snow with an FJ LOLOLOL.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I personally think 4x4 is well worth it when you are buying an SUV.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I live in snow, and on a mountain, and I do have a 4x4 but that being said I drive 99% of the time in 2WD in the snow. Good winter tires and a functioning brain will get you through most anything.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
317 Posts
I live in snow, and on a mountain, and I do have a 4x4 but that being said I drive 99% of the time in 2WD in the snow. Good winter tires and a functioning brain will get you through most anything.

DEWFPO
"Good winter tires and a functioning brain will get you through most anything."

that is not true at all. intelligence has absolutely nothing to do with the terrible traction a rear wheel drive vehicle has in certain bad driving conditions. i would argue that a functioning brain would enable someone to make the better and prudent decision to not buy an FJ cruiser in 2x4,because of compromised traction and resale.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's not about 4x2, 4x4 or even brand of vehicle that can handle the snow.

Its all about the driver - Can the driver handle the snow?

A good driver in a 4x2 can out drive a poor driver in 4x4.

Have confidence on your abilities, slow and steady wins the race in winter driving.
It is always the drivers fault, winter driving is about going driving smart, doesn't matter much on what your driving.

Ill give it to the other guys you can drive a lot faster with 4wd but when all 4 wheels lock up on ice is doesn't matter if your a 4x4 or 4x2.

2wd is fine and you will get better gas mileage if that is what your looking for.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
To sum it up.
4X2
1. cheaper
2. worse re-sale.
3. Better mpg.
4X4
1. more money
2. better re-sale.
3. go more places.
4. Worse mpg.
It's 4 to 3. Get the 4X4. :lol: But it's your money and your decision. There, I just covered my butt. :lol:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Had to tow my buddies 4x2 last week in dfws ice/ snow storm. His 4x2 was no better than a camry.

·
Registered
493 Posts

DEWFPO
+1 to this...

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
"Good winter tires and a functioning brain will get you through most anything."

that is not true at all. intelligence has absolutely nothing to do with the terrible traction a rear wheel drive vehicle has in certain bad driving conditions. i would argue that a functioning brain would enable someone to make the better and prudent decision to not buy an FJ cruiser in 2x4,because of compromised traction and resale.

Resale reschmale, buying a vehicle based on resale is silly.

Driving in terrible conditions is all mental, turn the radio off, concentrate on what the vehicle is doing and how you are going to react. I'd be happy to drive cirlcles around you in a 4x2.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Had to tow my buddies 4x2 last week in dfws ice/ snow storm. His 4x2 was no better than a camry.
After watching the news down here during the "storm", it was very clear that 99% of the drivers have no idea how to drive in these conditions. Then again no one expects you to because these conditions down here are rare as hens teeth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I pulled a woman out of a ditch when we got a bunch of snow down here in the DFW area about a month ago (she slid off the road in her minvan, no damage surprisingly). I'm a total 4x4 newb, but I've got to say that there was no way I could have pulled her out without 4 wheel drive and all terrains. Get the 4x4 :rocker:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts