Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your front license plate mounted on a tube bumper?

I live in VA and they require a front license plate and would like to see where and how some of you guys have mounted them. The bumper I am mainly curious about is the Metal Tech tuber. It sucks having to deal with this dumb law...I may press my luck.

Thanks if you can help.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hey Steve...Ask the DMV to provide you the current criteria of mounting plates on any after market bumpers... You should be able to look into California sub forums and just copycat what thier doing... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Hey Steve...Ask the DMV to provide you the current criteria of mounting plates on any after market bumpers... You should be able to look into California sub forums and just copycat what thier doing... :cheers:
I'm not sure if you want to ask the DMV about the aftermarket bumper. Is it technically legal? :D

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, sounds like a task I will ask my wife to do:) Since she has to go to DMV tomorrow:thinkerg:

·
Registered
43 Posts
we have that law n utah too but it not really enforced. of course they probably use it as an excuse to stop peaple. I hav a allpro bumper with a winch and havent had a issue

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,803 Posts
we have that law n utah too but it not really enforced. of course they probably use it as an excuse to stop peaple. I hav a allpro bumper with a winch and havent had a issue
In Oregon the law requires a plate in front as well. I ran many years with out. I had zero issues, but I decided why push it. I don't need to give them a reason to pull me over.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
In California as long as it in plain view and mounted with bolts... No tape or safety wire it will be fine. The cops just want to see the plate clearly.
I don't run a front plate bc I don't like how they look. It's been 21/2 years and I haven't been stopped.... Well I have never run a front plate and I have only been stopped 1x for front plate violation in 20 years

·
Registered
193 Posts

I used a plastic license plate bracket like this: License Plate Mounting Bracket w/ Screws - Product Preview... got it from Walmart. I had some scrap metal brackets. I bolted those to the bash plate tabs on the Metal-Tech Bumper. Then I bolted the plastic backing plate to the metal brackets. It angels the plate up just a hair, and the forward tube is sort of in front of the corner of the plate. It still is in perfect view though so its technically not blocked in any way. So it's legal for California standards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts